Live Reads/Tells - How do you do it?

• ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      I've played a fair amount of live cash/mtt poker and manage to hold my own but taking live reads is something I struggle with and I'm sure there are many more like me out there.

I try to get some of the info stuck into my head, but it just seems to drop right out after such a short time, I have tried numerous ways of trying to get it to stick, one of which is to repeat myself a few times in my head. "Min Raised 3B with QQ", "Blinked rapidly when river come, folded to raise" for example, but with so much information going on I just get overwhelmed.

So, how do you help keep live reads, do you write them down in an App, repeat several times, just stay 100% alert? How do you know which is a useful tell to store up and which are unreliable? I'd be interested to know how others manage it!
  • 7 replies
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Gold
      This is very interesting for me too. I hope that some people do reply, gonna use it on monday SnG.
    • SasoR7
      SasoR7
      Bronze
      Heh....this is one of my first posts here. Dont usualy write but this cought my atention a bit more than usual.

Live tells,heh. The way i see it,its not about the eyebrow or a spesific case.Its everything.

Example.....how hes dresed,what he drinks,what kinda lucky charm is he using.Does he smile alot and chat or not.Does he play alot. What cards does he have when you see them and how agresive he plays it.You putt them into groups and those groups you name yourself.

Example : One guy drinks beer, wears a suit and a shirt. Strickt,older in his 40s....(age also important) Doesnt realy talk much and his atention is on the cards most of the time,notising he doesnt realy research the faces or activity.....kinda tells you hes probably there for the money and is kinda determined he wont walk away with a -......hes dresed ocasionaly not to poke into players eyes to much wich also means he propably isnt that certain in his game and might be a bit scared.

Those are the so caled tells,that people dont notise....wait! they notice it,but dont know how and where to compart it or in other terms how to define them as a player by only looking what is he wearing and drinking.

Now your idea doesnt need to be 100% correct or even 20%,,,,,,,the point is that you learn how to judge players by the things your able to see. The eyebrow or a smile dont have anything to do with it,except if its done to MUCH....than yes.

Preety much when you sit down you start judging players,now dont get me wrong,it takes a bit of time but in the end your able to say :

The Wally is playing again,and the CLown is calling him with a range from this to that......Hands before they didnt show the bigest agresivness with good hands so i call with Q,J off to see how the Wally is gonna handle this flop.

A bit harder to explain too i gues,otherwise everyone would know how its done,but to be honest you have to have talent for it.To regognise people for what they are without them telling you. A lot of judgement and predigious but in the end its worth it.

You see the players on TV right, and look at them.Easy,relaxed,laughing,telling jokes. WHY ? not only becose they have money to lose but becouse theres nothing to TELL.....The mime is not the thing thats relevant,its how the prson feels and is he in the mood and how much. Its the inner tells were looking for not the outside is irelevent. NOw,do you ever think about the persons heart beat,or his legs shaking or a tiny drop of sweat cose running down his forhead,those are just an edittional things to equipt the painting your creating in your head.

It takes me an hour to know atleast 80% of my table,theyre stiles and errors.Preety much easy as Cake.

But as i said,its hard to learn it, its mostly talent and general people skills.

But the argument about the remembering hands from everyone and how they looked at you is definetly not it. The thing you remember from THAT IS........how they played the best hand they had,how they played the worst and when bluffed. Thats it.....just so you know the max agrresivnes and the minimum. And then the inner TELLS,and you GOT IT :)

hope all of this clears some things up some,but thats just my thinking or should i say recepy.

P.S......doesnt hurt to have a chess memory or photographic :D

cheers
    • ains21
      ains21
      Bronze
      I tend to film them on my iphone when they're playing pots and then sort them by category (e.g. "Fat guy>Bluffs>River Raise"). Then when I'm in a pot with them I ask them to hold on a second, wack my phone out and hold it up so I can watch them and the phone at the same time and look for any clues. People get a bit annoyed but hey: that's poker!
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      The slight movements of the eye brows is usually for the hollywood films.

I approach live games in the same way that I approach online games. Constantly trying to figure out WHY? Why he raised? Why he checked? Why he chose that betsize?

In live play you have more of those questions. Why is acting as he is? For every thing people do, they have a reason. It might not be the logical one, or even consious one, but there is a reason. When you can figure out the reason, you will succeed.

The most common thing to look for is how nervous the opponent is. Usually, people can't stop themselves being nervous. They might try to hide it, but usually that just makes it more visible. Mike Caro's book is an oldie, but it has some nice explanations on how recreational players act in the table.

One important thing is to know the difference between getting hyped up with a big hand, or being nervous as hero might call the bluff. Don't hesitate. If guy has shaking hand and he suddenly shuts his mouth when shoving the river, that might not be bluff. Wait for a while, and talk to him. If he relaxes and the tension relieves, he might have a hand. But if his tension keeps up or raises when you think about calling, he might be on a bluff.

Always ask why. Why is he relaxing? Why he is nervous? Why don't he talk to me? Why he asks "will you show if I fold?".

If you don't know the answer, you should find the answer.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Helpful guys thanks :)

First live MTT coming up next weekend and this is where I'm gonna struggle :(
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      Level 1 fish: he acts accordingly to his feelings. So he never lies or acts.
      Level 2 fish: he tries to act opposite to his feelings. Like when he has a premium hand, he tries to act like he has nothing. Things like looking at the time, saying "oh it's getting late. What the heck." before shoving.
      Level 3 fish: Aware of first 2 levels, so when he is unsure if he can hide his feelings, he freezes and barely breathes. If you can get this guy to talk with you, he will have inner struggle as his voice and behaviour gives up his feelings, but he tries to hide them. So you can figure out if he wants some certain action from you or not.
      Level 4 fish: Aware of previous ones, and if he can put you on certain level of reading he might try to catch you with leveling. Very rare amongst the recreational players.
    • Maloco87
      Maloco87
      Bronze
      I have called a few bluffs from people with weak hands when I saw them lean back in their chair and take a drink, but I think you have to decide what is normal for that player and if it doesnt look natural it is probably a bluff. this read has work for me.

also I have noticed a few times if I ask a player how much they have behind and they get quite annoyed and defensive they normally have the goods. I no this because I have taken that infomation as them being weak and called to see they have the nuts

thumbs pressing under the chin can also indicate strengh