pyropove

• pyropove
      pyropove
      Bronze
      Hi, after playing too badly for too long at the nl2/4 levels, I decided it was time to really commit to learning the game. I'm currently an unemployed(hopefully not for long) guy from the UK. I've been playing poker for around a year now. In that time I've blew two starting capitals and I've consistently lost money playing no limit cash, hopefully I can reverse the trend.
  • 6 replies
    • pyropove
      pyropove
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

I first got into poker on recommendation from a friend who plays poker for a living. The original reason for playing poker was to create extra income. Despite having failed at that miserably thus far, I've come to enjoy poker and find myself wanting to learn to win as opposed to just win money.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

My main weakness that is affecting me is my inability to adjust my play to fish sitting with short stacks.I also have a big problem with calling value bets on river when I know I should be behind, and generally not thinking through my decisions. There's many more to list but I think these are the major ones.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

To carefully pick a limited range of hands to actively bet with and avoid marginal spots post flop.
    • pyropove
      pyropove
      Bronze
      A couple of hands I'd like to be evaluated:
      NL4 - folding AA after committing half of stack
      NL4 - AKo vs 2 short stacks
    • pyropove
      pyropove
      Bronze
      More hands from today:
      NL4 - AJs OOP bet or give up river?
      NL4 - 88 calling on missed flop
      NL4 - AQo folding?
      NL4 - playing AA on a KK flop
      NL4 - AQs
    • pyropove
      pyropove
      Bronze
      Homework 2:
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?
      When the SHC suggest you fold with certain hands in the SB if there was several limpers, it is +EV to complete, due to high pot odds and the likelihood of being paid big by a fish. Same with minraising, if the pot goes multiway, it's beneficial to call in the blinds.

Blind stealing can be profitable versus tight players who don't defend blinds often enough, or just call and fold to many cbets.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      I seem to have a hard time knowing what range of hands to push SS fish with in general, for example:
      NL4 - TT push pre?

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range?
      Equity: 46.32%. Win: 37.91%. Tie: 8.41%.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

What about tilt? Do you adjust something against it? For example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy being with us here and will enjoy the course. In any case you have questions about anything then feel free to ask it, I will try to respond as soon I read it.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. Against specific opponents we adjust, either wider range or tighter range. Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise, for example 3xBB. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands. As for example stealing too many hands from SB and being out of position.

Agree as well with your comment about completing, if you have decent postflop understanding and able to get away with mediocre hands then you can still complete and take a look postflop. Often times even maybe win big money if you hit big.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.