How to structure BB defense? HU, unraised, 3-betted first etc...

• ZeroDegrees
      ZeroDegrees
      Bronze
      Hi!
      I gonna focus my study on BB defense now and learning about equity at the same time. Seems to fit in smoothly. So I will start with reviewing my hand history. But I don't know the best way to structure the learning. What's best to start with? I list some areas below so you can understand what I mean;

-full SH tables preflop
      -3 players preflop
      -HU flop
      -unraised, raised preflop
      -3+ players flop
      etc...

Where do I start? With what do I proceed?

Edit: It's for my fixed limit short handed play.
  • 4 replies
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      You might want to tell the game type too. Holdem, PLO, or something else?
    • ZeroDegrees
      ZeroDegrees
      Bronze
      It's FL Hold'em SH, 0.25/0.50 and 0.50/1.
    • madorjan
      madorjan
      Bronze
      First off, as Boomer mentioned in his video, you should start off with way more simple concepts than that. For example if you think you have to differentiate full SH and 3handed tables, that just shows you have much less understanding of the matter than what you think you have.

Preflop in itself is a really complicated area, since there are 3 difficult streets left behind, and finding anything remotely useful for this type of analysis requires you to understand all the postflop concepts that can come into play.

First off I'd suggest going through the possible decision in a hand (or lines if you're more advanced) tying them together with EV and equity - how they relate to each other and how they are the foundation of every one of your decisions.

Also, never start with looking through HHs or small data. Data is really hard to analyse, and you'll get sufficient sample on good regs by datamining only, that is biased, since it doesn't show mucked hands. (Also even SD hands are biased, since you'll fold weaker hands more often postflop.)

You have to start with theory always, building up everything from the fundamentals and premises, and then fine tune-ing it.

I hope I could help, if you have any questions, let me know.
    • ZeroDegrees
      ZeroDegrees
      Bronze
      Thanks for the reply. In my experience there is a big difference between 6-handed and 3-handed (not to mention 2-handed) tables. I have however come up with a structure:

-will start with raised pots, hu flop, then
      -raised pots, multihanded on flop

Will study unraised pots as a topic in itself later.

I am working with equity generally when I review sessions. Reason for concentrating on BB defense is that I have a huge leak there, and out of position in general. Have a good grasp of lines/types etc for my level and in comparison to how to play in BB. Hence I will focus on that.

I am going through my hand history in order to get rid of bad plays. Obvious bad plays. Not to analyze a certain opponent.

Cheers