enemaze

• enemaze
      enemaze
      Bronze
      Hello everyone,

I've been playing poker on and off (mostly off :) ) for roughly 3 years, playing several variants. I've decided to play NL since its probably the variant i think is the most interesting and requires a lot of thought. So taking the course seemed like a good way to start over.

As for the assignment:

Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      • I love playing poker.
      • I see poker as a challenge. I have several hobbies, but none of them require constant improvement and evaluation. poker really allows me to see if i can master the game on my own. It helps me see if i can teach myself something from scratch and be successful with it.
      • I'm bored. I don't really have too much free time, but when i do i want to fill it with something productive.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      • I have a hard time evaluating if im beat when i have a relatively strong hand (TP and overpairs mostly). Sometimes i tend not to let go of those types of hands even when i should, and i give villains too little credit, especially the fish.
      • I tend to play a bit too intuitively. Sometimes i dont think about what im doing thoroughly enough.
      • This doesnt relate directly to the game, but its hard for me to keep playing the game intensively due to many reasons. I cant positively say that in a month from now ill still be playing regularly, or with the same enthusiasm i have now.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

Playing hands that give you a statistical edge against villains' range. Also being active - putting your opponents to the test, toput your statistical edge to good use. If you're likely ahead or you can make villains think that you are - bet! The pot wont grow by itself :)
  • 1 reply
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Welcome to the Course and Best of Luck. Good job! Homework #1 Done!

Most of the weakness you wrote can easily be fixed by posting hands (analyzing your session). We will start writing feedback to your play. Usually negative feedback will put you into thinking phase and trying to fix all those leaks. It's almost the same as you lose money, you will remember it more than winning part. By this situation it's gonna be that negative feedback you gonna remember and try to avoid them next time.

What about tilt? Do you adjust something against it? For example:
      Easiest way to fight against tilt is to set up stop-loss technique. Which means if you for example have lost more than 3BIs for a session then you just stop the session for some time. The BI amount is set up from your own results. Some may put it higher, some lower. Also after the stop you can spend some time with evaluation part to become better.

Seems that you also having some problems with productivity, have you tried to visit our Sunday's coaching about productivity or watched the videos about it?

Tight style is usually called playing selected hands. Like following the Starting Hand Chart. Aggressive should be also pretty clear that already the word says how you should be playing. But the problem playing aggressively is that you have to watch that you don't play too aggressive. Find good spots, find good targets. About The tight-aggressive strategy you can read in this article: "What is the Big Stack Strategy?"

Hopefully you will enjoy being with us here and will enjoy the course. In any case you have questions about anything then feel free to ask it, I will try to respond as soon I read it.