noulispa

• noulispa
      noulispa
      Bronze
      Hello,

My name is Panos i am from Greece. I have been playing poker for around 1.5 year and i have a decent winrate on nl5/10 (7bb/100 ,90K hands +) . However when i gave shots on nl20 it wasnt the same. I dont know maybe the money scared me or maybe i thought that the game gets more aggro so i was getting in ugly spots. Now i am going to grind nl5 cause i withdraw some $$ . I would be really happy to join the course . U coaches make a great work on the forums thanks :D .
  • 8 replies
    • noulispa
      noulispa
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

My motivation for playing poker is the money u can win and the differnt nature poker has as a job . Also i loved the game from the first time i played and thats why i search more to read strategies and stuff. Lastly its good cause u gain a lot of things for life generally as a person .

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

Some times i am not full focus especially after long sessions . I dont think that i put much effort on studying + sometimes i am result oriented . For the game specifically i have trouble with 3bets . and blind defense. Also i have start using stats for some months now and i dont think i use them 100% correctly

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

Tight means we select our hands carefuly and we are position aware(+the later the position we get more loose) but when we choose to play a hand we play it aggresively .
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Maybe you took the shots not correctly. For example don't always open all the new NL20 tables, try opening 1-2 tables and play it until you feel secure there. ;) Meanwhile continue playing for example NL10 besides NL20 tables.

What about tilt? Do you adjust something against it? For example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy being with us here and will enjoy the course. In any case you have questions about anything then feel free to ask it, I will try to respond as soon I read it.
    • noulispa
      noulispa
      Bronze
      Hey i just want to continue the BSS learning school . I am playin Short handed atm nl4- nl10 and i am not a total beginner . However i want to review the basics. + have this thread to keep in touch and ask Qs .

I have to do the homework 2?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by noulispa
      Hey i just want to continue the BSS learning school . I am playin Short handed atm nl4- nl10 and i am not a total beginner . However i want to review the basics. + have this thread to keep in touch and ask Qs .

I have to do the homework 2?
      I would recommend that you restart the homeworks (or continue with them) but if you don't want to do that and just use this thread for Q&A that's fine as well.

Best regards,

Bogdan
    • noulispa
      noulispa
      Bronze
      Hello , I like the idea of the Q &A so i would like to ask you .

How to work on improving my blind play / defense .

I am a bit confuse cause i heard people say stuff like from the sb not call at all . Or if the SB open or BU open to wide and i am on the BB i got to defend loose and i am not so sure with what hands to start call 3bet e.t.c and i am a bit confused.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by noulispa
      Hello , I like the idea of the Q &A so i would like to ask you .

How to work on improving my blind play / defense .

I am a bit confuse cause i heard people say stuff like from the sb not call at all . Or if the SB open or BU open to wide and i am on the BB i got to defend loose and i am not so sure with what hands to start call 3bet e.t.c and i am a bit confused.
      You play 4nl right now, correct?

The play in blinds really depends on the limits and players you play against.

At 4nl you have more fish / table and weaker opponents so you may play more speculative hands.

Vs regular type players in BTN and BB you want to 3-bet more often.

As far as calling 3-bets goes I think you are referring to SB vs BB in which case I recommend not calling too wide unless villain is wide himself. Generally OOP you want a 4-bet or fold range.
    • noulispa
      noulispa
      Bronze
      hey yes i am playing nl4.

At 4nl you have more fish / table and weaker opponents so you may play more speculative hands.

you mean like SC's or Axs ? or (what i have understand untill now KJ KQ AJ AT type hands ? )

However my main concerne is that i dont know how to react when a guy opens 40-50 % from the BU and i got A8o for example on the BB . I know that my play depends on a lot of factors like how much he fold to 3bets . his postflop tendecies. e.t.c but i just want to start from somewhere ;D

I think that i read somewhere on the forums for bvb scenarios . Where lets say we are on the bb and the sb opens 40 % and the coach advice the guy to defend the same range that he opens . Is that correct and how to imply this . (its true that this discussion was from guys that play higher so may not apply to nl4 .)

Thanks !!
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Yes, usually hands that can make nut draws (like drawing to the nut flush with A8s).

I would recommend that when facing a steal from the BTN and you have a weak Ax offsuite (A9o-A2o) you should simply fold preflop.

AS far as BvB goes, since you will have position in the BB you can definitely call more. THe % depends on the player and how comfortable you are postflop. I would definitely have a wider range defending with both calls and raises.