Don't play this game!

• BObamaJr
      BObamaJr
      Bronze
      Poker is an anxiety-inducing, stressful, useless and unjust game that inevitably produces only fleeting moments of enjoyment and dissatisfaction throughout.

After one year of playing I have come to the conclusion this game is a waste of time. The game creates stress and anxiety while playing and away from the felt. It produces only a marginal return for investment ($/hr) when one considers the study/review/discussion/installation/chat involved (at least for stakes up to NL100). It is an intensely unsatisfying experience - it produces nothing of tangible value for others or our world, it is an innately selfish return and only generates misery for the recreational gamblers who continue to lose. It transforms player's personality types by restricting their social contact and turning many to a digital addiction. The game also is incredibly unhealthy and creates players that are slobby and unfit.

To those who play currently - if you analyse your reasons for playing I am sure that stopping will produce a more beneficial outcome for you, your fitness, your social life, your family and and your general satisfaction and wellbeing.

Think about it - do you want to spend your life generating misery for others, producing only financial wealth, degenerating your physical condition, creating nothing of tangible value for yourselves, your world and your legacy, restricting your access to knowledge and meaningful pursuits and creating a lifeless, self-obsessed digital blob? Really?
  • 38 replies
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BObamaJr
      Poker is an anxiety-inducing, stressful, useless and unjust game that inevitably produces only fleeting moments of enjoyment and dissatisfaction throughout.

After one year of playing I have come to the conclusion this game is a waste of time. The game creates stress and anxiety while playing and away from the felt. It produces only a marginal return for investment ($/hr) when one considers the study/review/discussion/installation/chat involved (at least for stakes up to NL100). It is an intensely unsatisfying experience - it produces nothing of tangible value for others or our world, it is an innately selfish return and only generates misery for the recreational gamblers who continue to lose. It transforms player's personality types by restricting their social contact and turning many to a digital addiction. The game also is incredibly unhealthy and creates players that are slobby and unfit.

To those who play currently - if you analyse your reasons for playing I am sure that stopping will produce a more beneficial outcome for you, your fitness, your social life, your family and and your general satisfaction and wellbeing.

Think about it - do you want to spend your life generating misery for others, producing only financial wealth, degenerating your physical condition, creating nothing of tangible value for yourselves, your world and your legacy, restricting your access to knowledge and meaningful pursuits and creating a lifeless, self-obsessed digital blob? Really?
      +1

I'm going to rescue kittens from trees and found an orphanage instead. That's over and out from me. Although I am worried that mrsjb actually likes me out of the way of an evening and my marriage may suffer. Hmmmmmm. Tough choices.....
    • sileekhunt
      sileekhunt
      Bronze
      I understand what your saying, but isn't your average person (e.g. in the UK) watching a similar amount of TV or playing video games or doing drugs or getting pissed or w/e & wasting a similar amount of time in a day with no brain exercise/possibility of return.
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Bobamajr at his best.
    • mmohoric
      mmohoric
      Basic
      Let me say something about playing poker. For me it is just a hobby for now. Before that i bougt a lot of rc cars, planes ... and put all my time in to modeling. For about 4 hours per day. But if i mention money investment in these hoby... it is too much.. every month about 200€.. too much in the end.

So i put models on side and start playng poker. I play it for fun. And if some money comes out of it, even bether.
      It is fun game.. and i play poker for about a year now an my investment was only 40€. Only deposit i made in a year.

So these is my opinion.

And sorry for my english... i hope you'll understandt these post.

Best regards

Marko
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      Yes, I absolutely do! Let me elaborate...

I see you are a man who likes to think deeply about society and economy. I like to do that too. And the thesis I've found to be true is: Stupid people must be parted from their money as soon as possible! Think abut it. What will idiots use their money on? Alcohol, cheap entertainment, drugs... Their use of money hardly ever contributes something positive to overall stance of society and economy. Therefore it's best if they are in possession of their monetary assets for as short of a time as possible.

I use poker as a medium to enforce this thesis. Yesterday I used that money to buy my kid a bike and go to theatre. I'm happy, my kid is happy, bike manufacturers are happy and actors at the theatre are happy. Would you rather see that money flowing down some violent and dumb drunkards throat?
    • mmohoric
      mmohoric
      Basic
      Fuzzyfish + 1
    • BObamaJr
      BObamaJr
      Bronze
      It is a generalisation to class all poor players as 'idiots' (true in most cases but not all) but I agree with what you are saying here.
    • martoman2k10
      martoman2k10
      Bronze
      I'd rather play poker than watch shitty tv shows - news are included in this. In fact, people watching the news is like the biggest waste of time going. How productive is it to watch the news? 1) it doesnt ACTUALLY show what is happening in the world 2) it's all depressing news
    • BObamaJr
      BObamaJr
      Bronze
      Originally posted by martoman2k10
      I'd rather play poker than watch shitty tv shows - news are included in this. In fact, people watching the news is like the biggest waste of time going. How productive is it to watch the news? 1) it doesnt ACTUALLY show what is happening in the world 2) it's all depressing news
      It depends which news channel. Al Jazeera and BBC WN are relatively informative, help people take action on current events and inform people of politics which is very important in a democracy. However, I agree, most of the trash that passes off as 'information' is just intuitive thinkers masquerading as intellectuals and stakeholders on Fox News and CNN.
    • needagun
      needagun
      Bronze
      so how much have you lost?
    • Heffron89
      Heffron89
      Bronze
      OP, I agree with you!
    • zobupasts
      zobupasts
      Bronze
      Originally posted by fuzzyfish
      I see you are a man who likes to think deeply about society and economy. I like to do that too. And the thesis I've found to be true is: Stupid people must be parted from their money as soon as possible! Think abut it. What will idiots use their money on? Alcohol, cheap entertainment, drugs... Their use of money hardly ever contributes something positive to overall stance of society and economy. Therefore it's best if they are in possession of their monetary assets for as short of a time as possible.
      lol. Well said!
    • BObamaJr
      BObamaJr
      Bronze
      Originally posted by needagun
      so how much have you lost?
      I've won $14K at an average of 8.4 BB/100 but I don't feel satisfied in the slightest.
    • ninuu
      ninuu
      Bronze

You can say that about many jobs (this includes almost all desk jobs). Haha.
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Its seems like a whine thread from someone who wasted a year playing making 5$/h and can't beat nl100. No wonder you don't wanna play. If your not making at least 50$/h poker is not worth the hard work and the stress. Just because your a breakeven tag fish on nl10 it doesn't mean there's no money to be made from poker, even now making 50$/h is fairly easy even if the games have gotten really tough.
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Oh and as far as stress goes, please show me a job that pays over 3k/month and has 0 stress. Dream on, the only job that has no stress is being something like a janitor for a minimum wage but then you have stress when you don't have the money to pay the bills.
    • CallumN
      CallumN
      Bronze
    • kiromanAAKK
      kiromanAAKK
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MatejM47
      Oh and as far as stress goes, please show me a job that pays over 3k/month and has 0 stress. Dream on, the only job that has no stress is being something like a janitor for a minimum wage but then you have stress when you don't have the money to pay the bills.
      + too much to write (not enough space for all the zero after 1 :D )
    • Zheelvern
      Zheelvern
      Bronze

You can have social life, take care of your fitness & health AND play poker professionally. How? Motherfucking schedule, yo!