Before the big stack on the bubble?

• noz03
      noz03
      Bronze
      This is a spot I'm never too sure how to play. Btw I play 6 handed deep stack turbos, at micro level on a very fishy site.

Blinds are 400/200,
      2nd place pays 1.5x, 1st place pays 4.5x. 3rd place NOTHING
      I have t2000, big stack has t8000 and other player also has t2000
      positions are as above (im oop against big stack)

How should I play here? I don't wanna be too passive and bleed my chips away, also loose any chance of first place I might have. But I also don't want to get called by the big stack and bubble out with nothing.

Also, how does it affect my play if:
      the other small stack has t4000
      The other small stack is a bad player and too aggressive/passive
  • 4 replies
    • IhasLuck
      IhasLuck
      Bronze
      basically it depends a lot. you shouldn't attack the bigstack a lot unless the guy is really tight. If the bigstack is aggressive he should harass the other shorty quite a lot so you should just be a little patient and play abc. dont shove too much into the bigstack and look for an opportunity to call the shorty(if he's aggressive enough). If the shorty is tight, you might get a walk sometime, so you should just wait. If the bigstack doesn't harrass enough, you will have to make some loose pushes from the button.

if other guy has 4000, it depends more on him. if the midstack is tight and waiting for you to bust, you'll just have to loosen up and try to steal a lot. if the mid guy is aggressive, you have to be more patient because a clash between them greatly increases your equity.
    • noz03
      noz03
      Bronze
      What kind of ranges are we talking here? For example shoving into a semi loose big stack from the sb? Or from the btn? And what range for calling the other shorty?

Other question is... Should I really be so tight when 2nd place only pays 1.5x the buy in? It almost doesn't seem worth it, though still feels like shit to come 3rd.
    • IhasLuck
      IhasLuck
      Bronze
      I'm not familiar with that structure, take the nash range and adjust.
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Hi, Noz03!

I would ask you to give us a few possibilities of how the stack sets are.

Say it goes as this: BTN(you)-2k chips
      SB-2k chips
      BB-8k chips

or BTN-8k chips
      SB-2k
      BB-2k

etc, etc. As a general idea you want to be calling/pushing tighter into the big stack because of how risk averse u are vs him. And push/call looser vs your direct opponent. I assume the pay out is 70:30? That means that your main goal should be to aim for first place, but again- there will be ICM tax that you need to consider.

Nash, SnG Wiz and ICM explorer are great programs that will give you all the info you need in the future when u find yourself in these spots.

Cheers!