Tampaloeres81

• Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      Hi guys (and girls),

I'm 31 years old and from the Netherlands. I've been playing poker for some 3 years now. Played SSS, MSS, SNG's but had the most success with SSS where I grew my starting BR from $50 to some $2500. Then the poker rooms killed SSS and FTP went down... So waiting to get my BR back :D

Now I want to learn BSS and eventually want to play BSS 6-max.
      I have a very busy job, a wife and two kids, I do sports 3-4 times a week and I play in a band. So........ I will play poker in between.

Greetz,

T.
  • 4 replies
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      Hi,

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)

Since I have a good job, it will be hard to earn more with poker than with working. So mostly I will play poker for fun. The money that I will win with poker will be used for fun stuff. I like to get better at the things I do so that's why I started this course.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      (What are the mistakes you know you are making during your games? Are you playing while you're tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write down as many as you think are affecting you.)

I think that I am better then the other players at the table... Well, in a lot of cases that surely isnt the case.

When I play 4 tables, I achieve the highest winrates, but it will get me bored sometimes. Then I will add tables and start grinding like an idiot. This will result in mostly using stats instead of reads so my edge drops hugely.

Sometimes I just 'know' I'm beat but still call down.

As I've described in my opening post, my scedule is busy. So mostly when I play, I'm not fit and probably even tired. This is obviously not something to fix easily.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is and why does it work.)

Play a strong range of hands and play them aggressively. It works because when you put the vilain under pressure (by aggresive play), it will make his choises more difficult so he will make more mistakes.

Greetz,

T.
    • Tampaloeres81
      Tampaloeres81
      Bronze
      Hi,

Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why?
      (Are there any hands you would play differently? Do you have a problem or question about how a specific hand or hands should be played?)

I wouldn't call20 PP from the blinds. It will be very hard to earn money OOP.

I'd rather raise first in 77-99 from MP+ than to open limp.

I wouldn't raise AK VS an UTG raise. I'd rather call to keep his range wider and play IP. Wouldn't be nice to raise/fold otherwise.

AJ from the SB would be a raise against limpers instead of complete. Better to play with initiative.

I'd rather fold QJo, QTo from the SB instead of complete.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation.
      ( Post your hand in the Hand evaluation forums and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

NL2 FR A5s call min-3bet?

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range?
      5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo. (You can either calculate this yourself or use an equity calculator such as the PokerStrategy.com Equilab.)

Equity     Win     Tie
      MP2    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      MP3    53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Greetz,

T
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

What about tilt? Do you adjust something against it? For example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy being with us here and will enjoy the course. In any case you have questions about anything then feel free to ask it, I will try to respond as soon I read it.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Good job! Homework #2 Done!

Totally agree about calling PPs from the blinds might be not that profitable. Especially if we are talking about low PPs as 22-55 cause clearly they don't do even well postflop. Nor we can't set-mine cause late position stealing range is usually wide enough not being able to pay us once we hit.

Playing PPs can be in long run be very profitable, we could even say that you earn the most money with them (except of course KK/AA strong hands :D ). You can always try out either you play them profitable or not by check the programs either you are doing great on early position with PPs or not and base according to that. Although the problem with playing them, especially from EP if you playing FR is the case that you wont always play them profitable and very low ones I would even advice to fold as 22-55 and raise it up like 66-77+.

I'd rather fold QJo, QTo from the SB instead of complete.

That might be too weak cause you can still earn enough of money with it if you also have decent postflop skill. Especially if you are first in you should definitely raise it and if it's mutliway the hand can still be even used for isolating or of course completing. But if you don't feel safe then it's better for you to fold.

About Question #3:

Equity     Win     Tie
      UTG    46.32%  37.92%   8.41% { AKo }
      UTG+1  53.68%  45.27%   8.41% { 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo }

Hopefully you enjoy the Course so far.