Where to start on Heads-Up?

• noz03
      noz03
      Bronze
      I've played cash games and SNGs with reasonable returns, at least in the micros. And now its time to give heads up a try! But to me this is the most confusing game type of holdem, does anyone have any advice for a complete, and I really mean COMPLETE beginner?

I especially need to know what kind of opening, calling and 3bet ranges to use as a base. What kind of hands to bluff and how often to bluff. And of course how to adjust all these things depending on the opponent!

Also if there are any heads up beginners articles or videos around anywhere that I might have missed please let me know!

Thanks for any advice anyone can give to get me started out there :)
  • 6 replies
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey i just answered in your other thread, pretty much what i would have wrote here take a look see what you think :)
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey noz03,

What kind of bankroll are we looking at here? Rake is a huge factor for heads up, its literally impossible to beat the game if we start at micro stakes. For HU Cash we should start at NL50 at the very minimum and perhaps even 100nl because its extremely hard to beat the rake.

For SNG's the variance is VERY low meaning we can be aggressive with brm, having 20bi's for HU SNG's is fine as long as you move up and down without tilting.

For SNG's here are two videos, concentrating on playing in both the small and big blinds, you can watch them for free :)

Small Blind play http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/24542/
      Big Blind play http://www.pokerstrategy.com/video/23899/

Let me know :)
    • noz03
      noz03
      Bronze
      Well right now I have about $200 on my main site, though I really don't want to blow that away on learning a new game. So far I guess Ive played 10-20 heads up games and lost about 75% of them haha. So even if the rake breaks me even I'd definitely rather start as low as I possibly can. Oh and I definitely prefer HUSNGs than cash games, especially after what you said about the rake.

I did watch both these videos but actually they are only for very short stacks, or rather the final 2 in a sng when its usually push or fold. If I'm playing a HUSNG it usually starts with 50bbs
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Can i ask, what is your main site?

I know pokerstars offers $3.50 and $7 games. If you want to have i'd say an average BRM then i would play the $3.50s until you reach $250 maybe a little less then start taking shots at the $7s if you are feeling like you are playing well.

Like Pleno said you can move up the limits pretty quick in HUSNGs as long as you are ready to move down pretty quickly too :)

Good luck noz03 run good
    • noz03
      noz03
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ExternalUseOnly
      No guide thats worth anything will tell you what % of hands to open with imo HU is so opponent dependent. You can be against a guy who plays 10/10 in one game and the next you can be playing someone who plays 45/30 or 80/60 and obviously the same strategy isn't going to work against each player type.
      I totally agree, and thats the reason I want to play husngs :) But there must still be a basic strategy to start with before you can adjust, something that starts off being reasonably unexploitable until you can get some reads on your opponent.

There must also be strategy points I need to learn as basics, sub headings for example how to steal, when to cbet, when to slow play. Something to tell me the good spots against a reasonably fishy player.

Btw my fav sites are 888 and skypoker, both have $1.05 husngs and also a lot of casual players so it shouldn't be too hard to start off by trying to beat these.
    • Karl0zzz
      Karl0zzz
      Bronze
      Check your pm.