Most important topic in NL

• mateuszrybinski
      mateuszrybinski
      Bronze
      I have just started to make a plan how I going to become a better poker player and I need a little help.

I have divided every poker topic into a "3000 hands goal".

So my goal now is like this:

0 - 3000 hands (Start-hand-chart newbie)
      Here I will follow the chart to the point. Postflop I will just play as predictable as possible. I raise If I think I have the best hand, call if I have a draw and fold I don't hit anything. This part have more to do with following the chart than anything else. My session review will be really simple there I will analyze if I followed to chart and postflop I will just see if I didn't do to big mistakes.

3000 Goal
      [ ] Play 3000 hands.
      [ ] Follow my checklist before every session.
      [ ] Do a session review after every session.
      [ ] Follow the start-hand-chart to the point.

3000 - 6000 hands (blind Stealer)
      Here I will introduce Blind stealing into my game. because stealing is easy and I can't make many mistakes in position, so I feel it a good next step. I will go though all blind steal attempts in the session review to make sure that I don't have any big leaks. I will also start to use HUD into the game so I can see if the player i tight or loose.

6000 Goal
      [ ] Do intensive studying how to make good blind steals.
      [ ] introduce blind steal into my game.
      [ ] Check list before every session.
      [ ] To a session review after every session.
      [ ] Follow the start-hand-chart.
      [ ] Start using HUD

6000 - 9000 hands (Postflop with lead master)
      It's time to study Postflop. This is the part where I will practice to identify if the board is draw heavy etc. When to do Cbets and when do check. adjust my play if I have the lead or not.

9000 Goal
      [ ] Do intensive studying how to make good blind steals.
      [ ] introduce blind steal into my game.
      [ ] Follow the start-hand-chart

9000 - 12000 hands (Isolation Clown)
      Time to learn Isolation and get this weak player to fold and make me happy. :s_biggrin:

1200 Goal
      [ ] Do intensive studying how to Isolate player.
      [ ] introduce Isolation into my game.
      [ ] Follow the start-hand-chart.

--------------------------

Now I need your help to prioritize this list of topics! What should I put next on my goal list? And have missed some important topic?

Other topics I need to cover
      No specific order
      Start-hand-chart
      Isolation
      Domination
      Postflop with lead
      Postflop opponent have lead
      Postflop no one have lead
      Habit to make up goals for every hand
      adjust preflop play to rocks and calling station
      adjust postflop play to rocks and calling station
      adjust preflop play to Maniacs and fish
      adjust postflop play to Maniacs and fish
      adjust preflop play to shortstack
      adjust postflop play to shortstack
      adjust preflop play to TAG's
      adjust postflop play to TAG's
      Protection
      Maximizing Value
      Slowplay
      Player notes
      Table selection
      Strong draws
      Blockbets
      play from the big blinds
      play from the small blinds
      Small pocket pair and sets
      Set-mining
      blind Steal
      Re-stealing
  • 13 replies
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi mateuszrybinski, wow that's a lot of study you got going there!

I moved this to the appropriate forum so you get a better response, ok?

Regards,

Mal.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey there.

Wow great organization thats nice to see.

Whilst it's great you are organized and motivated i don't think this approach would be too great to be honest. for a start 3000 hands isnt a big enough sample to say "i've improved x amount now its time for me to introduce this"

If you are going to be using a HUD then in my opinion start from the beginning if you don't then you're losing 3000 hands worth of information. Not a lot will change from 0-3000 hands which will make you think 'ok now is the time to use HUD' the quicker you use it the more information you have at your disposal.

Starting hand chart is great to follow make it your bible ;) not for a certain amount of hands but until you feel comfortable to move away from it you might see after 500 hands that a guy on your left is folding his BB 100% of the time to steal so why wait until you have played 3k hands before you open up your stealing range just take advantage as soon as you notice, this make sense?

Again With isolating. You should be able to spot the fish pretty quick anyway but a HUD can only help you out again and you can start to isolate them before you have reached x amount of hands but when you are ready

Don't know how experienced you are with poker but when i started i didnt want to get in any tough post flop situations until i'd played 50k hands :D i was still practicing reading boards counting outs and odds etc i just basically wasn't ready for post flop stuff but as soon as you can work on this the better because its still one of my big downfalls now so thats good to see you ready to work on that

Really good to see you have review sessions in every checklist too :)

Overall it's awesome to see how prepared you are but try not to take on too much or too little at once there is no point adding extras into your game if you aren't ready and likewise no point waiting to add things to your game if you are ready.

Hope i didn't confuse you too much :D
      Carl
    • noz03
      noz03
      Bronze
      Not exactly sure what you need help with but it's an interesting approach you have. Very curious to see how it works out.
    • mateuszrybinski
      mateuszrybinski
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ExternalUseOnly
      Hey there.

Wow great organization thats nice to see.

Whilst it's great you are organized and motivated i don't think this approach would be too great to be honest. for a start 3000 hands isnt a big enough sample to say "i've improved x amount now its time for me to introduce this"

If you are going to be using a HUD then in my opinion start from the beginning if you don't then you're losing 3000 hands worth of information. Not a lot will change from 0-3000 hands which will make you think 'ok now is the time to use HUD' the quicker you use it the more information you have at your disposal.

Starting hand chart is great to follow make it your bible ;) not for a certain amount of hands but until you feel comfortable to move away from it you might see after 500 hands that a guy on your left is folding his BB 100% of the time to steal so why wait until you have played 3k hands before you open up your stealing range just take advantage as soon as you notice, this make sense?

Again With isolating. You should be able to spot the fish pretty quick anyway but a HUD can only help you out again and you can start to isolate them before you have reached x amount of hands but when you are ready

Don't know how experienced you are with poker but when i started i didnt want to get in any tough post flop situations until i'd played 50k hands :D i was still practicing reading boards counting outs and odds etc i just basically wasn't ready for post flop stuff but as soon as you can work on this the better because its still one of my big downfalls now so thats good to see you ready to work on that

Really good to see you have review sessions in every checklist too :)

Overall it's awesome to see how prepared you are but try not to take on too much or too little at once there is no point adding extras into your game if you aren't ready and likewise no point waiting to add things to your game if you are ready.

Hope i didn't confuse you too much :D
      Carl
      thanks ExternalUseOnly for your opinion. :f_ biggrin:

Yee your are right I should add HUD from the start.

My idea with the goals is to establish good routines to play poker. By foucesing on only one part of the game, I believe that I can make very steady progress.

If you impoloment all things at the same time, you will have a playstyle that is very leaky.

To give a metafor. If you program a new software and you start but doing all the parts at the same time you will, not only will you have problems to start the program, you will also have many bugs in the code.

I thing that a better way is to program slower but keeping referens to all part of the program and make sure that everything work as it should.

I will foucs on making the right decisition and I think that the money will follow. I can take advadge of fish but I want to keep it to a minimum. I don't want establish bad rutins from the start.

If I win, but I play -EV I still lose because I establish a bad play in my head and the serotonin boost reinfores the bad habit. If the sitation is a easy one, I will of course play but I don't want to do it to much.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      :) nice, this is probably why i still have hundreds of leaks :D

Good luck sir will be good to follow your progress have you started a blog? Or thought about starting one?
    • mateuszrybinski
      mateuszrybinski
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ExternalUseOnly
      :) nice, this is probably why i still have hundreds of leaks :D

Good luck sir will be good to follow your progress have you started a blog? Or thought about starting one?
      Yeee India!! love to travel the world :P Yee I have a blog. The peaceful shark

I’m need to settle down in India before I can start to play. It really hard to get good Internet here but the food and everything is so cheap haha. I will become the first professional NL2 poker player! (I define a professional as someone that get his livelihood from the job his working in)

I can live comfortably here on $6-8, so it really nice! Maybe I step up and live like a rich man on $10 :P
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mateuszrybinski

I can live comfortably here on $6-8, so it really nice! Maybe I step up and live like a rich man on $10 :P
      Im taking the next plane to India then. See you there? :D

We have an Indian PokerStrategy community, have you been involved there yet? If not take a look here: http://in.pokerstrategy.com/forum/ maybe there is somebody in the India community that can help you sort out some decent internet. Feel free to post in both communities :)
    • NewwWorld
      NewwWorld
      Bronze
      I do agree it is prob not smart to focus on strategy X after X hands, but it is smart to focus on a skill particurly.

Once you feel you understand that skill enough, then you should go the the next skill to learn/improve. Obv, you should work on all you skills everytime you play, but it's a good idea to pick out one skill that you focus on the most.

GL
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Originally posted by NewwWorld
      I do agree it is prob not smart to focus on strategy X after X hands, but it is smart to focus on a skill particurly. Once you feel you understand that skill enough, then you should go the the next skill to learn/improve. Obv, you should work on all you skills everytime you play, but it's a good idea to pick out one skill that you focus on the most. GL

+1

i also think you should put in 3betting in there.. i can't see it! :f_eek: definitely a major topic to work at.
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      How did a "most important topic" thread not have bankroll management waayyy up near the top?
    • mateuszrybinski
      mateuszrybinski
      Bronze
      haha yee, thanks for the tip!

I thouth about having a list of things I can do at the table but now when I think about it - I think that I should have a not-at-the-table list to.

But really I don't understand how to study BRM? It kind of simple concept. Follow a 25+ buy'ins strategy, have a stop-limit and move up and down based on you preset buy'in number.

I understand that you can study risk and there by convince yourself that a good BRM is good to follow. A awesome book about risk is: "Against the Gods; The Remarkable Story of Risk - Peter L. Bernstein."

But do anyone have a link to a more advance types of BRM strategies?

Have a happy poker day
      MR
    • bennisboy
      bennisboy
      Bronze
      How quickly are you planning to reach 3000 hands? One day, one week?
      I think you could probably integrate a few more than just one skill for each 3000 hands to start with, most of them are pretty basic and I think you could easily get bored just focusing on blind stealing for 3000 hands for example
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mateuszrybinski

But do anyone have a link to a more advance types of BRM strategies?

Have a happy poker day
      MR
      Imo it's pretty simple. I mean you can go and study variance more (which is a good idea by the way so you completely understand what variance is) so you know why we do and should follow some kind of BRM. But again the bankroll management that is right for you is a personal choice that comes down to how disciplined you are and how much moving down limits will affect you. For example some people race through the micro stakes using a 10 buy-in BRM until they reach NL50 or so. but these players know what its like to move up and down stakes quickly some players can't take this and after taking a shot at NL50 and losing 2 buy-ins will move back down to 25NL, get bored and keep playing NL50 or even worse open up a 100NL table to try and claw back the losses :f_mad: thats why for this type of guy its better to practice a 50 or 75 BI BRM so there is less of a risk of having to move down in stakes.

What kind of BRM are you using at the moment 25bi's? This should be fine for micro limits imo its not too high that it keeps you stuck at the lowest stakes for too long and its not so low that it affects you playing your A game