Lots of Questions!

• Dyange
      Dyange
      Bronze
      I'm currently on a mission to improve my game and when I was playing a few SNGs I wrote down any questions so I could post them here.

1.) What happens if we have a reraising hand, for example KK (5/10 blinds) and their are 4 limps and then a minimum raise in front of us. Do we ignore the minimum raise and oraise to four times the Big Blind plus one Big Blind per limper, 80 in this case. Or do we raise to three times the size of the original raise, 60 in the case. It seems stupid for the second one since we are raising less than we would of been. Which one is it though?
      2.) If you limp will low pockets preflop and face a minimum raise after you, do you call it or fold?
      3.) If you have over 24BB in tournament and someone minimum raises you and you have JJ do you fold it still? Justify this one please :D
      4.) If you have over 24BB but everyone else has less than 23BB can you blind steal or not?
      5.) In the strategy article it tells you to "if you raise a bet from your opponent, raise to double the amount of the current pot." (after the flop) but how much is this. For example, what the answer be if the pot was 100 and your opponent raised 10?
      6.) What type of strategy would you use when it's 3-4 handed and everyone has deep stacks, like 40BB+?

Thanks for the answers!
  • 7 replies
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      1) not entirely sure on this one, probably 3x original raise + 1extra BB per previous limper.. just a guess ?(

2) I normally call min raises if I'm already in the hand with a low pp.

3) I'd reraise with JJ, to see how strong your opponent is, minraisers suck.

4) Yes, you can blindsteal whenever the coz the blinds are always rising so you need to sometimes to maintain your stack, just make sure you dont steal with total crap incase you do get called.

5) Double the amount of the pot 100+ their bet 10, raise to 220.

These are just my opinions though, n I'm still learning
    • ManniXXX
      ManniXXX
      Bronze
      1. Treat the minraise as a limper. So 4 limpers + 1 min raise = 5 limpers.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      1. i treat minraise, and minraise callers as 2 limpers each, so i raise 3+6BB in your case.

2. almost always call. if you can't profitably call a minraise, you shouldn't be limping the low pockets in the first place.

3. i usually call in position. reraising is ok as well with reads. OOP if they are tight, i will fold

4. cf strategy: no. but i generally steal until around 15BB effective stacks.

5. it would be a raise to 220 (size of the pot is 100+10). but it's more for significant bets, like halfpot+. so if he bets 50 into the pot of 100, you raise to 300, or if he bets 100, you raise to 400.
    • Biglion
      Biglion
      Global
      1. You have to be sure only people with big cards will be in the hand: if you make your bet 6xBB they may call you just to see a flop. As chenny8888 says: 3+6BB raise will do it as most of the guys will think they are against a big slick and fold their cards.

2. I say it depends on the quantity of the limpers. If there are like 6 limpers its always good to call if there's a small raise (beware of this play if you are in early position as there can be a re raise). Odds are good to call this small raise if many people limped and called the raise.

3. Depends on the opponent. If he's tight call if you are in position or you have many more chips than him, if you are oop fold. If he's loose you may consider a call and bet on the fold if it seems harmless.

4. No you can't!... Well you can try it and perhaps succed at it even in the >24BB phase but its pointless as the blinds aren't big in off to get a profit out of it. The smaller the stacks compared to the blinds the greatest it is to steal the blinds.

5. That would be to 220. You are doubling the current pot size (its called betting the pot when you do this). Its a stronger raise than the usual 2/3 of the pot.

6. Finish your sentence god **** it! :D
    • Dyange
      Dyange
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Biglion
      6. Finish your sentence god **** it! :D
      Weird story about that actually, was typing it in when mouse moved around my itself clicking on stuff. I quickly clicked post and click the power button off. Wiped my computer today because I think I was "H4XX0R3D"!.

Finished off that last sentence now. :D
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      6) wait for good cards.. One of the other players will usually slip up sooner or later, n u don't want to risk losing on the bubble in a marginal situation when you and your opponents all have decent stacks.
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      6. because i am personally very happy with my 3handed/heads up cash game skills, i would just play good positional poker. there is little ICM tax unless one of the players is a lot shorter stacked than you (this is in terms of size of stacks), so general cashgame applies.

4-handed is very different. here we are on the bubble. i would try push around the middle stacks (usually low limit players will play too weak/tight here) if i was a bigstack.