SNG Challenge

• Dyange
      Dyange
      Bronze
      :spade: :heart: :diamond: :club:
      I've played every variant of Texas Hold'em but my favourite has got to be SNGs.
      I would really like to improve my play and i've got $5 on Everest Poker to start at the micro low limits, $0.10+$0.01 SNGs. I'm going to be playing these until I have 50BIs of the next level and keep on going up(or down) the stakes ladder.

I will be using this topic to tell you my progress, thoughts and any unsure hands.

I have also set myself a number of goals:
      - To have a basic grasp of the low limits strategy
      - To play 1000 SNGs by the end of the year
      - To have a positive ROI throughout the time
      - To find any leaks I have
      - To improve my ICM

Wish me luck!

Thank you :D
  • 8 replies
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Good luck, nice to see a blog aimed at bettering your game, and climbing the ladder, rather than being money orientated. You should also attend as many coachings as possible, as these are a great way to ask more in-depth questions, and you often get very detailed answers.

GL
      Steiv
    • Dyange
      Dyange
      Bronze
      Just played 4 SNGs, possibly the worst I've ever played :(

Going to play 4 more but fully concentrate on them and see if that improves my game, hopefully it will!
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      IMO you should fully concentrate on the tables whenever you play. Having people around you, the television on, just liitle things all affect your game. I think your workplace and surroundings are the most important things to get right before you start, along with your mental state.

GL
      Stiev
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      gl with ur goals, didn't know they did 10c sng's.. whats the next level up? I imagine these games would be really fishy so my best advice would be play tight at the beginning and let the donks knock each other out, they should be pretty easy to beat then
    • Dyange
      Dyange
      Bronze
      [quote]Originally posted by cannell555
      IMO you should fully concentrate on the tables whenever you play. Having people around you, the television on, just liitle things all affect your game. I think your workplace and surroundings are the most important things to get right before you start, along with your mental state.[/QUOTE]

Yeh seems to be true, I also find that if the space around me is clean then I am more focused.... but I think thats cause im crazy :tongue:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by p0kerQT
      gl with ur goals, didn't know they did 10c sng's.. whats the next level up? I imagine these games would be really fishy so my best advice would be play tight at the beginning and let the donks knock each other out, they should be pretty easy to beat then[/quote]Next levels 25 cents and there usually fishy but get the odd table with a few solid players on. I get some stupid calls against me but I'm not complaining :D

:spade: :heart: :diamond: :club:

I'm so glad I decided to have a few more SNGs, I played 6 at once fully concentrating on the tables with only switching to look at the Push/Fold charts. I ended up ITM in all 6 of them, I got 2 third places, 3 second places and 1 first place. So thats definitely a slight bankroll increase to $5.90. Also got a few hands which I will be posting in hand reviews which I'm unsure about and have lots of questions hopeing to be answered. I feel my Heads-Up play needs to improve so I can turn some of those second places into firsts, but I'll read into that tommorow. Altogether play 10 SNGs today, only 990 to go :D

Thanks for the comments, Night Everyone =)
    • Dyange
      Dyange
      Bronze
      Bad thing happened, computer got H4XX0R3D and I had to wipe it. I ended up losing a total day of play time yesterday since I was too tired to play after. Also lost hands and the PokerTracker database :( But it's ok I'm ready, more focused and Everest keeps a SNG history!

:D
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      My HU play is really bad also. I watched a few video's and it all became clear, I was playing way to tight still. Since then I downloaded ICM trainer, and now I am winning more than I loose, so I recommend it highly.

GL
      Stiev
    • gggeorgio
      gggeorgio
      Bronze
      Hi Dyange, good luck with your challenge!

I'm doing pretty much the identical thing, except I started at 5+0.5 sng's on absolute poker. (I originally lost my 50$ from ps after getting up to 400 and playing brutal bankroll management X( , so I restarted with 50$ from another site) I know I was starting out playing very bad BRM again, but I did this because I can't play well under 5$ sng's because I'm not able to take them seriously. Luckily I've made it up to enough that I can correctly play 5$ sngs, and as I move up from here I'll play strictly correct BRM :D

So far I've played 76 turbo sng's (on absolute poker the blinds raise every 5min in turbo so its not too fast) with a profit of 130$ and ROI of 31%. I know I've been running pretty hot so far, but I believe that these sng's are easily beatable because almost no one has any sense of the push or fold phase when the blinds get high. I think the biggest thing that will help your game is studying the ICM with ICM trainer, it has really helped my get a big edge so far.

Hopefully we both do well and move up the limits!!