etiquette question

• germany5590

I have a question regarding a situation I got into last night with a omaha live cash game. I am fairly new to this game but to have a relative idea of how to play etc. so please dont go bashing on my game if I did the wrong thing (I am still learning). The question I have in relation to this is purely an etiquette question.

So we were playing for a bit over an hour .25/.50 PLO six handed. Every bought in for roughly 100BB each. I got lucky along the way and got two people to ship it on me when i flopped Queens full so by the time, the incident happened I was on roughly 320BB.

Now this is from the back of my head so the bets my not be spot on but the rough idea is right.

I was UTG with AxKxQ:heart: 10:heart: . I opened for $1.25, the person UTG +1 made the call. The next player (UTG+2) was pretty loose and aggressive all night just potting the hell out of everything that came his way. So he made it $6. The cutoff folded and the button called, I called and UTG+2 called.

The flop came Q:club: J:spade: 8:heart: . I checked it, UTG+2 pots it for $24. The guy on the button tanked for a bit and ships it for about $79 total. I ended up tanking for a bit and ended up making the call figuring I had a few outs even if he hit a set. So it folds around and the guy on the button, who was the dealer at the time (we dealt the hands ourselves) turned over Q8 with no redraws to straights.

Now this is where it gets iffy imo, we had played hands all night and it is normally common practice to ask if you want to run boards multiple times. It happened all night. As I was counting out the money for the all in call, someone at the table asked how often we want to run it. Just after that the guy dealing, who was all in with me just deals the turn which was the 8:club: , which essentially gives him the nuts. And then he says I only want to run it once. Now I know by the rule book everything went down fairly, BUT i had not even counted out the rest of my chips or even had a remote talk about how often we were going to run it and that was a bit stink. Thank god it was the last hand of the night, because I was on MEGAFUCKINGTILT after that.

So my question is... is it a breach of etiquette not asking the other person how often he wants to run it? He said in the end that he was only going to run it once anyway, but I guess that is easy to say once the turn gives him the nuts. I wonder how things would have played out if the turn would have been an Ace, King, Jack or Ten. I honestly can say that if he would have turned an Ace I would let him deal the river multiple times, but at least I would offer it to him.
  • 3 replies
    • metza
      It depends on the situation. If it is standard practice in your game to always ask how many times you guys want it run before dealing any more cards then I guess it is bad etiquette.
    • jaeden23
      I think to avoid situations like this and keep your earnings consistent only ever run the board once, the only reason people ask is because they want to increase their chance of winning, and I don't know why you would ever want to decrease yours.

At the end of the day he was in his rights to say run it once after the turn came and he was most likely there to win money, not to make friends. Maybe it's bad etiquette but people will take any chance they get to take your money in poker, and you should do the same instead of worrying about what's good etiquette.
    • MichaelDeMichele
      Once the turn card is dealt there's pretty much no way to run it more than once. It wouldn't be fair to the person who was benefited by the card. Try not to get mad at the guy with the Q8 since noone said anything. Once the card is dealt that's pretty much it.