Starting again

• Mardah
      Mardah
      Bronze
      Hi everyone!

It has been almost two years since I last played online poker and am thinking about starting again.
      I have always enjoyed playing STT, small and large MTT mainly because they have a certain dynamic to them and i cant loose my whole stack raging when the whole table folds to my AA,KK for the tenth time :D

Now to the question. I have read on several places that sng-s are getting "solved" and the overall skill is decent so there is much less fish.
      Is that true, and is it something to worry about at low stakes? I intend to start at the micros and enjoy myself slowly building up.

I ask because if that is true i might just play a few sng-s for enjoyment and work on my cash game.
  • 4 replies
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey,

Generally people will say SNG's are solved because you can shove certain BB's from certain positions and know that it is an unexploitable shove.

They are anything but "solved" and you can always exploit your opponents by introducing new ranges from different stack depths.

It is true however that with NL Cash Games, you are a lot more likely to learn more because you play considerably more post flop pots meaning you can exploit you weaker opponents on 4 streets and get your money in with 100% equity rather than lots of pre flop flips.
    • Mardah
      Mardah
      Bronze
      Hey,

Thanks for the answer.

Yeah, I understand that there is more to learn by playing cash.

I guess I'll start playing the sng's that I enjoy until i get a very conservative bankroll to improve at cash. I had a habit of going on tilting sprees, not a good thing for cash games :f_cry:
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      SnGs aren't solved, since ppl are still playing them for a living. :) The fact that there are situations in which you can take an unexploitable shove doesn't negate that.

There are good regs and b/e regs which indicates that even amongst ppl who "know what they are doing" there is a skill differential which translates into different ROIs.

Good luck with your restart!
    • Mardah
      Mardah
      Bronze
      Hey,

Yeah, i guess you can always be better than the rest :)

Any recommendations on poker rooms? I used to play at Full tilt.
      I know that stars has got the highest traffic but it's also a bit tougher.
      Any particular site good in the traffic/fish ratio?