Stacks:
      UTG ($20.92) 209bb
      UTG+1 ($11.39) 114bb
      CO ($10.67) 107bb
      BTN ($6.47) 65bb
      Hero (SB) ($17.74) 177bb
      BB ($6.34) 63bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.15, 6 players) Hero is SB Q K
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.30, 1 fold, Hero raises to $0.80, 1 fold, CO calls $0.50

Flop: 8 4 6 ($1.70, 2 players)
      Hero bets $1.05, CO calls $1.05

Turn: Q ($3.80, 2 players)
      Hero bets $2.60, CO calls $2.60

River: 8 ($9, 2 players)
      Hero checks, CO goes all-in $6.22, Hero calls $6.22
      Final Pot: $21.44 Hero shows two pair, Queens and Eights Q K CO shows three of a kind, Eights 8 K CO wins $20.48 (net +$9.81) Hero lost $10.67

Villain is 18/17, f23B 50%, AF 2.2.

River call was bcs of "what in earth do you rep?!?". Wrong mindset maybe?
  • 6 replies
    • awishformore
      awishformore
      Bronze
      I think this is a very tough spot, but seeing how all draws have busted, I think you can make the call here. 8X of course has you beat now, but at the same time, it has become less likely and draws turned into a bigger part of his range.

On a side note, you should 3-bet a lot bigger pre-flop - I think that's where the real problem lies. By making it only $0.50 more, you give him odds to call for set value, so sets are a much bigger part of his range than they should be.

OOP, I would 3-bet to $1.05 here (3.5 times his raise). I think in that case, the call on the river would be even easier.
    • TetraQuark
      TetraQuark
      Bronze
      All my 3b sizings are smaller by 1bb IP, but here I obv made an automatic mistake since I will make oop 3b one bb bigger. Ppl tend to flat more crap this way oop and fold a lot post. If I have a monster I can still get it in post bcs I just bet slightly bigger. Vs a clear fish all of this doesn't apply as a standard rai there is bigger.
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Hi Gregor86,

I deff agree with the bigger 3bet size here. 3.5x OOP 3x IP is good imo.

Without reads I would not 3bet this pre, don't think opponent is calling with worse Qx and Kx that much with him being CO. It looks like here he did, I can say that I am a bit surprised if this is the general state of the games. In this case your sizing is an invitation to get called all the time so start making it bigger.

As played I think we have some options.

- we can consider checking flop since the opponent is going to raise us with his sets/2pair/combos draws and getting it in on this flop is not the best thing I think.

-if we bet we can try to make our sizings a little bit bigger. Since we are targetting to get it in when we hit our flush I would try to have half pot size left on the river.

On the river if I know he is aggressive I would play the same since I don't think many 8x call the turn.

We can also consider a small bet like 2bb one for inducing purposes.

Best regards.
    • TetraQuark
      TetraQuark
      Bronze
      Firstly about 3b pre. Yeah opponent is on the tight side, but not nit/rock. That means he still has better hands than KQs he opens pre but folds to the 3b and a lot of hands that dominate just 4b me in pre prolly.

Yeah agree about inducing smallish bet on R. It is cool :)
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Gregor86
      All my 3b sizings are smaller by 1bb IP, but here I obv made an automatic mistake since I will make oop 3b one bb bigger. Ppl tend to flat more crap this way oop and fold a lot post. If I have a monster I can still get it in post bcs I just bet slightly bigger. Vs a clear fish all of this doesn't apply as a standard rai there is bigger.
      I still think that you should make it 3.5 x OOP. My opinion is that you are going to make lots of mistakes in putting your opponents on ranges when make it small because people react differently to them since they are not used with 3x or smaller 3bets OOP.
    • TetraQuark
      TetraQuark
      Bronze
      Yea yea I kinda didn't write it clear enough, OOP I make it (3x + 1bb) so on nl10 that is 1$. Sometimes 1.1$ depending if there was a limper in between or smth.

But IP I just experience (3x - 1bb) is bringing so much success. I mean ppl really level so hard and even nits start callin all sorts of crap. That way I keep my bluffs cheap and even w my monster there is no problem getting the stacks in, I just bet slightly bigger post.

Would you agree w this strategy?