MasochisticDesire

• MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      Hi all,
      MasochisticDesire here going back to school. :f_thumbsup:

I have played poker for around 3 years but with little structure to my learning. I have recently started taking poker more seriously and hope to rebuild the foundations of my game online! and fill in the gaps in my knowledge.

Thank-you all in advance for curing me of my ignorance. :D

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

In no particular order:
      :spade: Build universally applicable skills.
      :heart: Achieve financial independence through a hobby that is mentally stimulating and character building.
      :diamond:P rospect of an income that allows me to travel.
      :club: FREEDOM!

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

errrr, how long you got?
      Most immediate issues...
      :spade: Too results orrientated.
      :heart: FPS
      :diamond: Playing substandard to capability the majority of the time.
      :club: Temperament.

(All interlinked I'm sure)

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

To choose to play a narrow hand range consisting largely of 'value' hands. Often seizing the initiative having chosen to enter a pot. Valuing superior/late position in order to gather maximum information and subsequently making more profitable decisions.

So, my re-education begins.
      Thanks again PS.com and Coaches for the hard work. =)

MD
  • 8 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

What about tilt? Do you adjust something against it? For example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy being with us here and will enjoy the course. In any case you have questions about anything then feel free to ask it, I will try to respond as soon I read it.
    • MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      Hi veriz, thanks for your time.

What about tilt? Do you adjust something against it?

I am aware that tilt can be the biggest game killer but I never suffer from 'cronic tilt,'
      like 5bet jamming J9o or stacking off 100BB vs a guy who 3bets 3%.
      Poker does piss me off a fair bit (especially atm as I'll explain later) but I just wont play for a week until I feel more posotive.

My biggest psychological leak is being too results orrientated and looking to 'get it in' too light in the hope of making financial progress. (Guess this could be another form of tilt.)
      It looks like this:

iPoker - $0.10 NL - Holdem - 5 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 3

UTG: $27.24
      Hero (CO): $10.00
      BTN: $8.11
      SB: $8.30
      BB: $10.00

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero has Q:spade: K:club:

fold, Hero raises to $0.30, BTN calls $0.30, SB calls $0.25, fold

Flop: ($1.00, 3 players) K:heart: 3:club: 5:heart:
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.75, BTN calls $0.75, fold

Turn: ($2.50, 2 players) J:diamond:
      Hero bets $1.98, BTN raises to $3.96, Hero raises to $8.95, BTN calls $3.10

River: ($16.62, 2 players) 8:diamond:

Hero shows Q:spade: K:club: (One Pair, Kings) (Pre 47%, Flop 2%, Turn 0%)
      BTN shows 5:diamond: 5:spade: (Three of a Kind, Fives) (Pre 53%, Flop 98%, Turn 100%)
      BTN wins $15.52

On auto pilot I see my TPGK and am looking for excuses to get my money in. I dont think this is terrible play but his min raise on the Turn leaving so little back appears to polarise his range leaning heavily to made hands. If I stop to think about this spot (even if I made the same decision) I think my poker game would be considerably stronger.

Valuable Variance :f_cry:

Im not gunna moan endlessly about how bad I am running, hopefully I have some half way constructive questions.

Is variance higher the more marginally you are beating the game?
      Is variance higher the more aggressively you play the game?

Below is the graph and stats of the 30K hands I have played since getting back to online poker.
      I'm running 13BI's below EV. I'm not pissed at all (honestly) but it does knock my confidence to the point where I start to question everything I am doing. I am more worried about this as I think confidence (though not arrogance) is very important to be a solid winner at this game.

I guess my question is, am I in serious trouble losing at the rate my EV line would suggest over this small-ish sample?

In case my pictures are as crap as ussual:
      Green line:
      30k hands
      -$220
      -3.64 BB/100

Had to change format of the stats as PT3 wouldn't let me export it :f_frown:

The 'without blind' stat for BB&SB is actually green/posotive

Stat Totals:

VPIP - 20
      PFR - 16
      AF - 2.9
      3bet - 7.3
      F3bet - 73 (know this is too hich but think it a smaller leak then poor play post flop)
      AtSteal - 29
      Fold either to st - 78
      WTSD - 25
      W$SD - 53
      W$WSF - 47

Do any obvious leaks jump out at ya here?

I was very suprised to see that I only have a PFR of 25% from the BTN, feels like I am opening much wider then that. Obv I should be winning from MP and probably need to look hard at this.

So veriz, sorry for the long post,
      is there hope for me yet? :f_p:

If I were to build default ranges by position (to use as a basis) using Equilator, would you be alright with taking a look over them?

Thanks again for your time,
      MD
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Is variance higher the more marginally you are beating the game?

Watch this video and get the answer from it: link.

Is variance higher the more aggressively you play the game?

Of course, the more hands you play, the more aggressive you are the more situations you face aka you also willing to face bigger variance. The less hands the smaller the variance cause you wont face tough decisions which you wont be able to answer what to do.

I guess my question is, am I in serious trouble losing at the rate my EV line would suggest over this small-ish sample?

30k hands is really small sample mate, you can't really base on that and seems that you also seem to run bad. Of course as from the hands we see you also wasting tons of money, especially with TPTK as you say yourself.

Do any obvious leaks jump out at ya here?

Yes, you don't like to steal that much. Though I'd recommend you posting rather more overall stats not every position. It's not worth taking a look into position stats unless you have decent sample for it. Everything else looks fine. Too bad that I am not that familiar with analyzing stats with PT, otherwise I could just tell you what reports I'd need to see. :P Though PT should have them the same way, just have to find overall stats, positional stats etc.

So veriz, sorry for the long post, is there hope for me yet?

There is always hope for every type of player if you just willing to put enough of work into it. :)

If I were to build default ranges by position (to use as a basis) using Equilator, would you be alright with taking a look over them?

Yeah, depends what kind of ranges are we talking about but sure. But as in poker everything is always depends it might vary very widely. :) The best chart to use it anyways the advanced chart to use which you will find in the articles if you are talking about open-raise ranges.
    • MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      :diamond: :diamond: :diamond:

Hail PS.com Coaches
      Thanks for providing this service; I am hoping to pick up where I left off if someone is happy to replace my old mentor veriz.

Originally posted by MasochisticDesire
      Hi all,
      MasochisticDesire here going back to school. :f_thumbsup:

I have played poker for around 3 years but with little structure to my learning. I have recently started taking poker more seriously and hope to rebuild the foundations of my game online! and fill in the gaps in my knowledge.

Thank-you all in advance for curing me of my ignorance. :D
      Same goals only 0.001% more experienced :f_biggrin:

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

In no particular order:
      :spade: Build universally applicable skills.
      :heart: Achieve financial independence through a hobby that is mentally stimulating and character building.
      :diamond:P rospect of an income that allows me to travel.
      :club: FREEDOM!
      Same motivation only 0.001% more wise.
      Over the past year I have re-learnt the value of a little impossed structure and also of having varied interests and projects though moving forward I cartainly want poker to be one of them.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

errrr, how long you got?
      Most immediate issues...
      :spade: Too results orrientated.
      :heart: FPS
      :diamond: Playing substandard to capability the majority of the time.
      :club: Temperament.

(All interlinked I'm sure)
      Plus general ignorance :f_biggrin:

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

To choose to play a narrow hand range consisting largely of 'value' hands. Often seizing the initiative having chosen to enter a pot. Valuing superior/late position in order to gather maximum information and subsequently making more profitable decisions.

So, my re-re-education begins.
      Thanks again PS.com and Coaches for the hard work. =)

MD
      :diamond: Returning to the tables

Remembering that a massive hurdle for me in my last online spree was being too results orrientated and all the crap that goes with it, I have decided to start right at the bottom in the hope of avoiding this particular trap.

Currently playing NL5 Zoom (not tracked :f_cry: )

I have to give some serious thought as to how much time per week I can realisticly dedicate to study and volume but my hope is that this time be dedicated to building my game rather than pushing towards the vain goal of being able to make money off this game overnight.

Thanks guys,
      hope it is ok to bump my old post.

MD
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Welcome back MasochisticDesire

I don't think that you can get rid of being results oriented just by starting lower. Once you hit the same limit you were at before old habits will come back UNLESS you do something about them :)

So I definitely recommend working on it.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Bogdan
    • MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      Hi Bogdan,
      Thanks for take me into 'the fold.' :f_biggrin:

Originally posted by BogdanPS

I don't think that you can get rid of being results oriented just by starting lower. Once you hit the same limit you were at before old habits will come back UNLESS you do something about them :)

So I definitely recommend working on it.

Bogdan
      I think you are correct.
      I still find myself checking the pretty graphs and BR balance too regularly even playing NL5. I am playing pretty tight BRM atm (just hit 20BI having made an 8BI investment without the initial intention of making more than a recreational visit to P*s) so have half an excuse for keeping an eye on the BR.

Thus far I am getting good at not looking mid-session but as soon as I am more comfortably rolled I hope to work on looking at results less and less frquently.

I am currently under the impression that a player can 'train' themselves to be less results orrientated in at least two ways:

1) Try to adopt a mindset regarding poker that recognises your investment to the game as less financial and more the development of the necessary and universally applicable skill set, discipline and time management, and (paticularly relevant to my situation as it has been ten years since I was at school) improving the art of learning, how to teach oneself and self improve.

When approached like this it is plain to see that, along-side appropriate application, poker is not merely a game of finding in-game +EV spots but also +LifeEV. :f_grin:

2) Disciplined practice:
      Assuming appropriate BRM. Enforcing structured times that you check progress graphs and cashier etc. Eg: every 5k hands, once a week, once a month etc
      Slowly building the length of time until the player is no longer fixated with results and more interested in making the right decisions.

This is ofcourse all been said before by better players than I but I thik it helps to write.
      This is how I intend to work on the 'results orrientated' mindset moving forward.

Anywho, moving on.
      Thanks for taking me on and could I please get tasked with h/w #2 please.
      Also I would like to carry on where I left off and am hoping you can take a look at my default opening ranges by position if I paste them up.

All the best,
      MD
    • MasochisticDesire
      MasochisticDesire
      Bronze
      I have considered my previous rambling on the issue of a 'results orrientated' mindset and decided that, if it is indeed a discipline that requires cultivation through structure, then there is no time like the present.
      Aggressive BRM might be a suitable excuse to keep half an eye on the results when shooting to go up limits, at ground zero I think is a soft.

And so...
      PT3 is suitably configured and I herebye pledge that I will not check on my cashier or results at any time between Sunday afternoons (where I shall run reports etc)

Signed,
      MD

ps - where you by any chance playing NL5zoom@Stars on Sunday evening?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      The BRM strategy you employ definitely has a say in how often you should check your cashier.

If you use an aggro strategy you would need to check it more often so you don't run the risk of running too low.

If you play with a more conservative BRM then you can be more casual in your approach to check results.

I've had many students, that have a more conservative BRM, report that they've had a lot of success with not checking their cashier/hm/pt for results. They have found that they are able to play better longer and not worry about the results as much. And as you said it, it comes down to discipline.