Hi...My poker life so far.

• OoT4NKoO
      OoT4NKoO
      Bronze
      Good afternoon all,

I'm 24 years old, British and a recreational poker player. I've been playing live poker now for about 5 years and online for about 3 years, with varied success. If I had to add up all my winnings and losings live and online I should imagine I'd be around evens or slightly down. I think my biggest troubles are poor bankroll management, too much game variance (both buy-in and game type) and tilt. However this only seems to be online, which is where I have lost a large percentage of my money.

Hopefully this will all change over the next year or so, I have decided not to play for real money for the rest of this year (apart from my Friday night home game once a fortnight) and to concentrate on the theory side of poker as I have never really read anything about poker apart from Colin Moshman's sit n go strategy. I have copied all relevant articles from the sit n go and cash games sections from this site into one document which I am planning to work my way through over the next few months (nearly a thousand pages). I am also planning on working my way through the fantastic videos on this site, which from what I have seen look like they are going to help me no end. By not playing until next year I will also be-able to have enough information on bankroll management and will have a good idea of what amount of $'s I need to play at the level I want.

My long term goals are to play 200nl with the correct bankroll and enough knowledge to sustain it. I know all of this sounds great in theory but I am going to put some serious effort into this and hopefully will have some support of you guys along the way.

TANK
  • 4 replies
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi there OoT4NKoO and welcome to our community!

First, may I suggest something. It may or may not suit you to learn in such a manner but the downside of this type of study can be the learner gets a sort of 'Exam fixation' mentality. This means that we got to play and try out our newfound expertise to test our theories and learning, but this rarely works satisfactorily, mainly because exams are results orientated and short term variance can be up or down. If it's up we think we passed the exam and may slack off, if down, we may think we didn't learn the laterial properly, whereas it may just have been an unlucky session.

Just a thought is all, you may well know more about it than I.

Secondly, you said you had, or have, issues with tilt and suchlike. In that case you might be iterested in the link below, where you can ask questions and get all the help you need to understand and dismiss it. He is world class of course. :)

+++Q&A with Jared Tendler!!+++

Best regards and have fun,

Mal.
    • OoT4NKoO
      OoT4NKoO
      Bronze
      Hi Mal,

Thank you for the warm welcome.

From reading other posts and having a little knowledge of different learning types I thought this may be a problem, that I would gather this wealth of information be all geared up ready for reintroduction into the poker world only to go a bit of a losing streak and then doubt the past 3 months of theory, or I could start off well and like you said slack off and become complacent. I don't really have a solution to this, the only way of getting round it is to put the variance out of my mind and practice what I have learnt. Then assess my stats after a hand sample of 20k, 30k and so on...What do you think? I will also have my home game to practice my new found knowledge, usually play for 5-6 hours sometimes longer.

Thank you for thread, I will be reading that tonight and taking notes.

TANK
    • Thorek
      Thorek
      Bronze
      I hope u will start play NL200 as soon as it possible
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      Hello and welcome :f_biggrin: