• riverbender

I am happy to be here! I wish I'd had this kind of quality structured education back when I played online around 2005-'07. I worked my way up to NL25/50 and became delusional enough to think I could play for a living. After having consumed much of the basic info here, I now see just how BAD I play! :f_eek:

I live in the US. After UIGEA when we started arresting people, I decided playing online was probably -EV. So, I got a real job and haven't played online since then. I actually just started back a few days ago. I have maybe 500 hands played so far. All of them badly! :f_cry:

Now that I have a real job, I'm finding I need something "fun" to do. I love my work (usually) but honestly, I love poker more.

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)

Right now it's simply to have fun. I am self employed, so all I do really is work and sleep. I need something else in my life!! I'm here to improve my game. I have fun learning and getting better at all things, not just poker.

And of course win. I like winning. That said, I don't expect to be able to withdraw my initial BR deposit or any winnings I might make. If I can, great. If not, I'm OK with that too.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are making during your games? Are you playing while you're tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write down as many as you think are affecting you.)

Oh boy. I could write a book here. I think my biggest weakness is that I lose focus at the table. I may go into a hand with a plan but then either the flop or the other players don't cooperate and then I'm just flailing around, either maybe betting/raising when I probably should fold. Or fold when I should play. Who knows!!?? I don't even know what's going on with me really. I guess it's that my plan stinks to begin with!

Also in terms of focus, for instance I had a recent hand where I totally messed up - but had I been focused on the action I would have at least considered saving myself a stack. I was in IP with AA. A bit LAG over 20ish hands UTG limp/calls my raise. Then comes the flop, Kxx. I get check raised and call. Turn was a blank and somehow I end up all in against KK.

I'm not afraid to fold AA. I've done it many times. However, in this particular instance somehow, even though I called the flop c/r, I didn't consider it when I made the turn call. I put him on a pair of kings and didn't adjust. My focus became only how to get his stack. I don't even know, I may have played that hand right in terms of the math(?), but still I totally disregarded villain's flop c/r. I didn't even CONSIDER he could have l/c KK PF or maybe had two pair. A set of xx? LOL the more I think about it the more I see just how braindead I was! I was acting as if he only had one hole card. duh! :f_biggrin:

Another major weakness (I think) is that I've never been able to do math while playing. EV, odds, all hard for me to incorporate at the table.

Despite sometimes losing focus at times, there are other times where I tend to WAY over think things. I often say I can think myself into a stupor - in all areas of life. Poker is no different. So, I guess I need to find some balance!

Lastly, I have this thing, where if I'm down, like after the aforementioned hand, I'll play for however long it takes to make back what I lost. This led me to playing until 2AM when I should have been sleeping!! And no, I didn't make it all back. So stupid!

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is and why does it work.)

To me tight aggressive means I should play limited range of stronger hands and try to control the action by betting/raising rather than check/calling. Basically, big pots for big hands, small pots for small hands. Taking the lead in betting also can get your opponent to fold hands that may be ahead of you or that can improve to beat you (tho less so at the micros! :D ).
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

So how is the stuff in the US now? You are able to play? Cause as I understood there are provinces which already accepting online poker.

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Another option against tilt is to set yourself shorter sessions which might avoid you from tilting. If you playing longer sessions then it's more likely that during that session you can get upset. So work on your game and try to find out what makes you tilt and try to fight against it.

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy being with us here and will enjoy the course. In any case you have questions about anything then feel free to ask it, I will try to respond as soon I read it.