a few questions

• dw00d
      dw00d
      Bronze
      hey all

i have been thinking about giving fixed limit a go.
      im quite a casual player (1-2hrs, a few nights a week) and have been playing sngs on stars and black chip as of late with a bit of success but the thought of playing fixed limit seems to always pop into my head.

what are the micro limits like these days? are they reg infested as its not as popular as no limit therefore being much harder to beat and not so many fish?

obviously im a total fish and have a lot of learning to do but just wondering what its like out there at the moment. anyone having success at the micros?

i only have a small br spread across two sites which i should really combine.
      currently $30 on stars and $70 on black chip. both sites are unfortunately not tracked through ps but my partypoker account and a few ipoker skins are. some of the ipoker ones still have first deposit bonus too haha

thanks for reading and any tips or thoughts would be greatly appreciated :f_love:
  • 11 replies
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Silver
      Be patient and wait for Full Tilt. Just a thought ...
      The iPoker sites are suspected of being robot-infested down to the very lowest limits. (Read "they are known to be robot-infested")

/Johan = :f_confused:
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi dw00d,

I haven't played fixed limit for ages, but perhaps picking the right site will make a difference? I know on microgaming it has quite poor traffic for fixed limit.

Try this link and an expert will be able to help choose the best site for you. You can choose to accept his advice or not of course.

Choosing the right Poker Room for you!

Regards,

Mal.
    • dw00d
      dw00d
      Bronze
      thanks for your replies

i feel a lil bad cause i only just used that thread not long ago for sngs lol

fixed limit has just been something on my mind and i was hoping to dive a little deeper than just what site to play on. well in saying that, what site to play on is always good its was more of a next level / plea for some advice from fellow fixed limit regs :f_biggrin:
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Silver
      The Q definitely belongs here in in FL section.

Don't go to Ladbrokes for FL. There is no traffic. I have my roll there, but haven't played for months -> no strategy points. (NL is too boring :D )

Party is probably the second best site for FL behind Stars (and soon Full Tilt).

• dw00d
      dw00d
      Bronze
      thanks for the heads up :D

thats good news about full tilt. i have a few pennies there which i hope to get back, hardly anything compared to some people but it all helps :f_grin:

what limits do you currently play?

does the basic shc hold up alright at $0.02/$0.04 or is that limit just call anything / craziness regardless? i guess i could start at $0.05/$0.10 though
    • YohanN7
      YohanN7
      Silver
      I'll happily play anything between $0.10/$0.20 FR to $1/$2 heads-up. But as I said, I haven't played much for a long time.

I think it is better to start with $0.05/$0.10 than anything lower. Reason: To preserve sanity. At $0.10/$0.20 I think that people want to win that $1.50 in the pot, but I don't think that they care about $0.20 in the pot. I hope you see what I mean.

The SHC is perfectly ok. Important: It doesn't automatically make you a winner!

Bronze
      stars is the best place to be for fixed limit by far. If anyone ever tries to convince you otherwise they are either lying or don't know.

I'd recommend you start at 2c/4c - 5c/10c. About the reg infested thing. Most regs you will find at those stakes are those of us here on pokerstrategy.com :D rest of them is people who wanna have fun so they dont care if they are losing. = money won for us. don't get discouraged when the bad beats start rolling in. Fixed Limit is a fun game and can be quite profitable.

good luck mate. Id suggest you go to the "learning group" and join the rest of us micro players. :) theres players of all skills with us and having a complete new would just be even more awesome when we see you in a year crushing 50c/1 ;)
    • nitevenom
      nitevenom
      Bronze
      Hi , F/L best site for now is PS , but full tilt may be an option very soon :)

Not so sure how one can boost BR with F/L though , but then ; I am just a beginner myself and that may be why.. but tbh after 5 hours a day at F/L micro 2-4 , I find myself up about 00.35 or down 00.35 .. yup a seesaw ride .. the only thing imo that it is good for is plenty of hours of practice and learning with a very small loss or profit after 5 hours ... BR prevents me from moving up a level or 2 ...but I sure wish after 5 hours on some days I could show better results than 00.35 sheeesh . small monitor only allows 1 table play and so I can not say even x4 the 35 cents which would be better but still not great results for time put in ... Am I being greedy or do I just suck so bad???
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      at 2 cent/4 cent you'll be best off focusing on improving your game. playing 1 table and focusing on whats happening is a great way to do this, so I think you're on the right track there..

those stakes will never give you much money to write home about. read all the articles you can, maybe check out small stakes holdem by David Sklansky. theres plenty to learn.

Over 5 hours you'll probably play about 300-400 hands 1 tabling. In 400 hands far to much of your results will be determined by chance alone. you'll need to be patient for results. It takes 10s of thousands of hands to approximate your true winrate.
    • cjheigl
      cjheigl
      Your major considerations when playing any variant of poker should be traffic and rake. Currently pokerstars is the best option by far because it has low rake compared to others and also has the most traffic. The reopening of Full Tilt may bring a worthy competitor but currently rake structure and traffic on the future Full Tilt is unknown.

Party Poker would be the site with the second best traffic right know but also has prohibitive rake in the low micros.
      Bronze
      imo the only major consideration you should have choosing a game. Is whether YOU think its fun or not. all the rake and traffic thingy should come in second row. First and foremost play whatever you want to play. Don't play PLO because it can be profitable and stuff like that. Play it because you enjoy it and like it.