[NL2-NL10] nl10 sh 55

• jules97
      jules97
      Bronze
      The guy has a tiny 3bet range. So he's probably only 3betting qq+, and maybe ak, so I called preflop for set value.

Then let him barrel a couple of times and on the river I potted it like a moron. I should have bet something that an overpair would call, like $3 or $4....

iPoker - $0.10 NL (6 max) FAST - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: $10.67
      UTG: $12.84
      MP: $10.00
      CO: $12.70
      Hero (BTN): $14.17
      SB: $11.53

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.15) Hero has 5:heart: 5:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.20, fold, BB raises to $0.65, Hero calls $0.45

Flop: ($1.35, 2 players) 8:spade: 5:club: 9:heart:
      BB bets $0.80, Hero calls $0.80

Turn: ($2.95, 2 players) 6:heart:
      BB bets $2.21, Hero calls $2.21

River: ($7.37, 2 players) 9:spade:
      BB checks, Hero bets $7.10, fold

Hero shows 5:heart: 5:diamond: (Full House, Fives full of Nines)
      Hero wins $6.88
  • 5 replies
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      You could even raise that flop, you could represent overcards there that want to take the pot right away. Hard to make the pot big otherwise.

As played, bet smaller on the river, he will call only with 9x and straights, maybe not even with them.
    • cozacu
      cozacu
      Bronze
      First of all just a reminder that calling 3bets with small pp, it's not a good business... unless the open-raise size is smaller as in this exemple or/and you have a plan to take the hand without a set, knowing villains postflop play in 3bet pots.

So PF here is fine, we could argue about raising the flop, depends a ton on the villain, if he is like you say with QQ+ only in his 3bet range then go ahead and raise the flop... and then just try to size your bet on turn and river in order to get as much as possible out of his overpair.

As played... as you said it yourself a 3$-3.5$ should have been your choice
    • holmeboy
      holmeboy
      Bronze
      Given we're >100bbs deep, his range appears quite strong (small sample), and we have position calling is ok.

Disagree with raising the flop. The only 6's and 7's in his range are 66/77 maybe some others and that seem unlikely. Even JT isn't in his range. If we raise here what calls us? And this is the perfect board for him to spew off with overcards like AK/AQ which fold to our raise.

I'd play it the same except bet much smaller river. I think $2.5~$3
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello jules97,

Nah, your play seems to be fine. Though other option is to raise the flop and avoid some bad card come out which may look like we have the straight.

Best Regards.
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      Originally posted by cozacu
      First of all just a reminder that calling 3bets with small pp, it's not a good business... unless the open-raise size is smaller as in this exemple or/and you have a plan to take the hand without a set, knowing villains postflop play in 3bet pots.

Well.. When vill opens to 0.65 and we have 10d stack, it's good to call it. When we hit the set and opponent hits their AK with TP, they usually go broke on these levels, no doubt. And you can sometimes take the pot w/o set, too.