[NL2-NL10] Nl2 88, Fr

• Dandiiik
      Hey guys. I do post this hand to evaluation forum so I would pass the homework in lesson 4 of the Beginners Course. The villain is fish 83/19. My special read on him is, that he bluffs on the river. Preflop open raise with pocket 8s. I do that so I would be able to win the hand postflop if I miss and on the other hand when I hit, my hand would not be that obvious. On the flop, there is a problem, that cbets with nothing are useless against a fish like this, because he almost never folds. Anyway I have a midpair and he can call anything practically. On the turn I check for a cheap showdown and when he checks back it looks like he doesnt have a thing so my plan is to call a decent bet on the river. I have a showdown value and he is very likely to bluff with complete air.

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Přehrát handu

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (7 handed)

Known players:
      MP1 (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 8, 8.
      Hero raises to $0.08, 2 folds, CO calls $0.08, 3 folds, 2 folds, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.19) 7, 5, 9 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.14, CO calls $0.14.

Turn: ($0.47) A (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks.

River: ($0.47) T (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $0.22, Hero calls $0.22.

Final Pot: $0.91.

Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of eights(8 8).
      CO shows a pair of tens(T K).

CO wins with a pair of tens(T K).
  • 4 replies
    • jiffybag
      as played i think its fine if you have a read he bluffs river, but you should also note his bet size on the river sometimes fish have bet sizes for air, bottom pair, mid pair and tp, nuts etc, so be sure to take note of that as well. flop cbet is fine he can call with 7x 6x T8 J8 22 33 44 as well as some over cards that he does not 3bet, turn check is fine since Ax is in bunch of his floats, river is a bit tricky especially with 3 over cards to your pair and with a str8 draw getting there thats why i say how much does he bet with his air, but if you have a read go with it and if you wrong make and note and learn from it. What do other players think?
    • Dandiiik
      I think you might be right about the sizing. I cought his bluff once before this hand and that time his bet was almost pot size. So it might mean he bluffs with potsize but bets half size of the pot with mediocre hands. Thank you very much for this. Lets wait what the coach thinks about it. :)
    • PhoenixPhreak
      I think PF and Flop are played fine.
      Why did you shut down on the turn?
      If you think he has an A in his range a high % of the time, then I understand, but with those fishy stats, it is unlikely he is in with an A. So, you should represent it!
      Obviously if he re-raises you get out of Dodge.
      As played, on the river, I think it is best to fold. There are a lot of likely hands that beat you from him slowplaying the A to hitting the T. Maybe they are in with a 9, didn't want to raise on the flop, and after seeing you check twice is now getting value.

Seeing the hand the Villain actually had didn't surprise me at all...
    • veriz
      Hello Dandiiik,

2nd barrel the turn instead of Check/Calling or whatever your plan was... If you Check then you Check/Folding though might give up the best hand.

Otherwise I'd just Check/Fold the river, some draws got there, Tx draw type of hands got there.

Best Regards.