AA / KK hands?

• noz03
      noz03
      Bronze
      I'm sure someone has asked this same question but as the search doesnt allow 2 letter words I couldn't find it :)

So anyway, how do you play aa / kk hands, on micro levels? In the early, middle and push fold stages?? What ever I seem to do I feel like my opponents can bloody smell it on me and never call. Just had it on the first hand of the game, min raised it from utg and EVERYONE folds... I try min raising around 10bb p/f against fish, but really seem to be getting too many folds.

So what should I do? Should I just check call it and hope they hit on the flop? Or should I just be more aggressive?
  • 4 replies
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      So, as a first guide line- don't play AA/KK differently than what you would with all the other hands u would raise preflop. Meaning- keep the same sizing, don't do unusual things like limping the MP with 10bb or so. Second guide line- play them in a way you can extract max value vs the opponents you are facing, but that skill requires time- until then- follow the first guide line.

Don't min raise AA/KK in the first blind levels, especially from early position. You need value, you need protection, you want to be able to get all the chips in by the river. You don't want to see multiway pots with AA/KK, cuz this is where the trouble comes from. If there is a raise in front and stack sizes are deep- always 3bet. Usually around 2.5-3x depending on eff. stack sizes/position. If there is a 3bet- 4bet with the intention of getting all the chips in.

They probably don't smell what u have as people playing the micros are generally bad, even the regs. But you need to know the fundamentals in order to be successful at these stakes.

Be aggressive with these hands. Don't limp. Don't min raise unless you have like 12-25bb eff or so.
    • noz03
      noz03
      Bronze
      So at 12-25bbs you should minraise? Why not 2x min? How about with 12bbs, just shove it?

What about if you know that the player(s) behind you are stations and will always try to take middle pairs to showdown? Isn't there a way to exploit that?
    • Castle93
      Castle93
      Bronze
      Dont try and get tricky by slowplaying them and getting to get paid off by crap hands, just be agro and try and get as much money pre flop in a possible, obviously its a different game post flop.

Originally posted by noz03
      So at 12-25bbs you should minraise? Why not 2x min? How about with 12bbs, just shove it?

What about if you know that the player(s) behind you are stations and will always try to take middle pairs to showdown? Isn't there a way to exploit that?

depends on the table and your table image, if you ve got guys that are relentlessly restealing minraises just minraise, but if they ve got a load of passive calling stations, ship it.

Alex :)
    • clydePHP
      clydePHP
      Bronze
      learn preflop and post flop play i guess. you obviously open AA and KK 3-4BB from any position