Bad bb per 100 in BB

• Blade90
      Blade90
      Bronze
      Ok, so I have played about 40k hands on 24h poker on nl10. I have looked trough my positional bb per 100 and things look pretty much fine, other then in the big blind. I am so far losing 64 bb per 100 hands in big blind. This is atrocious and I need to stop this leak. Give me tips, ranges, what to 3bet, what to call against what type of opponents. I am also looking for videos on this, as 24h is super late with strategy points and I cant rly watch anything on pokerstrategy. Thanks for any tips guys. i realize that my sample is pretty small but still I feel like it cant be just variance, so I wann improve in this area ASAP. Thanks a bunch :)
  • 9 replies
    • dyeti
      dyeti
      Bronze
      In my experience losing 64bb per 100 in the bb isn't too bad, remember that if you just didn't play a hand you would be losing 100bb per 100 hands. You should however be able to get the number under -50 with some solid aggressive play. Try using the leakbuster free trial, this should tell you what you are doing wrong in this position. (I would guess you are playing slightly too many hands and not three betting the lose openers in the cut off or on the button). Hope this helps.
    • JCSeerup
      JCSeerup
      Bronze
      I had the same problem (as well as small blind), and the best advice I can give is simply raise more call less. You should very rarely call from the BB, I know it's tempting since we already have payed 1 bb, but we are going to play OOP without the initiative.

So the way you should defend your BB is by raising not calling since most of the time calling will just lead to bigger loses in the long run.
    • ains21
      ains21
      Bronze
      I don't agree with this post. You need a solid calling range from the BB, esp. when facing wide opening ranges from BU/CO. If 3bing is your only defense, you'll quickly begin to lose money vs. decent regs who start 4b bluffing lighter and/or calling in position with wider ranges. Just think about the opponent you're facing and introduce some different lines into your BBvsCO/BU play (donking/check-raising etc.). I know one of my biggest leaks early on was having a very narrow flatting range and 3b/folding too often (or 3b then bet/folding bad flops).
    • GraemeDR
      GraemeDR
      Bronze
      In addition to what has been said above I'd also ask do you lose many of your BB hands post flop in unraised pots? If so don't play unraised pots from the BB, if everyone folds and small blind limps raise them with any two. They fold often enough for this to be profitable in my experience. Same applies to cut-off and button. If they limp you raise. Any earlier position limpers I'm more cautious but don't let late position chancres see flops with speculative hands on your big blind, otherwise you won't know where you are in a hand and may lose pots that way.
    • Finya00
      Finya00
      Bronze
      Originally posted by dyeti
      In my experience losing 64bb per 100 in the bb isn't too bad, remember that if you just didn't play a hand you would be losing 100bb per 100 hands. You should however be able to get the number under -50 with some solid aggressive play. Try using the leakbuster free trial, this should tell you what you are doing wrong in this position. (I would guess you are playing slightly too many hands and not three betting the lose openers in the cut off or on the button). Hope this helps.

I don't think that if you just fold every hand u will be loosing 100bb per 100 hands. If you play 6max most of the time you pay BB and then play 6 hands. So if you fold every hand you are loosing in BB ~17bb per 100 hands. In fullring you are loosing 10bb per 100 hands in BB.

Please correct me If I'm not right...
    • GraemeDR
      GraemeDR
      Bronze
      The original poster is saying that his bb/100 IN THE BIG BLIND POSITION is low, so if you fold while in the big blind every time you're in the big blind, then you will lose 100 bb out of 100 WHEN IN THE BB POSITION as you will have given up 1 bb every time.

Does this make sense? The capitals are to draw your attention to the bit i think you've missed/misunderstood, not to be rude or aggressive.

Thanks
    • loooooolz
      loooooolz
      Basic
      SO, what your are saying is that, you don't let your opponents in the SB, CO and BU steal the Blinds? either way, you protect it? hmmm.. :) How do i read the players' hand with the basis of his or her bet? can you give me some tips? im having hard time champ tourneys :( but i sometimes grab it with good run from the early phase, thanks for the future advice, :) and btw, I always get tempted in all in things like AQ AJ :( or pocket pairs in the early phase and usually in AK, how do I counteract that temptation?? THANKS A LOT :)
    • dannyf85
      dannyf85
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Finya00
      Originally posted by dyeti

I don't think that if you just fold every hand u will be loosing 100bb per 100 hands. If you play 6max most of the time you pay BB and then play 6 hands. So if you fold every hand you are loosing in BB ~17bb per 100 hands. In fullring you are loosing 10bb per 100 hands in BB.

Please correct me If I'm not right...
      If you are dealt 100 hands in the big blind and fold every time you loose 100bb per 100 hands you don't count the other positions

Edit: Allready answered
    • ColorFlusher
      ColorFlusher
      Bronze
      You are actually given a walk quite often. In my database 982/7489 of the times I've been on the BB in SH games. So -100 per 100 hands is also wrong.