bennisboy

• 8 replies
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      What is your motivation for playing poker?
      To give me something to take my mind off a tedious job hunt, and use it to improve my rationalisation and decision making skills, while making some pocket money on the side.

What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      I play when tired, but that is because I'm still recovering from jet lag. Previously I was a student, so always tired. I also have trouble letting a hand go, i.e. I try to bluff a bit too much. Not outrageous bluffs, but probably too many 2-barrel cbets. I don't think I get to showdown often enough with hands that have showdown value, but can't stand up to big pots

What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      Playing TAG means picking your spots to play well, and taking the initiative in those spots. You play very tight in EP and loosen up as you move towards the BU.

You play aggressively, without limping, and keep the pressure on opponents making them make tough decisions. When you enter a pot, you do so when you are able to raise.
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?

Looking at the starting hands chart, it appears to be geared to FR rather than the more aggressive 6max. In SH, I would play AK more aggressively against a raise behind, Most likely a 4bet to try to take the pot down preflop.

I also feel that QQ/JJ do not need to be folded to a 3b in SH, I would quite happily 4b them due to the loser nature and wider range of most SH players

Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.

NL5 JJ Speedpoker

What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo.
      46%
      This is almost a coinflip, but would be a slightly losing long-run play in the long run
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      You are holding KsQs. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 3d3c? How does the equity change on this flop: Js5d3s?

Your preflop equity is roughly a coinflip, you have two overcards to the 33.

After the flop, your equity is roughly 26.5%, this means you will lose 3 out of 4 times the hand is played if you were to go all in on the flop. You have odds of roughly 1:3 to win the hand.

What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)

No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24

Preflop: Hero is CO with AcJc

5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.

Flop: ($0.25) 2c6d3d (3 players)

BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.

Turn: ($0.25) 5c (3 players)

BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

If we are to stay in the hand, we must call $0.22 more to have a chance of winning $0.91

This means we have pot odds of 91:22, or slightly better than 4:1.
      If we look at our odds, we can be sure of the best hand if we hit the flush (BU unlikely to call with 3c4c which would be drawing to the straight flush), so we can assume we have 9 clean outs. We have odds of 4.11:1 to make the best hand on the river.

The ratio of pot odds to equity is tight for a call.

From the villain's raise, it is my assumption that he would have some kind of made hand and is trying to protect or extract value. From his actions, we could assume either 2 pair, sets or a straight.

Considering the factors for implied odds;

Both are fully stacked, so we can double up with a win
      Villain is representing a strong hand
      Our flush is well disguised, we checked on the flop, and bet out on the turn.

I think we can make a call here, given that implied odds are swinging the odds in our favor

Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. NL5 67s
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Sorry for delayed answer, I have been moving to new country so it did take me to set up everything at my place, now I am back and starting to evaluate the homeworks.

Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Playing tired can cause a lot problems. Usually you are moody when tired and get easily angry. Which means you get tilty that brings towards you playing less your A-game. Also lets not forget that you ain't concentrating enough and watching the game which is the worst part. You have to find a way to adjust to tilt. For example against tilt:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Another option against tilt is to set yourself shorter sessions which might avoid you from tilting. If you playing longer sessions then it's more likely that during that session you can get upset. So work on your game and try to find out what makes you tilt and try to fight against it.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy being with us here and will enjoy the course. In any case you have questions about anything then feel free to ask it, I will try to respond as soon I read it.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Looking at the starting hands chart, it appears to be geared to FR rather than the more aggressive 6max. In SH, I would play AK more aggressively against a raise behind, Most likely a 4bet to try to take the pot down preflop.

You mean going broke or what's the purpose of the 4bet? Practically there are a lot of situations where you would be overplaying AK if you playing for the stacks almost always. Strongly recommend posting those hands.

I also feel that QQ/JJ do not need to be folded to a 3b in SH, I would quite happily 4b them due to the loser nature and wider range of most SH players

The same applies as for AK type of hand, you can easily overvalue your hand by always going broke. For example why would you consider 3bet/4bet going broke vs UTG range? Or vs a nitty opponent, you practically just can't do it and will rarely show huge profit with it.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      Question 1

NL5SH Rush KQs

NL5SH Rush KQs

Question 2

NL10 SH JAs

Question 3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      MP3    58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

We have 10 clean outs to give us the best hand. We also have great implied odds if the T hits because this gives villain a straight, but we have the nut straight
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you.