ZOOM POkerStars

• pokerboy198229
      pokerboy198229
      Bronze
      Hello guys,

I would like to try something out using the Zoom poker of pokerstars. I''d like to know what you all think about that..

I will try to grind out from 0.01/0.02 blinds to 3/6 blinds during 1-3 days. So I will play the Zoom cash game like as a step tournament using only one
      buy-in every time ($2). So im risking with $2 to win $1200. I think its worth to try. Why only to 3/6 blinds? Because thats the highest blinds I have ever played. I have no knowledge and I m not experienced with the strategy of playing beyond 3/6 blinds.

I do understand going up in stakes means I have to adapt my playing style.
      So I made a research in playing styles of 2NL/5NL/10NL/25NL/50NL/100NL/200NL/400NL/600NL watching online cash games recording on youtube, forums and etc..

So my strategy to 2NL/5NL/10NL is: making great value-overbets/making good folds.
      Well i expect to see more unexperienced players on this blind, who cannot find a fold button when the hit a pair. Knowing that:
      I will no playing my draws on the flop agressive (doesnt make any sense, they do not fold anyway)
      I will not try to make a lot of hero calls.
      But I will value bet them till the river unless the show some strenght to raise me. Then I must have min top 2 pair to continue, unless i have a history knowledge with that player.

I would like to record my sessions. Are you interested enough to see them and support me with some advise?
  • 20 replies
    • ProlinePoker
      ProlinePoker
      Bronze
      Using a step-like system for a high-variance game like zoom, where you get coolered often when you hold the 2nd nuts it's something that probably won't work. I'm not even sure it would work in regular tables, but in zoom I think you'll just be moving up/down endlessly and you'll probably bust your bankroll if you have any tilt issues.

If you want a more aggressive approach you could do something like 15BI move up, 10BI move down (or 10BI move up, 8BI move down, whatever you like) but, in order to practice this aggressive BRM you need to focus on your game and forget about bad beats, coolers, etc...

Before BF hit I managed to turn $50 into $300 in less than a month using this 10BI-8BI aggressive BRM strategy, but more aggressive than that it's very hard to do, specially on 6max
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      An interesting idea, lets just hope variance is on your side :D

I'll also move your thread to the Blog section as it would be more suited there so people can follow your progress as you update us! :]
    • pokerboy198229
      pokerboy198229
      Bronze
      Ok, thank u for you reaction.

I will try it tonight and i will give u the link for made video's.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      well if u are playing anywhere between 1-5 buyins you are almost certainly going to fail. you probably have a higher shot at this by playing an MTT
    • TetraQuark
      TetraQuark
      Bronze
      What mbml said, even w 10-15BI on zoom you stand very little chance, esp w/o a rocksolid mindset. But nontheless good luck and report!
    • pokerboy198229
      pokerboy198229
      Bronze
      My first session blinds 0.02/0.05

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEJ1tKkk7r8&feature=youtu.be
    • pokerboy198229
      pokerboy198229
      Bronze
      and my second session. No more today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9mbCEfr99k&feature=youtu.be
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Interesting concept. Like climbing without a rope. watched both vids, not bad. You can only lose $5 each time if that is where you start. So if you try this 100 times, you only need to get through once for profit of $700.

Love to see it happen.
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Just for those who posted earlier in the thread, from what I watched, there is no rebuy to max set for the tables. 1BI. When that has increased to next level BI, sit out and play next level with 1BI. If bust, start from scratch. Rinse and repeat.

So far so good. He is now rolled for NL25, so be interested to see what happens there.
    • pokerboy198229
      pokerboy198229
      Bronze
      Thank you for support. Thats exactly my idea.

And here my next videos. I stopped by second one because i was a little bit tired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJQTwilplaU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F6epNy-oBg

Let me know what do you think
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Well, the first video cuts out in the middle of an AKs hand, where you are oop on the turn. Don't know what happens, but I would check/fold there.

Start of the second video, you are down to half stack, so I guess you didn't. lol. Also, first hand in the second video you seem to have 3b/squ in the BB with a suited Ace. Wrong style I think for what you are trying to achieve.

I've thought about what style should be best, and at NL5 and NL10 you seemed to play very tight, and quite passive, in that you didn't engage postflop unless you had hit, and then you were appropriately aggressive. For the purpose of this challenge, I think that would be correct at all levels. You are not trying to outplay people here, not be the best player at the table, or win any pissing competitions. Just double the starting stack, and move on.

I have also had the idea that instead of playing the stack down to busto, once you have dropped to the level of the lower buy in, which you currently have, instead of keeping on playing, drop back to the lower level again. That means now you would be back down to NL10. At least that way you are playing full stacked. When the regs see you with less than full stack, and not auto rebuying, you will be labelled fish, and get no respect, they will be trying harder to take your money.

So it seems tight, even ultra tight, could be very right here. It will be boring, possibly quite tedious, but ultimately more likely to succeed.
    • mattisks
      mattisks
      Bronze
      I've tried this idea of 1 way BR management and going up limits.. It was much easier than I thought. The hard part was to make it alive from NL2 where I started but once I moved to NL5 it was easy from there. I doubled in very few hands with KK or QQ and again on NL10 with very lucky hand JJ vs KK on flop 89x with getting me running T&7 :)

When you think about it that's how many pro's rolled anyway. Running tiny BRs quickly jumping limits & then ofc going busto and again :)

If you really know that you're there with $ 2 and not $ 20 its really easy to play your A game.

thanks for posting it :f_cool:
    • pokerboy198229
      pokerboy198229
      Bronze
      Best aciddrop,

Thanks for you reaction and tips. I just realised that youtube cut my video's to half. I think because off my long recording time. So ehat happenned there:

AK hand was check-check till the river and we split the pot.

I was down to half because of the top set. This waht happenned:
      One guy with a $28 limps UTG. I raise to $1.25 from MP with QQ. The player after with $13.79 reraises to $3,79. Well the limper calls and now Im calling because i think i have a losing hand to 4better but i can win big from the limper. So im calling for set value.
      I flop the top set. Check-raised all-in the 4better. And he hit a set of K on the turn. Thats what happenend. What do you think: i played bad or was just unlucky?

You re wright about the suited Ace. Maybe i was little bit steaming. And i think you re right about droping down to lower level when i bust my stack to half. Not because the regs would think im a fish (let them think so, they will make mistake). But just for playing confomtable with 100bb. So i will floow you advise, aciddrop

Thanks for you reaction.
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      I reckon if you put the 3bettor on a strong range, it could be a fold, given his stack size. The fish coming along makes it seem so desirable to call, but you will almost never get his money. Can't say I would fold it though, seems a hard spot, but the disciplined play is to fold. Just unlucky result.

You have inspired me to attempt pretty much the same thing, though I won't be going as high as you. More just an experiment.

I have played some 2NL to start, and lost 3BI before I made a success at the fourth attempt. There I built the stack to $6.62, so sat out and bought in to NL5. Didn't go broke there, eventually managed, after 475 hands, to build that to $10.38.

That means that I have $1.62 surplus from NL2, and $0.38 surplus from NL5. It is a very strange thing to be doing. Over the 475 hands, the stats tell me I am playing only 8% of hands, which is nitty past belief, but really the way for me to handle this. Tedious, but disciplined.

I will next buy in to NL10, obviously attempting to make $25 for the next level.

I have thought more about the stop/loss plan I want to put in place, and have tweaked my earlier idea. I find it difficult to play with less than a full stack, which is why I suggested dropping down. My new plan is to drop down if the stack at the current level reaches 75BB. That means for my NL10 attempt, if I drop to $7.50, or less, I will sit out and go back to NL5 with a full stack. That way, the excess 25BB, in this case $2.50, joins the surplus. Neat, huh?

Theoretically, I could work my way back to NL2 after loosing consecutively, and still have profit.

If, god forbid, I do return to NL2, I would envisage playing there with a full stack. Losing 25BB would entitle me to top up to 100BB from the surplus acquired along the way.

Tell me what you think about that.
    • mattisks
      mattisks
      Bronze
      tried it couple of times again and run my buck into about $7+ went to NL5 and waited for nice spot and really crushed KK vs AQ making $ 12+ which was all post flop :) On NL10 I was really tired and crushing for a bit though.

Then I crushed myself in a typical spot of mine. Really undisciplined. I paid flush with rivered trips. AK board AflushA I can really sense what is happening on turn as he hits his flush, but can't discipline myself into fold once he reraises me. I call then the river comes.. I've managed to discipline myself in similar spot on NL2 but at the time I got to N10 and am too tired, I can't..

Overall this journey covered my previous losses. I was trying first to run $2 bucks but then went more conservative.

I have nothing against stars anymore (even though their coolers periods can be disheartening) but I absolutely love ZOOM as u can really train the spots in the hands that you want to play.

Once again Thank you for posting this.. This journey despite losing pot of $8 made me about $6 so its all b'seder.

My next goal is NL25 obv :)

:s_evil:
    • aciddrop
      aciddrop
      Bronze
      Yes, I understand the feeling of self loathing that comes when I call knowing already that I am beaten. It is like the taste of defeat.

That is the next step, being able to fold and move on, without ever being able to be sure that it is the right thing, just trusting and accepting. The taste of victory.
    • mattisks
      mattisks
      Bronze
      when am beat am beat what can I do..

But this like I gotta strong hand, let's go. Whilst I can't get in those milliseconds that am drawing dead. LOL.

Those are the situations I have to learn to avoid :s_biggrin:
    • pokerboy198229
      pokerboy198229
      Bronze
      Best accid and matt,

Srry for my late reply. I still leaving from my dayjob and not yet from poker :)

Well, the tilt issues are similar. I found the way to minimise them.
      Fisttifull im ready to lose when i start to play. I really just dont care. I just try to be a better poker player. So i concetrate on making good decisions. So when i notice im tired and im not able to make any good decisions, i just give up. Maybe for just 2 hours, or just for 1-2 days. Only because i trust myself i will come back and earn everything back when I will be in the Zone again. AND THIS IS AN IMPORTANT THING: HAVING TRUST IN YOUR GAME, BELIEVING YOU RE DOING GREAT. That will minimise your tilt issues: you are sure you will come back with your good game strategy.

Before u play 25NL i would like recommend u to read the strategy what are good for 25NL/50NL and then u can analyse if your game strategy is related to the article.

2Nl - 5NL - 10NL I have the folowing strategy: playing more hands
      pre-flop style loose-agressive/Calling station (suited, onsuited conncetors)
      flop: tight agressive
      turn/river: tight (agressive)
      minimum bluffs: not trying to outplay them
      no pay-off style: no herco calls/folding unless I have minimum top 2 pair

25NL-50NL. My overall strategy is tight agressive: pre-flop/flop/turn/river
      Fancy play: check rasie the river (big), might work u have to hit a nice card on the river to represent.
      Hero calls are welkom against agressive opponents

All of this are published on:
      http://www.onlinepokerlocator.com/strategy-articles/poker-game-play-strategy/advanced-microstakes-25nl-50nl

Just read it. Very usefull.
    • mattisks
      mattisks
      Bronze
      I will try to stick to my play and improve it. It's loose aggressive enough atm. LOL. Its best suitable for SNGs & MTTs I think. Its almost impossible to blow someone off the pot in ZOOM. Its much easier to go broke with good made hands. TPTK is not as welcome. :)

I am facing all day different issue. I am being too aggressive. Can't step my leg off the gas. Its prehaps this heater I got from final tabling HORSE and busting out 6th. I really try too hard to win that I am like on 7th place 3 times all in with chipleader until I busted him :D But then again couple of coolers and there was not much time just for one two hands and the game is done :s_biggrin:

Strange is I am winning comfortably on Carbon. Tourney's, SNGs, Cash.. On stars am getting cooler after cooler after cooler. I am not sure whether to pick AA > KK or KK > AA there.. That makes me to approach stars just like a training site and spew max $ 2 bucks a day.

I've noticed that many players from NL2 are on NL10 as well. For this strategy only difficulty is to make it past NL2..

anyways. See ya later and good luck at the tables! :)