Guess-timating (Open) Limping Ranges with Few Stats

• Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze
      I really struggle with this aspect of my game when I don't have concrete stats on my opponent, I never open-limp so I can't compare myself with my opponent in these situations.

I want to start being able to use math pre-flop when evaluating whether an isolation or a blind steal was profitable but I can't estimate players ranges.

Wondering what are you guys thoughts on what hands different players seem to be limping with in the lower stakes, how this will compare to Zoom and also how to decide what hands they will then fold to a raise over there limps.

Any of you smart fellows know how to manipulate your PokerTracker DBs to maybe show what hands your opponent's have actually limped with?

Thanks
  • 7 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      usually small pp, any Ax, most hands with a high card, random connectors, random suited cards and KK+ :D . depends on player obv

first thing i actually look at is - how often is he folding to a cbet? the more he folds the wider you want to iso. he usually won't be limp/folding preflop so it's nice to have some idea on his postflop tendencies.

autonotes are also very helpful since any time a limped hand goes to showdown you'll have it recorded. on pokertracker go Tools -> NoteTracker and explore the possibilities :f_biggrin:
    • jules97
      jules97
      Bronze
      I've been meaning to have a play around with notetracker, got any other good ones to share Tomaloc? :f_biggrin: :f_biggrin:
    • Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze
      What do you mean by play around with notetracker?

It already saves what hands the villain limp calls with so I can't think of anything better?

Thanks for your help Tomaloc, I should be able to put my opponent's on more concrete ranges now. :D
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      notetracker rules, specially for quickfold pokers! that's all i have to say

i have configured autonotes for a lot of stuff. here's what i have in some randomly picked reg so that you can have an idea:

[P] BU Raising Range {K9o} (1)
      [P] Called 3bets OOP {KK,JJ,66} (3)
      [P] Called any raise {TT-QQ,22-33,AQs+,A9s-ATs,A6s,KTs,AKo,KQo,QTo} (17)
      [P] CO Raising Range {44,KTo} (2)
      [P] Defended blinds passively {KQo} (1)
      [P] Isolate limpers range {KK} (1)
      [P] Limp and called a raise {A6s} (1)
      [P] Limping range {A6s} (1)
      [P] MP Raising Range {KK,99,66,33,AJo-AQo} (7)
      [P] UTG Raising Range {99-JJ,77,44,AQo} (7)
      [F] Raised Flop Cbet with flopped set (2)
      [F] Raised Flop Cbet with draw no pair (2)

then you may (or may not) condense this and stats into more readable notes, ie "high card heavy cold calling range"
    • jules97
      jules97
      Bronze
      Thanks Tomaloc,

I'd been meaning to do the positional range ones for a while and got some other ideas :D

I don't get this one though

[F] Raised Flop Cbet with flopped set (2)

Does that tell you what % of the time he raises with a flopped set? If it just counts them, it doesnt seem too helpful.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      yeah, also let me know :D

indeed this "raises w/set" just counts, it's not too helpful. how often does a set get to showdown anyway :P
      actually it was part of a test :D i wanted to expand on that like "on dry/wet board" and "flop/turn/river" but got too lazy to try to specify what is dry and what is wet and so i never got around to doing it. :f_biggrin: it should be well possible though.
    • bmfbpi
      bmfbpi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tomaloc
      usually small pp, any Ax, most hands with a high card, random connectors, random suited cards and KK+ :D . depends on player obv

first thing i actually look at is - how often is he folding to a cbet? the more he folds the wider you want to iso. he usually won't be limp/folding preflop so it's nice to have some idea on his postflop tendencies.

pretty much this