Too Funny - Accidental Newbie to Omaha

• Genesis44RNMD
      Genesis44RNMD
      Bronze
      As I'm sure many NL players have done before, I clicked on the wrong game type and wound up in in an 18-man Omaha $3.50 SNG. Having no clue what I was doing (couldn't remember if it's 3 from my hand and 2 from the board or vice versa), I went to Wikipedia for the rules and improvised.

I CAME IN FIRST absolutely dominating the bubble and end-game!!!!! LOL!!! I must admit that I seemed to be getting good cards though.

A couple questions for my new Omaha friends:

1) Is it possible that my aggresive NL style helped me? I didn't find people very aggressive pre-flop (a hell of a lot of limping, WOW!!). Post flop I just went with the flow...

2) If I were to read one, and only ONE book on Omaha Hi-Lo, what would that book be?

3) Since I'm new to this site, who's videos or articles should I start with to learn more about Omaha strategy and are SNGs the way to go?

Thanks everyone!
  • 5 replies
    • badgerer
      badgerer
      Silver
      congrats :)

1) probably yes, but some luckboxing may have also been involved
      2) depends which type or hi-lo you are interested in (fixed limit, pot limit or no limit)
      3) not sure if u mean plo or omaha8 (hilo)
    • suitedaces1701
      suitedaces1701
      Platinum
      1) Yea your aggressive style helped. Players at that low level pretty much play fit or fold so bet when they show weakness and they fold.

2) I've only read one book and it was T.J. Cloutier's no limit hold'em strategy or something like that with Tom Mccoy? Books are old lol I'm sure you'd be better off reading articles here and videos but I wouldn't know.

3) I very much recommend Nazgul's coaching project (dubbed) by Nazgul. The series made me learn the game so well and I truly believe that I can beat NL50 when I get the bankroll. I don't think SNGs are the way to go simply because I don't see them running that much so as easy as they are, it might be hard to build a BR. Micro limit PLO's rake is also sky high but beatable/crushable. So it's probably better to try another game first to get the role and then switch to PLO when you can afford it :)
    • Genesis44RNMD
      Genesis44RNMD
      Bronze
      Thanks guys, greatly appreciated!! I'll check out all the info you gave me.

@Badgerer, sorry, it was NL O8 Hi-Lo :)
    • ZeroDegrees
      ZeroDegrees
      Bronze
      DONT READ ANYTHING NOW!
      If it's not broken, dont fix it, polish it

Have started some with Omaha and just play, observe to get some own feeling, when I advance there will be plenty of time for theory.

Gratz n cheers
    • badgerer
      badgerer
      Silver
      Originally posted by Genesis44RNMD
      @Badgerer, sorry, it was NL O8 Hi-Lo :)
      you will find pretty much nothing worth reading or watching that covers nlo8 unfortunately.

however, you seem to be off to a good start already. so good luck.