Raknyo

• Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze
      Introduction
      Hi there, I have really enjoyed playing poker over the past couple years but have never gained the discipline to get very far with it. I never felt like I could concentrate on 2NL due to it being such a micro stake but after starting to read 'The Mental Game of Poker', I am seeing great improvement with how I approach poker.

As a test of my new found discipline, I am going to complete the Beginners course and earn the graduation badge.
  • 15 replies
    • PhoenixPhreak
      PhoenixPhreak
      Bronze
      Nice! Good luck. I'm working on the course now too and it is good to review and learn from the basics!
      And we're in the same Study Group now.
      :f_biggrin:
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck Raknyo,

Great to have you with us here, hopefully you will enjoy around here. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, we will be around for you. Meanwhile good luck on tables, we will be waiting for your homework.

You can start with your 1st Lesson:
      Lesson #1

The whole course plan:
      Overview of Beginners Course

Best Regards.
    • Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      • To the learn the relevant disciplines to succeed in poker and life in general.
      • To gain financial independence.
      • To be able to travel the world, following the tournament circuit.
      • I find card games highly enjoyable.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are making during your games? Are you playing while you're tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write down as many as you think are affecting you.)
      • I play when I'm too tired.
      • I play before doing proper preparation (I like to meditate before playing).
      • Going to the showdown too much.
      • Trying to bluff too much, especially OOP.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is and why does it work.)
      The principles of TAG are:
      Tight - You don't feel the need to play every hand, you wait patiently, some times not playing a hand for a while. You also don't feel the need to go to the showdown every time you have a pair.
      Aggressive - You put your opponents in tricky spots by betting instead of calling.
      Position - You play most often when you have position on your opponent. You have the royalty of seeing his actions before you take your turn, and can benefit from more +EV moves.

Feel like the first lesson went really well, already using the information learned to prevent me from doing my mistakes. For example, I keep reminding myself that I don't need to go to the showdown just cause I have top pair.
    • Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze
      Fuck, just closed my browser with my answers in. :rolleyes:

Attempt 2:

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why? (Are there any hands you would play differently? Do you have a problem or question about how a specific hand or hands should be played?)

I'd open-raise all PP and some SC when first in for deception and to balance my range.
      I'd open up my range in late position when first-in in an attempt to blind steal. How much I open my range depends on my opponents and their playing tendencies.
      I'd also open up my range more in an attempt to isolate players if I thought that it had a higher EV than limping behind or folding.
      I'd also try and play when my hand dominates a lot of my opponents range and other factors permit it.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. ( Post your hand in the Hand evaluation forums and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)
      AQo – OOP versus MP Raise from Unknown

This is the only problem I seem to have, I never know whether to raise or flat with marginal hands when OOP against unknown opponents.

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo. ( You can either calculate this yourself or use an equity calculator such as the PokerStrategy.com Equilab.)

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }
      MP3    46.32%  37.91%   8.41% { AKo }

Very happy with my studying so far, have just came across a new method of studying: SQ3R. Think I am able to retain the information a lot more using this method and hope to continue having great success with it.
    • Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze
      Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53? (Tip: you can use the Equilab to help you with this task.)

Pre-Flop

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    50.78%  50.40%   0.38% { KsQs }
      MP3    49.22%  48.84%   0.38% { 3d3c }

Post-Flop

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    26.46%  26.46%   0.00% { KsQs }
      MP3    73.54%  73.54%   0.00% { 3d3c }

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)
      No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1: $2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero) $2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with AJ
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 263 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

You need 4:1 pot odds to profitably call but BU looks strong here so your can assume you'll be able to win the extra needed to profitably call here.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. (Post your hand in the hand evaluation forum and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)
      No questions, hand here.

Feeling extremely confident about my game but am stilling making sure to revise properly. Looking forward to more in-depth detail about what to do post-flop.
    • Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze
      Really happy with this month, feel like I've improved not only as a poker player but as a person. Only a few more days and I should have enough $ to move up to NL5 :)

Question 1: Post a hand for evaluation in which you have the initiative postflop.
      QJs – Top Pair w/ Good Kicker OOP Against 2-Bet on Wet Flop

Question 2: Evaluate one of the hands submitted by other members.
      NL5 AQ vs river flush possibility

Question 3: You are on the flop with KQ. The board cards are J, 9, 8, and your opponent holds 77. What is your equity in this spot?

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      MP3    58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }
    • PhoenixPhreak
      PhoenixPhreak
      Bronze
      What's your BR, how many BIs are you looking to have before going to NL5?
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Playing tired can cause a lot problems. Usually you are moody when tired and get easily angry. Which means you get tilty that brings towards you playing less your A-game. Also lets not forget that you ain't concentrating enough and watching the game which is the worst part. You have to find a way to adjust to tilt. For example against tilt:

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Another option against tilt is to set yourself shorter sessions which might avoid you from tilting. If you playing longer sessions then it's more likely that during that session you can get upset. So work on your game and try to find out what makes you tilt and try to fight against it.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy being with us here and will enjoy the course. In any case you have questions about anything then feel free to ask it, I will try to respond as soon I read it.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Hehe, try using such a opening method for browser which will open last closed webiste, it should also open the part which you wrote. :P So wont lose next time it. :D

Playing PPs can be in long run be very profitable, we could even say that you earn the most money with them (except of course KK/AA strong hands :D ). You can always try out either you play them profitable or not by check the programs either you are doing great on early position with PPs or not and base according to that. Although the problem with playing them, especially from EP if you playing FR is the case that you wont always play them profitable and very low ones I would even advice to fold as 22-55 and raise it up like 66-77+.

Totally agree with you about the stealing ranges. Against specific opponents we adjust, either wider range or tighter range. Against some shorties you can even steal with smaller raise, for example 3xBB. But don't overdo the stealing situations. Sometimes you might just put yourself into too many difficult spots if opening with marginal hands. As for example stealing too many hands from SB and being out of position.

Isolating can be very profitable actually since people on lower stakes take the fast and easy line by just Fit/Folding too much. With that you will earn in long run a lot profit. Which means you can isolate with even wider range, sometimes even with the all range which you planned to limp.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #3 Done!

About Question #1:
      Preflop Equity:

Equity Win Tie
      UTG 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% { 3d3c }

Postflop Equity:

Board: J:spade: 5:diamond: 3:spade:
      Equity Win Tie
      UTG 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% { KsQs }
      UTG+1 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% { 3d3c }

About Question #2:
      There are several occasions on turn:
      a) If we take just odds for the FD and we take into account that all our odds are clean. Which means:
      Total Pot = $0,91 ; We have to Call = $0,22 -> According to that it means we are getting ~4,16:1 odds. For flushdraw we would need 4:1. Which tells us that we are getting perfect odds.
      b) If we consider the opponent having sets here:
      Which means we have to discount outs, for example 6 and also 3. Which means we have 7 clean outs so that means we need 6:1 odds. That tells us that we need ~$0,41 on river to make it profitable. If we expect the opponent being loose enough and being able to pay us no-matter what then we can do the Call here properly.
      c) We might even have overcards as outs or even 4 as a out:
      Although this kind of situation ain't that likely. I'd rather discount that one and either pick a) or b). Most likely towards Call.

You are doing great progress, keep going!
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #4 Done!

This weeks homework was a bit easier. But the idea of that is to help you go through last weeks stuff if you didn't go through everything. Or either way maybe even read some more articles, watch some videos and of course attend in the coaching. What will also help for your game is the evaluation part of other members hands and of course posting your own hands.

If you have interests you could try calculating the equity with a formula which you can use even on tables(either playing online or live poker):
      (Amount of outs x 4) – (Amount of outs – 8) = Your Equity

About Question #3:

Board: J:spade: 9:club: 8:heart:
             Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    41.41%  41.41%   0.00% { KsQd }
      UTG+1  58.59%  58.59%   0.00% { 7h7c }

Hopefully this wasn't too easy homework for you.
    • Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze
      My bankroll is floating around the $110 mark, I'm confident enough that I could move up now but I want to practice my discipline and will wait until I have $125 / 25 BI.

Want to move up before months end, going to try and put a couple more hours in to try to make this happen. Got a couple hours before I watch the main event, is it wrong that I'm looking forward to this more than Christmas?

Edit:

Thank you for your continued hard work Veriz, and that is a nifty little formula for equity. :)
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Raknyo
      My bankroll is floating around the $110 mark, I'm confident enough that I could move up now but I want to practice my discipline and will wait until I have $125 / 25 BI.

Want to move up before months end, going to try and put a couple more hours in to try to make this happen. Got a couple hours before I watch the main event, is it wrong that I'm looking forward to this more than Christmas?
      It's fine to move up, though I'd not recommend taking shot at the new limit with all the tables, you can always mix it up. ;) Few new limit tables, other tables are old ones until you get used and proper BR.
    • Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze
      I only play a single table Zoom at the moment, tried to play two Zoom tables this week but I ended up losing so I'm going to just keep it at one until I probably finish the NL Beginner course or unless I'm feeling really confident.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by Raknyo
      I only play a single table Zoom at the moment, tried to play two Zoom tables this week but I ended up losing so I'm going to just keep it at one until I probably finish the NL Beginner course or unless I'm feeling really confident.
      Rather do it until you feel confident for it, don't put pressure on it. ;)