Borisian

• 6 replies
    • Borisian
      Borisian
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      • Phase 1 - Become a player who can actually win in the long run and have fun while doing it.
      • Phase 2 - Earn money and move up the limits to the point where I can consider making poker my primary source of income.
      • Phase 3 - Own enough souls to populate my own "Poker Hell" and torture them when I like.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      • Tilt.
      • Not planning preflop.
      • Suicide bluffing.
      • Cold calling raises and 3 bets out of position.
      • Holding onto hands when I know I'm beaten.
      • Not having a clue what to do post flop when I miss.
      • Playing tired or drunk.
      • Getting too emotionally involved.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      A tight aggressive player only plays a select range of hands depending on their pre-flop position and enter the pot with a raise. They prefer to have position during the hand and play aggressively betting and raising while they are likely to be ahead. A TAG player rarely bluffs and chooses the correct time and place to do so. Tight aggressive players know when to cut their losses and lay down a hand.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Sorry for delayed answer, I have been moving to new country so it did take me to set up everything at my place, now I am back and starting to evaluate the homeworks.

Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Another option against tilt is to set yourself shorter sessions which might avoid you from tilting. If you playing longer sessions then it's more likely that during that session you can get upset. So work on your game and try to find out what makes you tilt and try to fight against it.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy being with us here and will enjoy the course. In any case you have questions about anything then feel free to ask it, I will try to respond as soon I read it.
    • Borisian
      Borisian
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why? (Are there any hands you would play differently? Do you have a problem or question about how a specific hand or hands should be played?)
      I use the standard open raising ranges from Equilab. I am playing them profitably at the moment. I have made one adjustment; I will open AQo from any position. I am doing this because the hand is:-
      • Showing a reasonable profit from this position (when played with caution).
      • Adding a little more deception to my EP1/EP2 opening range.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. ( Post your hand in the Hand evaluation forums and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)
      Should I really fold QQ to this type of player? I'm not going to do it.
      QQ vs Aggro

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo. ( You can either calculate this yourself or use an equity calculator such as the PokerStrategy.com Equilab.)
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }
    • Borisian
      Borisian
      Bronze
      Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53? (Tip: you can use the Equilab to help you with this task.)
      Preflop

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    50.78%  50.40%   0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1  49.22%  48.84%   0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop
      Board: 5:diamond: J:spade: 3:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    26.46%  26.46%   0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1  73.54%  73.54%   0.00% { 3d3c }

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)
      No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

The opponent is a complete unknown. After the villain cold calls my opening preflop raise a reasonable range to give the villain IMO would be 22+ (most likely not TT-AA as I would expect them to 3bet those hands), maybe AK (though I would expect a 3bet), AQ, Axs, KQ. The flop check changes nothing. The min raise would narrow his range to 22-66 (I would expect overpairs to bet the flop when checked to), Axdd, KQcc, KQdd (I am uncertain about a min raise with the second nut flush draw)

With two 2nd nut flush draws (KQcc & KQdd)
      Board: 6:diamond: 3:diamond: 2:club:  5:club:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      CO     32.65%  29.17%   3.48% { AcJc }
      BU     67.35%  63.86%   3.48% { 66-22, AdKd, AdQd, KdQd, KcQc, AdJd, AdTd, Ad9d, Ad8d, Ad7d, Ad6d, Ad5d, Ad4d, Ad3d, Ad2d }

With one 2nd nut flush draw (KQcc)
             Equity     Win     Tie
      CO     31.43%  27.90%   3.53% { AcJc }
      BU     68.57%  65.05%   3.53% { 66-22, AdKd, AdQd, KcQc, AdJd, AdTd, Ad9d, Ad8d, Ad7d, Ad6d, Ad5d, Ad4d, Ad3d, Ad2d }

With one 2nd nut flush draw (KQdd)
             Equity     Win     Tie
      CO     30.92%  27.43%   3.49% { AcJc }
      BU     69.08%  65.60%   3.49% { 66-22, AdKd, AdQd, KdQd, AdJd, AdTd, Ad9d, Ad8d, Ad7d, Ad6d, Ad5d, Ad4d, Ad3d, Ad2d }

With out the 2nd nut flush draws
             Equity     Win     Tie
      CO     29.59%  26.06%   3.53% { AcJc }
      BU     70.41%  66.88%   3.53% { 66-22, AdKd, AdQd, AdJd, AdTd, Ad9d, Ad8d, Ad7d, Ad6d, Ad5d, Ad4d, Ad3d, Ad2d }

The pot is offering odds of around 2.1:1 or 31.88%

This is clearly a very marginal decision and as the opponent is unknown I would lean toward a FOLD

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. (Post your hand in the hand evaluation forum and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)
      Set of Q's vs flop donk 4 handed
      Correct turn shove with AQs?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Seems you haven't made that many adjustments yet but don't worry, everything comes with time and you will realize yourself when you are ready for it. Starting to play too loose is also rather bad cause you risking with a lot more money then whilst playing more hands and more dangerous spots.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!