[NL20-NL50] nl20 2 Pair on Ugly Runout

• Ghartman
      IPoker, $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $38.35 (191.8 bb)
      UTG: $28.28 (141.4 bb)
      MP: $20 (100 bb)
      CO: $8.82 (44.1 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $32.54 (162.7 bb)
      SB: $21.29 (106.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with Q T
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.60, SB calls $0.50, BB folds

Flop: ($1.40) T Q 7 (2 players)
      SB bets $1.20, Hero calls $1.20

Turn: ($3.80) J (2 players)
      SB bets $3.80, Hero calls $3.80

River: ($11.40) 8 (2 players)
      SB bets $7.20, Hero folds

$11.40 pot ($0.57 rake)
      Final Board: T Q 7 J 8
      Hero mucked Q T and lost (-$5.60 net)
      SB mucked and won $10.83 ($5.23 net)

Ok, I just finished this session and I'm quite happy with how I played but this hand really bugged me.

So a standard button open and I get called by the SB. A great flop and he donks out pretty big. I could have raised but I wanted him to keep on with his bluffs, if he was bluffing, and he seemed to like this board, rather than raise and get him to fold out all of his air. The turn comes and he pots it again! A pretty ugly turn, straights come in, fast-played sets 7's or 10's which he could have, JQ also comes in + an unlikely slow-played AK. In all honesty, I did not feel like I was very strong here. I call again and finally, a crap-ass river, which I just fold.

My questions mainly relate to my mistakes in this hand, if you feel I made some. Was the flop a mandatory raise? Or was it ok to just call and let him keep barrelling? As the board developed, I felt less and less confident with my hand, maybe I just leveled myself. What is the optimal play in this spot? I usually have a plan going into a hand but this hand confused me. Let me know what you think.

PS. This was Speed Poker so no reads at all as my HUD doesn't work with it.

Thanks in advance
  • 2 replies
    • duder1n0
      I think we could raise flop. QQ(/TT) would probably 3bet preflop, plus we block them quite hard. We dont know anything on him, but he could easily have straightdraws, he tries to bluff this way (AJ/KJ/J9/98 or AK if he didnt 3bet), and if he's fishy, he could even call a raise with his draw. He could even have KQ/AQ he donks out for value.

As played, I'd also just call turn, and fold river.
    • veriz
      Hello Ghartman,

Yep, agree on raising the flop and protect our hand. There are too many draws from we rather want to protect. Though otherwise not much to do whils too many draws got there.

Best Regards.