Pushing any 2 from SB

• Spidey1978
      For a long time it appears I pushed to tightly and was barely breaking even but having recently watched Nicks Session Review and seeing him push any two, first in from small blind, when he has an effective stack of less than 7BB has changed that.

At the moment it appears to be working and I am ITM and winning more at the moment (time will tell if I am just on an up swing).

Could someone explain the maths behind why pushing any two is +$Ev from SB (I'm still trying to get my head round EV and +$ev etc). Something to do with good pot odds I'd imagine.

Examples always help.
  • 4 replies
    • chenny8888
      not examples. ranges. your opponents have a fixed amount that they can call you with, and players (especially the low limit ones) find it difficult to make calls for all-in with A2s, or K9o, even if it's so damned obvious that this is the right thing to do.

from the sb, because everyone has folded, only one player can call us behind our shove, so most of the time (say, 85% of the time), he folds to us. the maths is not so important here, because it is very specific to the case in point.

i would suggest posting examples by the way ;) , there are some spots where an any two shove may seem like the right move, but indeed it isn't.
    • Biglion
      When there are three players left you have to be very aggressive. Sometimes I play quite passive because I really want to be in 1st place but aggressive style of play can be good.

Are you familiar with the concepts Fold Equity and Hand Range?
      The opponents will alwasys fold many of the hands (72o, 83o, etc) and with some hands just call (J7s, T8s and more). If you raise in the Small Blind, your opponent hast to be in the 5-15% of hands he will call with (pairs, any Ax suited or not)... if he isn't on this percent, you will always get a check mark and win the hand... :D

Fold Equity makes it profitable because you know you opponent will fold with many hands, if he calls you may be in good position with two live cards, but at the phase 3 of a SnG they will fold 90-95% of the hand range when facing a raise (even from the short stack small blind).

Also, if you are the short stack, you don't have much space to plan many fancy strategies or plays against your opponents, you just have to PUSH or FOLD, that's the real meaning of the phase 3 when you are in the Short Stack.
    • Spidey1978
      Thanks guys - Chenny, I will post some hands soon and you can tell me if I've made the right decisions ;) - still a new move for me but so far seems to be paying off, seems I was missing quite a few +$EV opportunities.

Obviously there are many exceptions but as a rough rule, how shortstacked should you be before pushing any two, less than 5-7 effective BB depending on who is in the BB?

Someone should write an article for the SnG strategy area explaining the profitability of pushing like this.
    • camicio
      Sit&Go wizard can analyze the hand history of the sit&go's you played and tell you if you did the right thing in the push/fold mode

i was pushing too tight from the small blind when first in as well... i was really surprised when i saw that i didn't push in a "push 100%" situation :D