Pokerstrategy Chess Champs [Draw Posted]

• bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      Hey,

There's been a bit of talk about chess and luck in one of the threads recently and it got me in the mood for some a game.

If anyone is keen for a battle of the pokerstrategists tournament we could probably set one up.

I don't think I'd win unless luck plays a much bigger part than I think it does but I'd probably put in a couple of bucks to make it interesting

anyone keen?

Originally posted by bradomurder
      Ok well I made a draw with everyone who said they were in on this forum.

I'm gonna put it on chesscube.com because that's where I have an account and so it's easier for me, plus it seems to work fine. Should we say games to be played by the 7th of November? then I can update the draw and sort the semi-finals out.

Put your chesscube name on the spreadsheet in brackets so we can find each other and add each other on there, if you don't put it on there by the 3rd Nov I'll assume you defaulted

Here's a link to the draw, you should be able to edit it fine.

Draw

Any questions, comments, suggestions?
  • 55 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Gold
      sounds interesting :D
      i have no idea whatsoever on what would be a good way to setup it but i would join most likely :f_biggrin:

that said, i also won't rate my chances very highly since i know that there are some real masters around :f_eek:
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Anyone who plays chess over the internet for money is setting themselves up to be scammed.

Not difficult to let a very powerful chess engine make your moves for you.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Gold
      we could play at 0 1 time controls or something :D

i'm not very keen on playing longer games over the internet in any case, but if we get enough of players with an okay reputation around here then why not
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Just do it on Chesscube if you want to do it. If it's 5min games, I'll play.
    • bradomurder
      bradomurder
      Bronze
      Good to see there's some interest, we don't have to put money on it, could just play for pride/fun

Depends on how many people want to play as to how short we need to make the games but I think 5 or 10 minutes would be about right

I was thinking chesscube would be the way to go too, is it possible to set up private tournaments on there?

otherwise we could make a draw up on here, maybe add each other on skype and just play the games 1 at a time
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Multitable chess imo. I know JB will enjot it! :coolface:
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      I don't think I'd enjot it that much. The only extra rule I would suggest is that goldchess, Dublimax and The Last Nail should all be banned from playing, or at the very least, just don't tell them and hope they don't notice.
    • genNNnious
      genNNnious
      Bronze
      you can also play at chess.com or playchess. two of the biggest rooms.
      in playchess if you have a serial number and a rank you can also make a tourneys.

how big is your rating ?
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by genNNnious
      you can also play at chess.com or playchess. two of the biggest rooms.
      in playchess if you have a serial number and a rank you can also make a tourneys.

how big is your rating ?
      About 2000
    • LordPoker
      LordPoker
      Bronze
    • Gavron23
      Gavron23
      Bronze
      +1 I would gladly take part
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jbpatzer
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      I don't think I'd enjot it that much. The only extra rule I would suggest is that goldchess, Dublimax and The Last Nail should all be banned from playing, or at the very least, just don't tell them and hope they don't notice.
      :coolface:
    • ferdy81
      ferdy81
      Bronze
      Hey, I'm also interested in! I guess 5min games would be OK to compensate time with any cheating skills :P

About luck in chess... from my experience, there is really not much luck to talk about in chess, like in poker. If you are much better than your opponent (let's say +300 ELO rating) you'll win 9/10 games. You don't need 10k sample size, to prove that :D
    • Gavron23
      Gavron23
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ferdy81
      Hey, I'm also interested in! I guess 5min games would be OK to compensate time with any cheating skills :P

About luck in chess... from my experience, there is really not much luck to talk about in chess, like in poker. If you are much better than your opponent (let's say +300 ELO rating) you'll win 9/10 games. You don't need 10k sample size, to prove that :D
      There is deffinitely luck element in poker, just differs a lot from what poker players are used to :)
    • Dublimax
      Dublimax
      Bronze
      There is as much luck in chess as there is in soccer i.e if there is a big level difference between 2 players that will be a win 90% of the time.

Luck in chess would involve our opponent blundering, losing on time in winning position hmmm I guess that's pretty much it.
    • FarligeJohn
      FarligeJohn
      Bronze
      Sounds like a cool idea. I'd like to play without money :)
    • jbpatzer
      jbpatzer
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dublimax
      There is as much luck in chess as there is in soccer i.e if there is a big level difference between 2 players that will be a win 90% of the time.

Luck in chess would involve our opponent blundering, losing on time in winning position hmmm I guess that's pretty much it.
      That's because you're good enough to play positional chess. If you're a mad hacker like me, you're bluffing a lot.
    • Lukrecijus
      Lukrecijus
      Bronze
      I'm in! :)
    • Gavron23
      Gavron23
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Dublimax

No that is not all :)
      Of course we are very lucky if our opponent makes a silly blunder, but
      in high level games these occure very rarely.
      As in today's games much depends on your preparation pre game, luck can be considered if you choose one of two seemingly equal variations and your opponent is very well prepared in one of them, and has not spent enough time researching the other.
      Of course no luck would save me that have ~2100 ELO against a GM, I am talking about luck between players of the same level.
      Thats why I said it is not what we poker players are used to(i.e. loosing hands to fishes , bad beats etc.)