playing raise/fold vs. calling SB heads up

• gggeorgio
      gggeorgio
      Bronze
      My main question is while playing heads up, at what times is it better to

A) just call from the small blind with marginal hands due to the fact that you're getting at least 3:1 (even better with antes) and that you have the advantage of playing the rest of the hand in position.

B) play raise or fold from the small blind, basically pushing your chips based on ICM and the % that you're hand has going heads up against a random hand.

The way I've been playing it so far is that I play push or fold for sure if I'm below 10 BB, and mostly raise or fold between 10-20 BB.

The times that I'm less certain what to do is when I have more than 20BB and get dealt pretty bad cards... I want to call to see a flop in position, but at the same time it can lead to some bad situations post flop. I know it also greatly depends on my opponents postflop play, since I'm much happier to call in position against a weak opponent.

Anyways, I'd appreciate any advice from more experienced players/coaches as I'm just starting out :)
  • 4 replies
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      I usually call most hands in the SB, even bad ones.. you don't wanna be giving ur opponents loads of free chips.. I might fold the occasional really bad hand (like 72o :) ) if they fold their SB sometimes too.
      If they're super aggressive I might fold a bit more and wait for strong cards (Ax/any PP is usually strong heads up) and push to their raise.
      You should also raise (or push depending on your stack) cards like JT, QJ, KT, Ax and the occasional steal with bad cards if you think ur opponent is playing too tight... Lol once I did this with T2 and the flop came TTx vs their AA which they just called hoping to trap me :D .
      Anyway thats just my opinion, would like to hear one from someone more experienced.
    • JD888
      JD888
      Bronze
      Originally posted by p0kerQT
      If they're super aggressive I might fold a bit more and wait for strong cards
      why would you do that ? againt someone who is very aggressive you can easily loosen up yourself because your above average hands might be very good against his "any 2" that he is raising. the aggressive opponents want you to be impressed and tight don't get passive if some one puts the aggression on you.
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      I know don't get too passive, but you get a lot of crappy hands heads up n u don't really want to call eg. 63 if you know they're gonna raise 4x BB, so as long as you're not really short you can wait for a hand a bit better to push back at them... and with strong hands they're much less likely to call if you push straight away, so better to shove after they raise.
    • gggeorgio
      gggeorgio
      Bronze
      thanks for the replies, I agree that it mostly depends on your opponent.