This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

Raising From The Blinds w/ Pairs After Limpers

• Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze
      Well after a sudden realisation that I don't feel confident enough with how I play at NL10, I have dropped right down to NL2 where hopefully I will regain some of this lost confidence.

At the moment, I am trying to master pre-flop play (I only play Zoom, I like that I can play a lot of hands in single sitting so I can evaluate them after) and have come across this situation already a couple of times in my first NL2 session.

Example
      PokerStars - $0.02 NL (6 max) ZOOM - Holdem - 6 players

SB posts SB $0.01, Hero posts BB $0.02

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has 7:diamond: 7:heart:

UTG calls $0.02, fold, fold, BTN calls $0.02, fold, Hero ?

I guess that my hand is better than the range of the limpers so should I be raising or just checking?

Here are some reasons I can think of for both sides of the argument:

Arguments FOR a raise
      • Build a bigger pot for when I flop a monster.
      • Get value from weaker hands.
      • Could win the 3.5BB pre-flop (not sure if this is good or bad though?)

Arguments AGAINST a raise
      • Keep these bad players in the hand who may pay off big anyway. (I assume a good player wouldn't open-limp and would attempt to isolate from the button)
      • Could still take it down on certain flops?
      • Will have to play possibly a loose opponent OOP in a semi-sized pot.

Would love to here what other people do in this situation and also what factors may influence you take a certain line (eg. how does an opponent's tendencies come into play, what if your holding 22 instead, etc.) and also what raise sizing you use.

Thanks
  • 2 replies