Runner Runner Poker

• clandestineAl
      clandestineAl
      Bronze
      Hi Guys!

Back once again with a new blog. I have decided to try a different type of blog this time. Hopefully something that will keep me motivated to update this thing. I have decided on a poker and fitness blog. When I say fitness I actually just mean running. I couldn't manage more than 10 push ups unless there was a national emergency. I plan to update each day (alarm on phone already set) with my poker progress and my running stats for that day.

I normally run between 6k and 10k five or six times per week. I have decided to link the amount of time each day that I play poker to how much exercise I do each day. I will set aside 1 hour each day for running and poker. So two hours in total. Every minute under an hour that I run 10k in gets added to my poker time for the day. So if I run 10k in 51 minutes then I will have 69 minutes to play poker that day. On the other hand if it takes me 65 minutes to run the 10k then this reduces my poker time for the day by 5 minutes. My personal best for 10k is around the 48 minute mark. I am hoping to bring this down.

Hopefully this will motivate me to train harder and get faster. It should also help me to play a bit tighter and make the most of the playing time I have. I am currently playing NL5 SH on PokerStars with a bankroll of $170. I play 4 tables without any HUD. My computer is really old so it just won't work with any poker software. I will also post a hand each day that I found interesting or confusing.

If anyone has any ideas for an interesting running prop bet then I would be happy to hear it. Anything to keep me motivated. Tomorrow will be my first running and pokering update.
  • 9 replies
    • clandestineAl
      clandestineAl
      Bronze
      Day 1

Boring running stats first.

Distance covered: 10.17km
      Maximum elevation: 60.0 m
      Time: 51.21.5 minutes/seconds/tenths of a second

Notes: Bit slow as it is my first run since last Friday. I did get chased for a while by a female runner but she failed to keep up.

So that gave me 69 minutes to play poker. I have also decided that if go for another run at some point in the day that I will add this onto my total poker time. So if I go for a 5k run and it takes 25 minutes then this gets added onto my 60 minutes for the day.

Hands played: no idea (4 tables SH for 69 minutes. any ideas?)
      Time: 69 minutes
      FPP: 13
      $ Won/Lost: $4.53+

Having a limited time definitely makes you play a bit more tight I think. Or maybe it is just the way I have started to play recently. Biggest mistake made was 3bet short stack open raise on the BU from the SB. The BB called and then the BU shoved for the rest of his stack. I shoved with pocket tens but got called by the BB with AK. Should I have folded to the shorties shove?? I wasn't sure if I was ahead of the short stack but I figured I was ahead of the BB. See the hand here..
      pocket tens in SB

Next hand I wasn't sure about was AJo open raise UTG. I get called by the button and the BB. Flop comes 495 with two hearts. I check behind the BB because I just have overcards and then the BU checks. Ace of diamonds comes on the turn and the BB bets 80% pot. I call and BU folds. 9 of spades on the river and BB bets again 1.20 into 1.34. I shouldn't have called but I did. Thinking now I should have raise folded his turn bet because otherwise I have no idea what i have. He could have a set or he could even have AQ or maybe two pair.
      AJo UTG

Last hand I want to discuss is pocket jacks in the CO. pocket jacks I reraised his turn bet because I thought he must have had a king. Maybe AK or KQ and that all the money would go in right then. Looking now I should have just called and let him bet again on the turn. I was a bit worried though that if he had a kind that he might make a better full house than me on the river but you can't always be worrying about that.

Hopefully I have learned a few lessons today and I will try to apply them tomorrow after my run.
    • clandestineAl
      clandestineAl
      Bronze
      Day 2

Running stats first.

Time: 52.20.4 minutes/seconds/tenths of a second
      +/- previous days time: 0.59-

Notes: Almost a minute slower than yesterday. Pretty annoying. Seems like I can't get a good time unless i am hunting down other runners. Must do better tomorrow.

So that gives me 68 minutes to play poker.

Hands played: no idea
      Time: 68 minutes
      $ Won/Lost: $11.80+

only one hand that i had trouble with. KQs in the SB. I call CO open raise. Flop comes with 2KK. I check and he checks behind. 5 on the turn. I bet and he calls. 9 on the river. I bet and he doubles my raise. I call and he shows AK. Could I have folded the river for such a small bet? Should I just have 3bet folded pre flop? Or maybe just folded. KQs vs AKs

Anyway more than doubled my profit from yesterday today. If I could make these kind of gains with my running then I would be sorted.

I am going to start playing NL10 tomorrow. I know 18BI is a bit agro but I think I should be able to beat it like I did before.

See you tomorrow.
    • clandestineAl
      clandestineAl
      Bronze
      Running stats first.

Time: 47.19.8 minutes/seconds/tenths of a second
      +/- previous days time: 5.01-

Notes: Over 5 minutes faster than yesterday and even took 1.40 off my personal best. Set myself nine and a half minutes for every 2km and I managed to stick to it. Next stop a sub 45 minutes 10k.

So that gives me a huge 73 minutes to play poker.

Time: 73 minutes
      FPP: 24
      $ Won/Lost: $28.74-

My shot at NL10 didn't last long. I dropped a stack pretty quickly too. A guy limp called with A7s in MP. The flop came Q44 and my pocket kings were good. I bet he called. The turn brings a 5. I bet and he calls. My raise pre was to six BB because of the two limpers and I was out of position. So my turn bet was about $2 and he still called unimproved. The river was an ace and I stupidly bet big again rather than thinking what he could have had. I should have been putting him on at least AQ and it should have been an easy check fold or at least a small block bet. Hopefully lesson learned. KK vs A7s

Next hand I lost a stack with was AKs. SB vs BB. I raise and he calls. The flop is 8TA with two hearts. I have TPTK and the NFD. I cbet and he raises me. I was pretty happy to get it all in on the flop with my hand but maybe I over played it. Thoughts? Even giving him a pretty tight range my hand is still doing pretty well and against his actual hand I am ahead.

Equity Win Tie
      SB 46.06% 45.91% 0.15% AhKh
      BB 53.94% 53.80% 0.15% TT, 88, ATs, A8s, T8s, ATo, A8o, T8o

Equity Win Tie
      SB 51.82% 51.82% 0.00% AhKh
      BB 48.18% 48.18% 0.00% T8o

I am probably just over thinking things but maybe I should just have called and then check folded the turn if i didn't hit. AKs vs T8o

Last hand for the day is pocket queens in the SB. I 3bet the BU raise and get 4bet by the BB. This person was pretty agro and he had just seen me 3bet fold a few hands before when i 3bet the same guy. I just called to try and trap him but it didn't really work out... QQ vs A8s

So all in all a pretty shitty day at the virtual felt but an excellent day with my running. I hope things balance themselves out a bit tomorrow.

Finally what are your thoughts on this young lady? Normally I would call her the future Mrs. ClandestineAl but the actual future Mrs. ClandestineAl gets upset about that. So I will just call her death by thighs.
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Ooooo. A new blog. More silliness, less poker please!
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Damn you wouldn't want to spill Miss Nutcracker's beer would you!? Whew!

Welcome back to blogs by the way, even if you are going to do all that fitness stuff, which would only lead to pain and injury if I tried these days. :)

Mal.
    • clandestineAl
      clandestineAl
      Bronze
      No poker today as I didn't run. Saving myself for an attempt at a sub 45 minute 10k tomorrow. I have been following the liver ticker for the WSOPE ME all night. I know a lot of people can't stand Phil but I am glad he won his 13th bracelet. He played very well.
    • clandestineAl
      clandestineAl
      Bronze
      Running stats first.

Time: 45.56.1 minutes/seconds/tenths of a second
      +/- previous days time: 1.23-

Notes: Took 1.23 off my personal best again. Wanted to do a sub 45 minutes 10k but I lost the entire 56 seconds over the last 2km. I think I should be able to crack it soon. I even got a nice smile from a pretty runner.

So that gives me a 74 minutes to play with.

Time: 74 minutes
      FPP: 11
      $ Won/Lost: $0.61-

Nothing really exciting to report. No big hands. No interesting hands either. It was a pretty boring session. I will be hoping for more action tomorrow.
    • clandestineAl
      clandestineAl
      Bronze
      Running stats first.

Distance covered: 10.46km
      Time: 65.10.7 minutes/seconds/tenths of a second
      +/- previous days time: 19.54+

Notes: I was running with my friend today and she is just getting started again. Hence the really slow time .

So that gives me a 55 minutes to play with.

Time: 55 minutes
      $ Won/Lost: $2.39+

Another boring one to be honest. Think I should have tightened up a bit against certain players. I need to start varying my play more depending who I am playing against. One interesting hand. I might have over played it. I did have the best hand as it turned out 79s on the BU Any thoughts on it anyone would like to share?

I thought I would sign off today with a video of one of my favourite poker players. I know he is broke and he is always having a go at Phil Hellmuth on twitter but I still have a lot of time for him. I sent him an email once and he actually took the time to reply and even talked about a hand with me. Yukon Brad.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      for 79s hand if you raise you should shove over his flop 3bet instead of making it small. our hand may have a lot of equity but it's not crushing his made hands so we prefer him to actually fold.

calling is a decent alternative as well, since you have top pair in position, you can choose to bloat up the pot when you are improved and keep the pot size small when you did not improve