About Equity

• windar021
      windar021
      Bronze
      I dont understand some part on equity.. lets say you got AA vs 55 this means that you got almost 80% equity right? but Ive a watched a vid and on the example AKo, flop of 10c 6c 10c he mentioned opponent range and gave their equity.. I mean did he memorize it?? how can he say that is the equity without having a calculator.. Im totally confuse here..
  • 7 replies
    • bjela
      bjela
      Bronze
      He probably calculated it before recording the video, and just gave you the number, instead of spending a few minutes plugging the ranges into the calculator on the spot.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      yeah or he knows basic equities like overpair vs top pair on the flop, set vs flush draw etc etc. it's good to play around with equilab and learn these things. apparently after a while you "get a feel for it". i've yet to reach that stage tho :D
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      When you practise something long enough, you will learn it. Equities can be learned for all the basic spots, and the more you think and practise them the better you will get.
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      This might also help sometimes.

Flop:

Equity=(Odds*4)+2

Turn:

Equity=(Odds*2)+2
    • ProfitsofDoom
      ProfitsofDoom
      Basic
      There is a program called Ace Poker Drills that is pretty cool. It drills you on situations for Preflop, Postflop, Odd/Outs, Equity, etc. The idea is through repititive drills you will start to recognize common situations and be able to estimate your equity or odds/outs in a given situation.

I feel like a noob with some of the quizzes, but it is definitely helpful.

It comes with an equity calculator that is pretty good also. has some nice features. You can pull up hands directly for your database, it can auto generate opponent hand ranges for 3 bet/4bet/ calling range, limped pot, etc.
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by maheepsangari
      This might also help sometimes.

Flop:

Equity=(Odds*4)+2

Turn:

Equity=(Odds*2)+2
      I would change that Flop equity is just outs*4.

And that odds*2+2 is for the next card, no matter if it's turn or river.
    • windar021
      windar021
      Bronze
      where can I find that this Ace Poker Drills?