bankrolling

• richard2780
      richard2780
      Bronze
      right, iv done quite well today following the mid stack stratergy winning just $50 from $5 investment, however about 5 mins ago, i slipped up and lost $25 to an all in call,, i had A10 and hadraised on the button with no pre raises to deal with, the SB floded and then i was raised pot raised by the big blind. Now im not sure if it was over confidence or the fact that the Vilian was quite a loose player, but i raised to the value of his chip stack which was called. He showed a KA and the flop and river produced A,A,J,J,6 . I know the raise chart on the mids stack stratergy guide on this site says to fold if you are reraised, but would anyone else of raised so high before the flop on an A10 ?? im pretty gutted really, iv been been playing really tight all day and one little slip has taken half my bankroll. Now id probably make a raise again on a A10 but but my main thought is, if i had stashed my winnings and bought in on another table for the $5 again id only be down $5 on a call like that rather than $25.

If you were playing NL 0.10/0.20 blinds, and had bought in at 40% $4. At what level of profit would you exit the table and move on ?

I seem to play well early but stay to long and suffer later. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • 10 replies
    • fcumred
      fcumred
      Bronze
      Strange how you took notice of the advice about what hands to play, but failed to take note of the bit about bankroll management.

What the hell were you doing playing 20NL with a bankroll of $50
    • yougotfelted51
      yougotfelted51
      Bronze
      i wouldnt play on the site since it is rigged if AT < AK on an AAJJ6 board
    • richard2780
      richard2780
      Bronze
      it was a 10/20 cents blinds not 10/20 $s
    • richard2780
      richard2780
      Bronze
      Originally posted by richard2780
      it was a 10/20 cents blinds not 10/20 $s
      poker 770, do you think ?

what sites would be better to play on ?
    • clandestineAl
      clandestineAl
      Bronze
      Ignore the comments about stuff being rigged. If you are buying in for $5 then I would move tables once you hit $10 or $12.50. Playing deep stacked really changes the way you have to play. This is what I do playing big stack strategy. You don't want to lose 5 stacks on one hand if you get a bad beat. Which this wasn't. I hope you have learned from moving away from the strategy guides. It hurts your bank roll. Good luck.
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Originally posted by clandestineAl
      Ignore the comments about stuff being rigged. If you are buying in for $5 then I would move tables once you hit $10 or $12.50. Playing deep stacked really changes the way you have to play. This is what I do playing big stack strategy. You don't want to lose 5 stacks on one hand if you get a bad beat. Which this wasn't. I hope you have learned from moving away from the strategy guides. It hurts your bank roll. Good luck.
      Actually, the guy was not trolling like "OMG stars is rigged" he brought up the very valid point that on AAJJ6 it should be a split pot of AT vs AK, so if AK wins it is in fact very rigged :f_biggrin:

And by the looks of things he also isn't playing deep-stacked, he was playing short stacked at 0.10/0.20 for 20bb till he worked his way up to a normal stack and then lost it in one hand.

OP, you want to use decent bankroll management in order not to lose big amounts of your bankroll at once. The more BI you have for your limit the less chance you have of going bust due to bad luck and/or bad play.

Generally it is not a good idea to go all in preflop with AT in cash games, unless you have very good reason to believe your opponent will get all the chips in with worse hands, and since the only thing AT dominates is raggy aces yet it is so easily dominated by TT+ and AJ+, therefore there's very few opponents you should be shoving AT against, especially 100bb deep.
    • richard2780
      richard2780
      Bronze
      thanks guys, defo learned my lesson, been a lot tighter since and have got my bankroll back up. So lesson learned and onwards and upwards
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, Richard,
      Have you taken the quiz yet?
      Or thought about playing in a room tracked by PokerStrategy so you can get points?

As you get points, you'll get to Bronze then Silver levels, and there will be a ton of material available to help you climb the limits.

Check out the beginner's poker school in my sig, too.
      It is a well-organized way to work your way through the material.

Good Luck
      --VS
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Originally posted by richard2780
      thanks guys, defo learned my lesson, been a lot tighter since and have got my bankroll back up. So lesson learned and onwards and upwards
      Richard, are you sure it was AAJJ6? Because seriously your AT should have tied with AK if this was the board. May be a glitch if you play in a smaller site, might be worth emailing them. More likely you didn't remember the board correctly but still...

Also +1 to Vorpal's suggestion of the Beginner Course, it is very good, and Veriz is very helpful whenever you have any questions about it.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey Richard :)

In a way it's good that you have learnt the lesson now some people lose 10 or 100 times that amount of money before they learn the lesson about bankroll management. It took me a good 6 monhs to a year before i learnt my lesson.

Of course as has already been said i can not recommend the beginners course enough, it really is a fantastic place to start and will give you a great head start on your opponents at the lower stakes.

Good luck sir and hope to see you crushing soon
      Carl