Choose your game

• bumtzibumtzi
      bumtzibumtzi
      Bronze
      Heyya all!! I have an important question : "Is there a way to determine the game that fits you best?"

I play poker for 3 and a half years & real poker for one year..played almost every holdem game(SNG,MTT and little cg) with decent results.I consider MTTs my best game.

This year i've started learning more and more about this game and i'm very pleased of the knowledge and the discipline i got. But the more i learn , the less results i get and the badbeats seem to stay close to me. I'm becoming sort of negative.

Now i'm determined to do something since FT is getting back.

Is there a way to determine what game fits me, or someone that can take a
      few minutes to talk?Seen other people that played CG(for example) and they got on a table with a good grinder that told them they are not made for that type of game.

Thank you!!!
      Mr B
  • 6 replies
    • Spungeh
      Spungeh
      Bronze
      Originally posted by bumtzibumtzi

I play poker for 3 and a half years & real poker for one year..played almost every holdem game(SNG,MTT and little cg) with decent results.I consider MTTs my best game.

This year i've started learning more and more about this game and i'm very pleased of the knowledge and the discipline i got. But the more i learn , the less results i get and the badbeats seem to stay close to me. I'm becoming sort of negative.

Play MTTs, Results don't mean shit, if you are playing 200-300 games a day, and losing over a year, then change your tactics..

Otherwise, Grind. ITs MTTs, you're not meant to ship them all.
    • bumtzibumtzi
      bumtzibumtzi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Spungeh

Play MTTs, Results don't mean shit, if you are playing 200-300 games a day, and losing over a year, then change your tactics..

Otherwise, Grind. ITs MTTs, you're not meant to ship them all.
      Thanks Spungeh for the sugestion.
      Didn't have the bankroll to play 300 games/day ,maybe 3-400 games/month. Tryed some different approaches, but i can't afford to keep playing and tryng different styles. It's all about the $$$ in the end.
    • ains21
      ains21
      Bronze
      This thread comes up time and time again, and the answer is always the same: play the game you enjoy most. Even if you believe that your ICM knowledge is so top-notch that your SNG game > your CG, not enjoying the former will lead to playing in an automated and static fashion, while enjoying the latter will encourage you to develop and actively think through every action.

So just play whatever you want: motivation is what is going to get you somewhere, and being motivated is a lot easier when you actually enjoy it.
    • bumtzibumtzi
      bumtzibumtzi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ains21
      This thread comes up time and time again, and the answer is always the same: play the game you enjoy most. Even if you believe that your ICM knowledge is so top-notch that your SNG game > your CG, not enjoying the former will lead to playing in an automated and static fashion, while enjoying the latter will encourage you to develop and actively think through every action.

So just play whatever you want: motivation is what is going to get you somewhere, and being motivated is a lot easier when you actually enjoy it.
      Thanks for the advice sir. The thing is that i like poker in general. I know they are played differently. The reason that i'm not playing cg is because i used to consider that it takes to much time to get from microlimits to a decent limit.
      Looking back at my results maybe it would have been a better spent time.

I opened this thread out of curiosity and to find other people oppinios over this game.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      The reason that i'm not playing cg is because i used to consider that it takes to much time to get from microlimits to a decent limit.

I like cash games because I can quit the session whenever I need. And also in MTTs there is not as much post flop game as in cash games. I like MTTs but I need more time, which I don't have. But SNG really is boring - not much postgflop play and push fold I think players can learn more easily. Also there is situations when in cahs game also there is not much room to play postflop when play vs short stacks. So there is wider range of options I think in cash game.

MTT I would play if I woul have enought time to not care too much about money I guess, I mean if I would be independent on money. I cannot dedicate like 7 or more hours on workdays for session, so I could only play MTTs on weekends and still there are other things which disturrb.
    • bumtzibumtzi
      bumtzibumtzi
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SPeedFANat1c
      The reason that i'm not playing cg is because i used to consider that it takes to much time to get from microlimits to a decent limit.

I like cash games because I can quit the session whenever I need. And also in MTTs there is not as much post flop game as in cash games. I like MTTs but I need more time, which I don't have. But SNG really is boring - not much postgflop play and push fold I think players can learn more easily. Also there is situations when in cahs game also there is not much room to play postflop when play vs short stacks. So there is wider range of options I think in cash game.

MTT I would play if I woul have enought time to not care too much about money I guess, I mean if I would be independent on money. I cannot dedicate like 7 or more hours on workdays for session, so I could only play MTTs on weekends and still there are other things which disturrb.
      good point SPeedFANat1c..this makes sense, especialy with this hard year in collage..think i'll try cash games(let's hope i'm made for them :s_biggrin: ) and some mtt's when i have time..gl all