Pre-Flop: ($0.15, 6 players) Hero is SB A J
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.30, BB raises to $0.80, Hero calls $0.50

Flop: 7 6 A ($1.60, 2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $0.80, Hero calls $0.80

Turn: 3 ($3.20, 2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $1.50, Hero calls $1.50

River: Q ($6.20, 2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $2.90, Hero calls $2.90

Final Pot: $12 Hero shows A J BB shows three of a kind, Sevens 7 7 BB wins $11.46 (net +$5.46) Hero lost $6

Villain is an unknown one tabler.

I call river bcs all possible draws bust and he is giving us a good price.
  • 5 replies
    • awishformore
      awishformore
      Bronze
      Depending on villain stats, you can fold this pre-flop.

However, against a smallish 3-bet and unknown, I would probably also call flop, maybe turn. However, on the river, you are basically only bluff-catching at that point. I think you are beat too often and river is a fold.
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Hi Gregor86,

I don't like the flat pre, rather use the hand as a 4bet bluff to balance your range if you want to defend wide against the 3bet.

As played I will assume that villain was bluff happy opponent so your line makes sense if this is the case, no other way to play it on suck bricks when all the draws miss.

I would start the hand by 4betting though since I don't think that your line is good unless villain is complete maniac which you know will fire relentlessly so you can call down when you hit.

Best regards.
    • awishformore
      awishformore
      Bronze
      Hi DeMarcohsp.

On this limit, small 3-bets mean two things:

1) They are weak, so you can play a hand like AJ in position against them.

2) They are strong and will shove over your 4-bet.

If you 4-bet in this spot, all you get is either his 3-bet, or a shove from a monster.

If you call in position, you can extract value from weaker hands, like AX or lower pairs. You only have to make sure that you fold if he keeps up too much pressure. There are many people who will barrel this spot twice, but will give up on the river.

I thus think to 4-bet pre-flop is a bad decision. Also, there is no need to balance your 4-betting range at all on this limit, certainly not against a player doing a less than 3x 3-bet OOP.
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Hi awishformore,

You basically said there that villain has a polarized 3betting range which is true for any good 3betting range. If he goes small he probably has a wider range and since one can only have a limited amount of strong hands he is likely to have a lot of bluff hands which therefore makes our 4bet bluffs very profitable against him.

Also we can start 4bet bluffing small against him to a size just above the one where he would flat us OOP. If that never happens we get a super cheap bluff, if it does we make it a little bigger and bluff him a lot.

Is this sizing by any means the default sizing on the limit ?
    • awishformore
      awishformore
      Bronze
      It's net default, but it happens frequently.

I still think there is more value in playing a semi-strong hand like AJ in position against these small 3-bets. We have so many opportunities to outplay him if his range is wide (floats, bluff-raises on turn) and even some to hit against his monsters.