How to untilt??????

• noz03
      noz03
      Bronze
      I'm still quite new, but over the last 300 games I had about 30% roi and was shooting up great :) then the last few days I just cant win at all! Only reason I can think of is I started getting bored, not focusing, I donno... Any suggestions? I tried taking breaks, watching some session reviews, moving down a level, but still every time I play I burn my bankroll a little more :(
  • 17 replies
    • Rihard4a
      Rihard4a
      Gold
      Get some out side of poker activity. Like for example, I workout. So if sometimes I feel that poker isn't good for me today, after I hit the gym things change, especially my mood. Sometimes having to play poker too much tires you out.
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Hi, noz03. It's great that you kicked off so good, but maintaining 30% ROI is impossible nowadays for STTs. 300 games, as you know, is not a sample. There is also another thing connected to it- usually when u run good, u r in better mood for playing, therefore u give the best you can. And when u run bad, u lose your cool, your focus and what happens is that u extend the run bad by poor play. Another very important thing I've noticed for me- know your limits. Find the best solution for you when it comes to number of tables played at a time/hours per month/time of the day you play. Don't chase loses, always thing in mid-long term goals and improve your game daily. I would suggest taking a day off once a week from poker too.
    • noz03
      noz03
      Bronze
      Thx for the advice, I did try doing other stuff.. but when I come back I still suck, took a day off, came back and still suck :( On the site I use and at my limits its almost all fish so I know I'm better than them... just can't seem to win still :( Maybe I will try 2 days off, play a bit of heads up for a while and see how that goes.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Take more bad beats.

Suck it up.

One day you wake up and don't feel them anymore.
    • noz03
      noz03
      Bronze
      But 20 buyins lost in about 40-50 games... a bit much don't you think?
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      I don't play SnGs. But someone already said that 30% ROI isn't sustainable.

I don't think a bad run is anything to worry about. If you keep on grinding it out you'll probably go on much sicker runs than this.
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      People have swings for thousands of games, they drop and gain 20-30 BI on daily basis.

Now that you play the micros, the variance should be smaller because your edge is bigger.
      But 40-50 games is absolutely nothing. Building poker mindset is one of the toughest thing about this game/sport. Most people give up on it, because they don't have the quality and dedication to make it. Don't give up. Ask yourself, so you can improve, take variance hits but don't let them destroy you. The more u climb up, the bigger the hits will be, but the reward also grows.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by kurrkabin

Now that you play the micros, the variance should be smaller because your edge is bigger.
      I do not agree with this statement.

If you get pocket aces all in 10-way on a regular basis your edge is HUGE. But so is your variance.

I agree with the rest though.
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      : ) If your ROI is bigger, say 15-20%, you will experience smaller swings(in terms of dropping BIs) and they will happen less often compared to someone who is very marginal winner.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Originally posted by kurrkabin
      : ) If your ROI is bigger, say 15-20%, you will experience smaller swings(in terms of dropping BIs) and they will happen less often compared to someone who is very marginal winner.
      You will notice the swings less because your winrate is higher. But winrate is not necessarily correlated to variance.

Variance is a function of standard-deviation which I believe to be higher at micro-stakes (multiway pots / calling stations) , and higher at high stakes (the necessity to push minute edges), but lower at small stakes.
    • MrS212i
      MrS212i
      Bronze
      Originally posted by noz03
      But 20 buyins lost in about 40-50 games... a bit much don't you think?
      Lol 20 buyins.. 100 games without cashing then u know u running bad.
      Somtimes no matter how good you play, you just cant win.
    • Lukrecijus
      Lukrecijus
      Bronze
      Dont worry noz, everything will be okey. It happens that sometimes you can't win two, three even four days in a row. But if you keep playing good, in long-term you will get all your lost cash back and even more :)
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Obviously the advice in this thread only applies if you are a good player and not a lucky fish who ran good over 300 games.

Hopefully you are the former.
    • surfwell1818
      surfwell1818
      Bronze
      How to untilt????
      My experience has been that given time you come out of it if you work at it and don't over stew on it.
      A week of negative results really hits your confidence and your effort causing you to think if I had not put in anytime at all I would be better off bankroll wise right!
      A month from now look back and see where you are at.
      If you are using HM2 for example you will see the week of tilt as a dip in the graph that you came out of and worked through (hopefully).
      Don't let it ruin your game.You are obviously going OK so far ,after all for me it's a game.
      I work fulltime ,have a family and other interests.
      It's not my income or only interest.
      If I am playing poker I AM PLAYING TO WIN but some times you simply can't due to the nature of the game at that moment.
      If playing sport was all wins you would probably get bored and not put the effort in, know what I mean.
      If a fish gets it allin bad and sucks out on you go woohoo ther are still donks out there for me to hook next time.
      It's weird how playing poker for 2 hours and winning a few dollars feels great, yet working for 2 hours and earning 10X (depending on your stakes obviously) as much doesn't give you the same BUZZ.
      Us humans are weird.
      Peace
      Simon
    • mattisks
      mattisks
      Bronze
      stop playing (for a while)

and or

get over it by adding volume :f_cool:

what helps me is to play some tournament and side ZOOM. I might lose AK < AQ but I keep shipping.. I didn't give much sheet when AA commited 1/2 my stack, was called by 66 and he hit a set.. Pretty easy to get new hand dealt :s_evil: whilst trying to ship tourney in other window :f_p:
    • noz03
      noz03
      Bronze
      Thx all, I think it's right... the hardest skill in poker is the patience and the mental power to push through these swings. Same thing happened to me on cash games, after running up about 30 buy ins I had about a week of loosing days and just gave up, it was also because I was bored not just because of loosing but still. So then I moved to SNGs, and I can't let that happen this time! Hopefully next month I'll be able to post up a sharkscope like someone said, with a bump in the road :)
    • surfwell1818
      surfwell1818
      Bronze
      :s_thumbsup: