Some Motivation Tips?

• maythany

Lately I haven't been playing my original style at the tables. It's probably because I'm not getting the expected results that I want so I change up my style and play A LOT looser and.. what's the term... hyper aggressive?

My VPIP from my last 5 games, if I remember correctly was 50+ and PfAggr was something like 3.0+. The funny thing is I was able to accumulate more chips than my original style, but I know that I definitely got lucky on a bunch of hands and I was playing "bingo" rather than poker.

A long the road, I lost my motivation to play poker and I don't want to quit because I only got about 300 SNG tournaments down (a month playing straight) and it's too early to see if I'm a losing player or not. I also take breaks in-between sessions so I'm more focused when I multi-table again.

To me, being motivated is extremely important in a poker player's career. It builds confidence, a positive expectation, and overall a level headed person.

What I am asking is if you guys can provide me with some tips on how to be motivated again. Some people watch videos, and I have seen some that I can relate to but it doesn't strike home if you know what I mean.

Videos? Articles? Blogs? Stories?

Anything is appreciated.

(I'm a micro stakes player BTW, a lot of crazy Sh$T happens there.)
  • 3 replies
    • ragney
      What do you play? SNGs what? HT's? 180man? 6man?

There is a difference between motivation and improving/study game. Motivation is more used to play more volume to reach a goal but it sounds that [I][b]you think you have a leak but un-sure.[/B][/I]
    • maythany

I play the 2 table 18 man sng tournament at PokerStars. It's very possible that I have a leak in my game, I'm just not aware of it. I've been making a lot of final tables and the only times I take an early exit is if my kk for example gets beaten by AKs.

• Schnitzelfisch
      Hey there,

The simplest and most effective technique for staying motivated is:

1. Write a vision statement ( 1st chapter of my productivity guide )
      2. Review your vision statement each morning to motivate yourself.
      3. Read the vision statement each evening and hold yourself accountable for living in line with it.

In case that the vision statement stops being motivating, you should improve it/edit it so that it becomes motivating again.