My Fingers Walk Across The Keyboard, Making No Real Sense!

• MrMardyBum
      Ah, a fresh new page, now where do I start?!

Well back at the Poker tables, with $50. My only gripe at the moment is that the traffic on iPoker is still pretty inconsequential at the times I have free to play, leaving me not having a game at my limits, the only place with traffic within the realms of my roll is Speed Poker NL5.
      So my time is currently divided between NL2 6-max, and NL5 Speed 6-max, and the speed software runs pretty poorly in comparisson to Zoom or Rush, I had one period last night where there were 140+ players were seated and 4 folds in a row I was BB then I was SB once and the tables only ever had 3 or 4 other players. I just thought that was a bit odd, out of 140 possible players it never managed to fill a table.

Just passed the 5k hand mark and the restart has been okay, but could of been better, on the plus side though I have already found and began to work on 3 - 4 leaks. The main two stats I am not overly confident with is my 4-Bet and River call eff. Both are abnormal in the face of the average winning players. Although, only a small sample to go on at the moment, trying to stay on the right side of things now can only help later.
      However I am finding that actively increasing the 4-bets and by understanding them better, this is affecting my willingness to give up pots, and I think it's because of the increased pot size.

I do have a graph but it's not 100% due to some kind of HEM2 screw-up, so I've downloaded the PT4 trial until I can investigate further, and I have the graph I have to go with for now until I can sort out the HEM2 issues.

On that note here it is: I'm sticking to the BB/100 graphs because I am playing across levels.

It's bit flater than I hoped it would be, but it's a start.

On a personal note, 1st October (or Stoptober) is a month for hopefully big change, on the list so far is:

Give up Smoking - Nicotine and the other.
      Excercise, I have some weights so will start there.
      Change my job - I've had a few offers to consider, All Bar Supervisor/Assis. Manager positions, but not sure I wanna work in a bar anymore, kills my social life!
      Plan studies around new job, and use savings account for smaller courses throughout the year and Sept '13.

Giving up smoking will definitely be the hardest, as I've smoked for 15 years and had a couple of failed attempts, but I have been told by my Doc that I really should give up now after the recent problems with my lung, I quote. "Although smoking wasn't the cause it really didn't help the recovery process". And I'm not going to lie, I really can feel it if I smoke a lot during the day.
      Also, I am currently working my through the books of Dickens and have noticed I smoke a lot less while reading so that should help a bit also.

Anyway, back to the Poker, I don't really have much of a plan at the moment, I just want to play and improve within a rough BRM and see where it goes, I do really want to get off the iPoker network though and with FTP re-opening soon, I may have to have a wander back to what now seems so very long ago. I am genuinely excited about playing there again, and with Stars in charge it can ONLY be better than it was before, especially if they keep the essence of the FTP loyalty system - Iron Man etc.

I'll leave it there for now, this post is already larger than I first thought it would be. Good luck at the tables :)
  • 8 replies
    • DrDunne
      Hello MrMardyBum :)

this is pretty concise and to the point and im looking forward to following this. looks like a very good start to the build especially with the finding/plugging leaks thing. and yeah small sample to look at the 4bet stats so i wouldn't even worry.

good job with the non-smoking goal too! i think it's something people only ever really stop when they WANT to. otherwise they stop for a while but they still want to (in the back of their minds) so they pick it back up again. and reading instead of smoking is a pretty cool replacement :D

good luck with it all and i'll be reading.
    • MrMardyBum
      This is what I am working off at the moment to try and stay in the prefered ranges in every area of my game... Plus, just hit 10k hands so was time for an update and thought I'd show you what I've been using.

Core Stats

Obviously SD's are my biggest weakness at the moment and just being able to login and see what my problem areas are is great and I really like the system!

Anyway that took up loads more space than I anticipated so will just say Lost 8 BI's since my highest point, taking my profit from 1000BB's down to a disappointing 200BB's, which although isn't great I have had a bit of bad luck with my big hands meeting other big hands, plus I've paid off 3 or 4 sets as well and lost another 2 to flush over flush. I could of probably got away from around 35% of the hands where I stacked off, but after review with hand judge each spot was pretty marginal so I'm prety happy with how I am playing atm. I'll post a few of the more risky hands later on.

Oh and started non-smoking a day late! But after the staff party on Sunday I needed to smoke to recover!! Anyone day one going okay so far! Probably catch you all in another 5k hands :)

Is PT4 still BB/100 rather than bb/100 btw anyone know?
    • MrMardyBum
      Still kind of struggling to build any kind of momentum, I seem to be getting paid off by shorter stacks and then paying off the large stacks, which obviously is not even close to an ideal situation to be in and it reflects in the current trend of my graph!

I'm definitely making a few mistakes and the worst and most prominant one is bluffing when there is really no need, just becuase I don't think my opponent has anything he can call with and obviously sometimes it works, but it also fails so much playing at micro stakes.

IPoker, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $12.28 (122.8 bb)
      BB: $14.35 (143.5 bb)
      UTG: $17.11 (171.1 bb)
      MP: $8.43 (84.3 bb)
      CO: $10 (100 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $15.20 (152 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 6 8
      UTG folds, MP calls $0.10, CO folds, Hero raises to $0.40, 2 folds, MP calls $0.30

Flop: ($0.95) K J T (2 players)
      MP checks, Hero bets $0.71, MP calls $0.71

Turn: ($2.37) 8 (2 players)
      MP checks, Hero bets $1.77, MP calls $1.77

River: ($5.91) 9 (2 players)
      MP checks, Hero checks

$5.91 pot ($0.39 rake)
      Final Board: K J T 8 9
      MP showed K K and won $5.52 ($2.64 net)
      Hero mucked 6 8 and lost (-$2.88 net)

Giving up smoking and starting to play Poker again at the same time is probably not helping that much either, if I'm honest I am feeling a bit stressed out and the E-Cig I bought to help with the craving isn't really working as well as I hoped, so that could also be a factor.

Thoughts on this hand? Don't know why it doesn't show his stack size ($3.55) - On the river he was all in and he is an unknown.

IPoker, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

BB: $19.23 (384.6 bb)
      Hero (UTG): $16.39 (327.8 bb)
      MP: $1.64 (32.8 bb)
      CO: $0 (0 bb)
      BTN: $7.64 (152.8 bb)
      SB: $1.98 (39.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q A
      Hero raises to $0.20, MP folds, CO calls $0.20, 3 folds

Flop: ($0.47) J 2 A (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.35, CO calls $0.35

Turn: ($1.17) T (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.87, CO calls $0.87

River: ($2.91) 4 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $2.33, Hero folds

$2.91 pot ($0.14 rake)
      Final Board: J 2 A T 4
      Hero mucked Q A and lost (-$1.42 net)
      CO mucked and won $2.77 ($1.35 net)
    • MrMardyBum
      Small update!

All going well, getting my grind on, but not tracked to PS atm, and I am running a blog elsewhere, but hopefully will return to a tracked account soon, meaning I'll be on the site more often. :)

Anyway Profits/losses etc.

Speed Poker: -$64
      6-max: NL2,NL4,NL10 = +$81
      MTT's: +$118
      Bonuses: +$15
      Deposit: $45
      Free Starting BR: +$50

Total BR: $245

Cash hands played: 25,000
      MTT's played: 20

Current Limit: NL10 - 6.1k hands +9.37bb/100 (Includes Speed Poker Hands 3.5k) (w/o SP 2.6k hands @ 29.77bb/100)

As you can see my affliction with speed/zoom/rush poker is still with me (anyone who's read my other blogs will know it's not my strong point AT ALL), I don't know why but it just doesn't agree with me and I can't understand it. On the flip side though my SH standard game is going much better than I first anticipated and for the most part I am running okay and I feel I am playing extremely well. Lost my first massive pot the other day ($56) but got it in as a 64% favourite on the turn... What can you do? Both almost triple stacked 2 pair vs over pair he rivered a flush. I'm over it :)

I am really, really enjoying NL10 and I am glad I got the boost I needed from placing 3rd in an MTT to shoot me away from NL4/5 because it's a soul destroying place, one day of running bad undoes 2 weeks worth of grinding and it's usually because the fish that you've studied so well seem to hit every silly and outlandish draw. At NL10 I find I feel more comfortable and more able to read the players hand strength, and it shows in my HM also...

I've managed to keep tracking my leaks and plug them for the most part, only problem is there is always something somewhere that can be improved, so it's a constant battle to tweak one area while not trying to take anything away from the areas that you are (for the time being) playing well in.

So far (excluding MTT's) I have managed to put in 80 hours since the 24/09/12 which I feel is a pretty decent volume that I could actually increase if I continue to play well and keep posting decent sessions! And if I don't have to move down, which I feel could easily sap the motivation I have to play atm. 20 BI BRM in case anyone is wondering and change at NL50 to 35BI should I be so lucky/skillful to get there.

Anywoo, Good luck people!

• MrMardyBum
      Oh yeah and failed giving up smoking after a week! :(
    • MrMardyBum
      NL10 Update!

Best new artist in my opinion! This girl has style!

All is going well with the move to permanently playijng NL10, although the traffic on iPoker and a few connection issues are making it awkward at times to play. I intend to fiinsh off my deposit bonus, then move on to pastures new.

This contains both speed poker (first 3.5 - 4k) and normal SH tables, and is not 100% accurate due to the issues with HM2, I think I am roughly another 2BI up but it's close enough. The tables on iPoker are so fishy it's unreal, and I will be sad to say goodbye to my buddy list when I've cleared my bonus. But on the flip side, it means I can return to a PS tracked room and also maybe get a more stable poker room with better traffic and a better VIP program.

On a personal note, I feel like I am playing the best Poker of my life, all my decisions (bar a few) are thought out and well executed. Obviously it's a small sample at this limit but I seem to be making all the right moves at the right times and with my bankroll now sitting at $350 I'm starting to prepare for shots at NL20, by simply just watching a few tables when I am not in a session and taking notes on players I get any kind of information on. Obviously still need to get another $50 to start taking shots, but with any luck that should be this week sometime. I have a LOT of spare time this coming week and intend to play as much as possible to hopefully grind up to the $400 mark.

IPoker, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players

MP: $37.23 (372.3 bb)
      CO: $10 (100 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $24.19 (241.9 bb)
      SB: $9.75 (97.5 bb)
      BB: $11.14 (111.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 2 2
      MP raises to $0.35, CO folds, Hero calls $0.35, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.85) 6 2 4 (2 players)
      MP bets $0.85, Hero raises to $3.40, MP raises to $11.05, Hero raises to $23.84 and is all-in, MP calls $12.79

Turn: ($48.53) Q (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: ($48.53) 3 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

$48.53 pot ($2 rake)
      Final Board: 6 2 4 Q 3
      MP showed 6 8 and lost (-$24.19 net)
      Hero mucked 2 2 and won $46.53 ($22.34 net)

Biggest pot so far! Aggro fish, I had been waiting over an hour to catch him and my patience paid off in full!

Anyway, keep grinding folks,

• gadget51
      Take it from a professional, get rid of the smokes and your life will become real again, especially if you have a family that need and love you.
      If I can cold turkey from 140+ a day, then truly anyone can.
      Dump them now.

Hate cigs, rant over, have fun. :)
    • Wriggers
      Playing poker and giving up smoking are not 2 things that go hand in hand ;) But GL with it!