Playing against poker morons

• SharkOfSpade
      SharkOfSpade
      Basic
      Ok, so I play poker in my dorm. Last year I was dominaiting these games, but this year the freshman commed. These new guys dont play very good. They play flush, straight draws as they allready have a made hand (overly values them), and hands like K7s are something, that they wont fold preflop.

So far I know, that they play agressively. If they reraise you, either they have a draw or atleast middle pair. Just maniacs.

I am trying to play as the strategy here suggests, but this year I do not make it in to the cash so frequenly.

But I have a problem. Because they play every game, and take it to the showdown, the hand lasts long. I don 't get to see really much hands. And by the time I get some decent hand, I have 4 oponents left (from 9), and because there were rebuys, they have at avarage 4 times more chips than me.

And the bad thing is, then I am at some push or fold stage with 7BB, and get dealt AKo. I push all-in from utg, and get called from all 3 of them (they get overly agressive), and they are carrying some bad hands, but still, the luck is on theyr side.

And these things keep happening. I am playing everyday against them. And they happen again and again, and again.

I mean, looks like I can't play against them, when I am playing only 10% of my hands (TAG).

What should I chage about my playing style, when I am up against these players?
  • 3 replies
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey ShartOfSpade!

I moved your thread.

I think you'll have to wait for good value hands. And when you do have that hand, just let them donk the money away.

I'm really interested where this thread is going because on Unibet they all play like this...

Best of luck on the tables!

RasTweet
    • mmohoric
      mmohoric
      Basic
      Hello..

Same problem with micro stakes.. i play poker for about 2 years as hoby.. but now i started playing more serious. Read some books, play a lot of hands yust to know where i am .. and so on.
      And the problem is that i want to start with micro 0.01/0.02 or 0.02/0.05... and when i ll be good enough move up the stakes. But i cant beat those limits?? When i play stakes 0.10/0.25 i alway earn some money and i mean always.. approx one buy in on a session.

Is it posible that people who started to studying poker playing a 0.02/0.05 for a start.. wich is best idea. But people who think that poker is a great income of money .. they think so. So they playing a more higest stakes just to earn mone fast as posible.. but ofcorse it is imposible i think :)

Am i wrong..

And sorry for my english. I hope you ll understand these.

Best regards.
    • Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze
      @OP: You should be loving the fact that your playing against these 'morons' because you have a significant skill advantage with them. Since you don't have a lot of hands in these live games, try loosing your hand range up a little bit. For example, you say that they play K7s, then you could play KJo and be in excellent shape against them. Just keep in mind that we all get good cards sometimes so don't be disheartened if one time he shows AK etc.

You say that they are maniacs so I would say the best thing to do is act like your weak when you have top pair and just check/call them to induce bluffs and get to the showdown as cheaply as possible (pot control).

Also, don't c-bet with air or draws as you will have relatively little fold equity against these guys.

You need to understand that you can't win every time, if it was this way then why would worst players play?

@Poster: If you feel that you can beat 0.02/0.05 and have the bankroll to play (20BI) then feel free to start there but if you drop to $50 then I'd suggest moving back to 0.01/0.02. Just be sure to constantly review and analyse your game so your improving your skill.