UTG+1: $7.31
      UTG+2: $5.00
      MP: $5.29
      MP+1: $8.34
      CO: $5.01
      BTN: $5.34

Hero posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.05

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has A:heart: A:club:

UTG raises to $0.15, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, BTN calls $0.15, Hero raises to $0.60, fold, UTG calls $0.45, fold

Flop: ($1.40, 2 players) 8:heart: 8:diamond: 9:diamond:
      Hero bets $1.10, UTG calls $1.10

Turn: ($3.60, 2 players) 2:club:
      Hero bets $2.10, UTG calls $2.10

River: ($7.80, 2 players) 5:spade:
      Hero bets $1.95, UTG calls $1.91 and is all-in

Hero shows A:heart: A:club: (Two Pair, Aces and Eights) (Pre 77%, Flop 9%, Turn 5%)
      UTG shows 9:spade: 8:spade: (Full House, Eights full of Nines) (Pre 23%, Flop 91%, Turn 95%)
      UTG wins $11.14

89 UTG wtf?
  • 3 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      preflop sizing is good.

we could argue about postflop bet sizings (like 60% flop-turn-river or pot flop-shove turn) but in any case there is not much else to do on this board other than ship the monies. :f_biggrin:

result is unfortunate, but if he has 98s he probably also has all pocket pairs and other random draws.
    • prime333
      prime333
      Basic
      Considering he reised UTG my range of him preflop was QQ-10. I knew he didn't have AA or KK or he would have pushed pre flop. I can't see anyone staying away from this trap I bet even Tom Dwan would go broke in this spot. X(
    • bmfbpi
      bmfbpi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by prime333
      Considering he reised UTG my range of him preflop was QQ-10. I knew he didn't have AA or KK or he would have pushed pre flop. I can't see anyone staying away from this trap I bet even Tom Dwan would go broke in this spot. X(
      he wouldn't

now let me explain
      your range for UTG is correct ...for 2005.
      games are constantly changing, and what began at the high stakes years and years ago is slowly but surely getting into the micros(with all the forums, videos etc that are around)

normally, when you are UTG you learn to raise your tightest range because you will be OOP for the rest of the hand. When you are playing with the same players all the time (this started in high stakes), you can't have static ranges, because sooner or later your opponents are going to read you like a book.

what these guys started doing is they started raising hands UTG that you wouldn't normally raise, like 78s, 65s, 89s, etc to become harder to read. Mind you, they are not raising QTs UTG(maybe some do, but most don't), because QTs is a hand with high reverse implied odds. Opponent's calling ranges include a lot of QJo/s, QKo/s, QAo/s, and you will find yourself often value-betting yourself because you are dominated so often by your opponent's calling range.

now, 78s, 89s etc are hands with high implied odds. because you are raising this UTG not so advanced opponents will not put those hands in your UTG raising range. But you do have to have post-flop skills to be able to play these hands profitable from UTG.

what was your 3bet at the table ? what is your overall 3bet ?
      if I raise UTG 89s and a player 3bets me, the first thing i look at is his 3bet stat. If it is little i call, because i know he 3bets for value, and if I hit i have a very high chance of taking his stack, which is exactly what happened in your case.

hope this helps

PS: don't go opening 78s, 89s, etc from UTG now until you have more post-flop skills. also do not do this at NL5. there is no need for this. just play solid TAG ABC poker and you'll do fine at the micros.