Game of luck or skill?

• SherlockHolmes2ez
      SherlockHolmes2ez
      Bronze
      Everybody around in my city was saying that poker is a game of luck, I always dissagree it I was saying, it's skill based what are you talking about?!
      But today in pokerstars I learned what is poker, Did My best always put the money in good, and guess what I lost all my bankroll? lost 6 times on river cards just 4 outer or 2 outer I was losing again and again got AA lost versus 52, it was incredible day, river was like hell my opponent never misses to win the last card. So tell me now where is the skill on this? Or just shitty pokerstars is like that?
  • 21 replies
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Everyone has a bad days, it's called variance, just because you have AA doesn't mean you are going win every hand.

AA vs. 5,2s will lose 18.3% of the time and you just fell into that 18.3%.. Also, if you lost "all your bankroll" then you are not practicing any realistic form of bankroll management, I suggest you start because it's pretty much the only way to survive days like this.
    • SherlockHolmes2ez
      SherlockHolmes2ez
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MrMardyBum
      Everyone has a bad days, it's called variance, just because you have AA doesn't mean you are going win every hand.

AA vs. 5,2s will lose 18.3% of the time and you just fell into that 18.3%.. Also, if you lost "all your bankroll" then you are not practicing any realistic form of bankroll management, I suggest you start because it's pretty much the only way to survive days like this.
      I use bankroll managment, relax I know implied odds and percentages, just it's impossible to not lose if ur best hand always get crush on the river.
    • zobupasts
      zobupasts
      Bronze
      You MUST use proper bankroll management! If you lost your entire bankroll than sorry but you are the only one to blame.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      game of luck
    • vmarqui
      vmarqui
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tomaloc
      game of luck
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tomaloc
      game of luck
      Yep, this is correct!
      Everyone pack your bags, poker is only based on luck, nothing to do here.
    • PokerPPP
      PokerPPP
      Bronze
      What was your bankroll & what limits are you playing? I have lost my bankrolls several times but only due to lack of bankroll management.
    • fuzzyfish
      fuzzyfish
      Bronze
      OP you remind me of another user who was recently active in this forum, reposting the same topics again and again. Cant remember the name, but he was damn irritating. Like you.
    • Nardiss
      Nardiss
      Gold
      I like such threads so much..
    • Schnitzelfisch
      Schnitzelfisch
      Bronze
      Q: Game of luck or skill?
      A: Both.
    • EnterG
      EnterG
      Bronze
    • Erevos
      Erevos
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Schnitzelfisch
      Yeah, it 's the skill of managing the luck.
      And with 20+ buy ins, you must go on a frenzy tilt of Hell in order to lose it all.
      Just take a break and calm. Money and poker are not even close to other great things in life which can make us happy.
    • TiciBoy
      TiciBoy
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SherlockHolmes2ez
      Originally posted by MrMardyBum

I use bankroll managment, relax I know implied odds and percentages, just it's impossible to not lose if ur best hand always get crush on the river.
      It's one thing to use good bankroll managment which helps you not to blow your bankroll or in your case to use bad bankroll managment and lose all your bankroll.

And for your question...

Originally posted by Schnitzelfisch
    • Riverdiver
      Riverdiver
      Bronze
      There should just be a sticky thread for all the whiners to discuss this.....
    • Tarhonya
      Tarhonya
      Bronze
      Easy, both.

But, the better you are at it, the more skill based it is and vice versa.
    • ShaQQ
      ShaQQ
      Bronze
      Like any game there are elements of luck and skill, focus on what you can control and skill heavily outweighs the luck factor.
      Problem with most players is they might have good fortune to start with but end up slightly down or a big chunk and don't pursue it further to appreciate how much skill is involved, but carry on with the opinion that poker is purely luck based.
      Poker really puts strain on all aspects of psychology and strategy, it's a constant strain which is why the majority of players end up giving it a miss or give up prematurely, the rewards for sticking it out are really satisfying though, not just the financial aspect.
    • Tim64
      Tim64
      Black
      Originally posted by Tarhonya
      Easy, both.

:s_thumbsup:
    • gp00053
      gp00053
      Bronze
      Lets not leave out "online poker is rigged"

Seriously it's not enough to know about bankroll management, you have to practice it faithfully every session. when you develope that skill you will find your luck will change
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Originally posted by Tim64
      Originally posted by Tarhonya
      Easy, both.

:s_thumbsup:
      I second Tim :)