ChowChow12's SnG Blog.

• Chowchow12
      Hai guyz! So I had an old blog called Fresh meat to beef jerky, but it was really all over the place, and confusing to read, so I decided to make a new one which is much more focused to what I am doing right now. So, In June I played MSS for a bit, then wanted to be a big boy and switch to BSS, and BSS really didn't go well. I was having solid losses, was half way through the Beginners Course, and then one horrible suck out day I had it, and stopped for 2 months. But the urge to come back and play was overwhelming, so i slowly started looking through, but was still scared of BSS, and fell into SnGs. The concept of push or fold really seemed to click with me, so I read the articals, got the software, did 1k hands in ICM trainer, opened up my first $1 SnG and was instantly hooked.

My name is Josh, I am a student in Geophysics, and I am from Canada! Brrr.. Here is a picture of me:

I should add I am the guy, with my name, a lot of people seem to think I am a girl :P

Now, my Volume is pretty low, and I would like to say I am running pretty good for only 250ish tournaments. Here is my graph thus far:

I think that is what they call an upswing. Obviously the smaller ups and downs were when I was playing $1

Here it is in Buy ins:

Looks a lot less insane.

Right now, since I can't put in all the much volume, I invested in a Personal Coach Tim64, and he has been great to re-affirm when I am doing things right, and quickly correct things I am doing wrong. Definitely +EV, he is really honest, and has a great way of adjusting your line of thought to be on the +EV line.

While I am pretty sure I am staying with SnGs for a while I still do feel the draw to NL BSS, and am going to complete the NL beginners course. I think it is only +EV, and the more edge I have in postflop play means the more likely I am to be ahead in push or fold, and more $$$. The one thing that is killing me about SnGs is the variance. It is very testing to ones will.

One thing I do want to do is make enough profit to buy SnGwizard, and with my recent upswing the $6 look to be in sight, but I know variance is going to pull the rug our from under me on that one. No one stays this lucky.

Current BR $232

Hopefully I can get some more volume in, and learn some more stuff!
      Once I get to a point with SnG's where I can buy SnG wiz, I also want to grind out a second bankroll to play cash games with, but that's later..Now I just need to get some volume though. I am played 3-5 at a time it really depends on the speed, sometimes all I can play are turbos, and I really am not a huge fan of the WPT turbos, since they are so fast. I am playing speeds and normals right now, so I can keep practicing with Postflop play. I have quickly learned that, since I am trying to minimize variance, to avoid the plague.

Well that has already been one big huge all over the place rant. I hope, to those to read it, I didn't give them a huge headache. Most posts to come :D
  • 7 replies
    • Tim64
      Me like. :)

Overall ROI looks to be around 10%. So, when you say "No one stays this lucky," don't overstate it. You have a strong game and a positive ROI anywhere between 5% and 15% is certainly within your capabilities.

But yes, the swings are taxing!

NL Beginners' course is an excellent idea. Postflop confidence will add so much value to your SnG game, whatever you choose to do longterm.

Keep it up.
    • iFortunatus
      Will be following!, I am also just recently playing Micro SNG's at WPT, So will be good to see someone else progress even if I don't myself :f_grin:
    • roopopper
      Will be following ( and trollling of course). :f_biggrin:

Great to see your playing sngs, and having coaching from Tim. Would be great if we can sweat sometime :f_thumbsup:

• Chowchow12
      Couldn't play much today because midterms are coming, and my E&M assignment is a cruel mistress, with midterms being around the corner I must be this man for the next few weeks:

Played a few hands, and since I am writing this at school I can't post them, but with my last few days I had some suspicion I was playing to loose. (I always think that though, I am a nit :P ), but under further review, yes, for the first time I was shoving to loose on the bubble. Fortunately, most hand were folding. (So many tight players on $3, so it may have just been profitable.) Couple hundred hands in ICM trainer should patch it up. I may even just break down and buy SnG wiz. We will see.

Only played maybe 10 tournaments, and down 3BI. Bank roll is now $22x.

Also picked up theory of poker. VERY good read. I wish I would have read this before I touched a poker table. Def +EV.

Well off to learn polarization, and series solutions to ODEs. (Help..)
    • Chowchow12
      Haven't got to play to much, since I have 5 midterms in 4 days next week. Ran like a board, up 1BI or so. I am still making some mistakes post flop. After reading to raise Donk bets, I have learned not to do it against fish. They never fold, and they always have something. (Unless you have something then it's $$$).

Still have that awkward situation where I double Barrel them with top pair or something, then check the river, and they usually bet the river. I unless they are pretty fishy, I usually fold in that spot. I can see a lot of fishy players think I was double barreling them as a bluff.

Done another lesson in beginners course. Pretty useful stuff! I need to re-read the article on having initiative, since I read it so long ago, and I think some of the points they showed are kind of getting a little fuzzy.

Another thing is: I finally fixed the stats on my hud, so I know what the hell I am looking at now. I really helps to know what kind of fish I am dealing with.

If studying goes well today I might play some cash tables so I can get a hand to post for my hw in Beginners Course.

Also something else that I am considering:
      Party, $2.70 Buy-in (20/40 blinds) No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP: 2,000 (50 bb)
      Hero (BB): 2,000 (50 bb)
      SB: 1,960 (49 bb)
      BTN: 1,940 (48.5 bb)
      CO: 2,080 (52 bb)
      UTG: 2,020 (50.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q Q
      UTG calls 40, MP raises to 160, 3 folds, Hero raises to 500, UTG folds, MP raises to 2,000 and is all-in, Hero calls 1,500 and is all-in

Flop: (4,060) 7 K 9 (2 players, 2 are all-in)
      Turn: (4,060) 3 (2 players, 2 are all-in)
      River: (4,060) K (2 players, 2 are all-in)

4,060 pot
      Final Board: 7 K 9 3 K
      MP showed A A and won 4,060 (2,060 net)
      Hero showed Q Q and lost (-2,000 net)

This hand I found interesting, because I knew something was up with this guy, so I was almost considering calling. But I felt like that would have been a pain to play post flop.
      Anyway that is all for now. I am going to go back to studying Rocks, Math, and Physics. :D Have a good one.
    • monster1117
      where in Canada are you studying? Also from Canada and grinding to try and pay for tuition :p Good luck man !
    • Chowchow12
      U of S, went to U of A for two years as well.