[NL2-NL10] Hand Evaluation Coaching - Homework #54 14.10.12

• veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello PokerStrategists,

as some of you may have heard that we have a homework in each of our No-Limit Hand Evaluation Coachings.

Here is the homework for the coaching from October 14th, please note:

• Everybody is invited to share his thoughts here regardless if you joined the last coaching or not.
      • Whoever is active in the homework threads can get a free database analysis by us which helps you to improve your game.

Find the hand below waiting for you opinions and analysis posted in this thread. Furthermore do not forget to join our next coaching on Sunday, October 21st at 1 PM GMT.

Party, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 9 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

UTG+1: $2.15 (107.5 bb)
      MP2: $2.03 (101.5 bb)
      BTN: $1.84 (92 bb)
      Hero (BB): $2.04 (102 bb)
      CO: $2.56 (128 bb)
      MP1: $3.88 (194 bb)
      SB: $2.87 (143.5 bb)
      UTG+2: $0.80 (40 bb)
      MP3: $2.64 (132 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A A
      UTG+1 calls $0.02, 5 folds, BTN calls $0.02, SB completes, Hero raises to $0.16, UTG+1 calls $0.14, BTN folds, SB calls $0.14

Flop: ($0.50) T 9 8 (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.26, UTG+1 calls $0.26, SB folds

Turn: ($1.02) 7 (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG+1 bets $0.44, Hero folds

Results:
      $1.02 pot ($0.05 rake)
      Final Board: T 9 8 7
      UTG+1 mucked and won $0.97 ($0.55 net)
      Hero mucked A A and lost (-$0.42 net)

His stats are :48/3/1.3/0/45/319
      My fold on turn is ok?
  • 6 replies
    • faronel
      faronel
      Bronze
      From the given stats and villain's preflop line, we can say that we are dealing with a calling station. In which case, in theory, the villain is able to call us off with a worse hand on a dangerous board for both, the hero and the villain.
      Of course, the turn is super nasty, but hero still has an overpair and a nut flush draw. I would most likely go for check/call, depending on villain's bet size (to avoid being raised here and since we still would like to see the river card). And seems like the villain is pricing us right in. We could call and if we hit our flush, we could go for a forward value lead out on river. I believe that villain will be having hard time putting even his straight down.
    • AA91EST
      AA91EST
      Gold
      On flop bet bigger because you want protect your hand and it's draw heavy board.
      On Turn i should take check/call line, if villain is giving good odds for us. Check/call line because we still are holding an overpair and nut FD and don't want to be raised.
    • JohnDoe1313
      JohnDoe1313
      Platinum
      Preflop: Raise size seems to much to me, but it's NL2 where people might call it anyway.

Flop: I would bet pot. Board is draw heavy and we are in a multiway pot.

Turn: I would bet half pot. We give ourselves FEQ and better odds to hit a flush on river and our fish buddy might call us with hands like pair + draw, so it could be a value bet. As played c/f is ok because we have no implied odds.
    • jules97
      jules97
      Bronze
      I think preflop raise is fine.

On that horrible flop, I don't think it's out of the question to just check/fold it.

But cbetting isn't bad either, I think I'd bet 80 or 90 percent of pot. He's going to have a heap of trash in his limp/calling range. Betting more will also help define his range better. He will call more of his trashy hands with the smaller bet here.

On the turn I think your equity getting iffy, check/folding is what I prefer given that he is fishy and most likely passive. If he bets he probably has you beat. If he was a better palyer, I'd barrel that club.

I gave him this as a limp/calling range
    • Erevos
      Erevos
      Bronze
      So anyone remembers what did Veriz say about this hand at the previous coaching?
      Sure thing is bigger flop bet.
      I find myself going broke in such situations more often than i should.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      On flop vs those fish bet can be a lot bigger, board is very drawy and they are getting good odds especially if one calls, odds for another become better.

C/f turn is ok. By betting we are not getting that much value anymore, but can be value towning ourselves, so check is ok. And when such passive player bets its easy fold. Even vs agro player would be tough to call on this board.

Edit:

forgot that we are having nut FD but reading first comment it reminded me :) so for nut flush we need the pot to be 0.44*4 = 1.76$ but when he bets it is 1.02+0.44 = 1.46. So we need to win extra 30 cents on average once we hit. I think we can easily win them from such station, because he will not fold flush that easily or maybe is is calling a small bet with straight. But probably we are targetting flushes on the river so we bet around half pot if we hit.