The Chronicles Of Mint Jelly: A Chip, A Chair And A Mission

• mintjelly
      mintjelly
      Bronze
      Hello All,

My story is similar to many here; after watching poker on TV and playing in home games I started playing about two years ago and have been playing off and on since.
      I have read many books watched tons of videos and played thousands of hands mostly SNG’s and MTT’s on Stars and Fulltilt. I turned $400 into about $4700 but cased it out due to rl.

But now I want to tackle cash games and I’m glad I stumbled upon PokerStrategy and SSS, ‘cause now I can do it for free.

I’ve decided to create this blog to keep track of my progress, get some constructive criticism and plug leaks

Before I started I made sure that I read all of the articles and watched all the videos available to me at the bronze level and mind mapped the info.

I started playing SSS at Mansion and went from NL10 to NL20 in about 11 days my stats at NL10 (5 tabling) are:
      264 Sessions 6626 Hands 5.9 BB/100 Hands Bankroll of $128.05
      [Please suggest other stats that are relevant for dissecting play]

I’ll do my best to update this regularly, and any feedback is welcome.

Call me Mint Jelly, 'cause I'm on the lam! -- Abe Simpson
  • 25 replies
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hello mintjelly,

I am always happy to see new members approaching the game with the correct attitude :) Good to see you've read up on the material and watched the videos. I can only encourage you to also post in the SSS Sample hands forum - which is a great place to find leaks.

As for stats - your VPIP / PFR / Fold SB/BB to steal and various other game play related stats would be very good for helping us analyse your game. If you aren't already using a program such as PT - I recommend downloading and using the Elephant: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/software/9/

Best regards and good luck at the tables!
      SoyCD
    • mintjelly
      mintjelly
      Bronze
      Hey SoyCD,

Thanks for the reply. I plan on posting some hands soon. As for stats I use Poker Office and here are my complete stats at NL10:[img][IMG]https://img238.imageshack.us/img238/9360/statskk1.th.png[/IMG][/img]

I'm not really sure what to look for or strive for in regards to the stats so any insight would be appreciated.

I can say that when I play I lean more towards the advanced side of SSS, being looser in late position and incorporating steals when appropriate. But in early and middle positions I stick strictly to the SHC. I'm always factoring long term equity into the evaluation of any hand I play pre-flop, which helps in folding the "good cards" I get out of position like AQS UTG. But in the blinds I will play many non SHC hands depending on the odds.

Today I'm going after Nl20 and hope to repeat the success I had at Nl10.

MJ

• hunt32
      hunt32
      Bronze
      You playing 11/8 [Vpip/pfr] SSS?

Although it's not big sample of hands you should make sure 100% that you follow the SSS. You should be like 5.5 - 6/5.5 - 6.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Yeh i'm not so sure they are SSS stats.
    • mintjelly
      mintjelly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by cannell555
      Yeh i'm not so sure they are SSS stats.
      Those stats are from Nl10 SSS. I don't do this anymore but when I started at that level I would play at tables that had less than 7 opponents, which probably accounts for certain %'s being higher .

MJ

• SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hey mintjelly,

As already stated above your stats are much too loose at the moment. You also seem to be limping/calling too much preflop (3% difference between VPIP/PFR).

Some of our German members experimented with a more advanced SSS adjusted for SH play - but the results were quite marginal - which is why I would try to stick to full FR tables.

For very good SSS coachings I can recommend visiting Leo and xarry2's coaching

Leo covers the basics of SSS (for a review check here: NL Basic Short Stack Strategy by Leo258)

and xarry goes into advanced SSS theory. He has very detailed and informative reviews in his thread: NL SSS Advanced by xarry2

Good luck at the tables!
      SoyCD
    • mintjelly
      mintjelly
      Bronze
      Thanks to all who replied,

It's been a couple of days and I've moved up from NL10 to NL20 and have now reached NL30(bankroll up to $181.38) :D !

[img][IMG]https://img258.imageshack.us/img258/8676/profitgraphzg6.th.png[/IMG][/img]

SoyCD: I agree that I was playing too loose particularly in late position and in the blinds. I have resolved myself to stick to the strategy and re-read/ watch all of the available materials.

Although here is an example of one of the SB scenarios that I find very tempting:

Known players:
      Hero:
      $4.37
      MP1:
      $19.70
      BU:
      $18.14
      UTG:
      $9.50
      UTG+1:
      $15.27
      UTG+2:
      $15.04
      MP2:
      $18.44
      MP3:
      $23.07
      CO:
      $4.13
      BB:
      $4.08

0.1/0.2 No-Limit Hold'em (10 handed)
      Hand recorder used for this poker hand: PokerStrategy Elephant 0.53 by www.pokerstrategy.com.

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7:spade: , 3:diamond: . CO posts a blind of $0.10.
      BB posted big blind of just $0.10 and is all-in.
      2 folds, UTG+2 calls $0.20, 3 folds, CO calls $0.20, BU folds, Hero calls $0.10, BB checks.

Flop: ($0.90) 7:diamond: , 7:club: , 6:heart: (4 players)
      Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks, CO checks.

Turn: ($0.90) 4:club: (4 players)
      Hero bets $0.70, BB folds, UTG+2 raises to $1.40, CO calls $1.40, Hero raises to $4.17 (All-In), UTG+2 calls $2.77, CO folds.

River: ($10.64) Q:diamond:

Final Pot: $10.64

Results follow (highlight to see):
      Hero shows three of a kind, sevens (7s 3d)
      UTG+2 shows two pairs, sevens and sixes (6s Ad)

Hero wins with three of a kind, sevens (7s 3d)

In situations like this I can easily let the hand go if the betting gets scary, but I also think of the implied odds of 7:1 (2 limpers and a check from BB)... I'm working on it.

I am now up to 10589 in hands and have stats from both Poker Office and Elephant. Some of the things I;d like to find out are:

-what is a good handrange flop percentage?
      -should I be showing a profit in the blinds?

[img][IMG]https://img78.imageshack.us/img78/7237/analysisst4.th.png[/IMG][/img] [img][IMG]https://img529.imageshack.us/img529/1436/positionyx5.th.png[/IMG][/img]

Anyway I'm open to suggestions and welcome any constructive criticism. Good luck at the tables all.

MJ

• mintjelly
      mintjelly
      Bronze
      To become a great poker player. To gain financial independence from playing poker. To play every hand with long term equity in mind. To commit to life long learning of the theories, principles and strategies of poker. To learn and grow from my failures and to never be satisfied with my successes.
    • SoyCD
      SoyCD
      Bronze
      Hey mintjelly

Even with 3 limpers I wouldn't complete with 73o since its just not good enough. You need to hit a true monster with it - and don't really have the implieds due to your small stack.

Although your Graph is very nice you are still playing much too loose it seems. Your VPIP should be under 10 and your PFR very close to it. I have seen solid SSS players with stats anywhere from 6/5,5 to at the most 8/7.

Here are some stats from helemaalnicks when he he doing his SSS project

(from SSS project by a SSS-hater)

I can applaud you on your attitude though - the correct mentality is the most important part of becoming a successful poker player (Professional Attitude)

Best regards,
      SoyCD
    • mintjelly
      mintjelly
      Bronze
      It's been a couple of days since my last post and here's what happened since I started playing at NL30 playing SSS:
      July 1 2008: It was a couple of days since my last session so before I started I made sure to re-watch the SSS NL25 vid by undercover82 to reacquaint myself with proper play. I found that one of the reasons my VPIP is so high is because I find myself completing(too much) in the SB ala' some of the theoretical situations undercover82 says he would complete in. The other reason my VPIP was so high is that when I tilt I tend to make calls that are not sound in SSS.
      So after that study and self evaluation session my stats were:

56 sessions, 1613 hands, 5.9BB/100 hands, VPIP 12.2%, PFR 7.3%, + $43.77, bankroll $225.15

I was definitely happy with the profit and bankroll result, but I still am working to fix the VPIP: PFR ratio and hopefully increase my hourly rate. So I reviewed my hands and vowed to myself to treat every hand as apart as one long session, to always be aware of my emotional state, play my A game and stick to the strategy.

July 2 2008: This session was interesting; I started playing on 5 tables and within the first 5 minutes I was dealt AA on two of the tables, AJ(CO) and AK.
      I played all 4 properly and got sucked out on all 4 simultaneously. The funny thing is I barley noticed, I just reminded myself that although they were good hands that I played properly, no hand is guaranteed to win and that I want my opponents to make those plays against me. This is how my day ended:

19 sessions, 849 hands, 6.65 BB/100 hands, VPIP 11.3% PFR 6.9% +$42.01, bankroll $266.86

It was a good day I overcame a trying first couple of minutes and had one of my most profitable sessions. I am curbing my calling and completing( in the blinds) and I feel like my game is advancing. But I'm always looking for ways to improve. For instance I found one hand in this session were I had AK made a standard raise but was re-raised and then the re-raise raised. When it came back to mee I pushed all-in and found myself against AA and KK and lost. I should have let it go. But I am pleased that my stats are starting to go in the right direction.

Here is the up to date graph of my results SSS'ing at Mansion:
      [img][IMG]https://img397.imageshack.us/img397/6739/profitgraphjuly2eb3.th.png[/IMG][/img]

Now I am looking to have another day or so like above and move onto NL50, get my gold status by Monday and attend Advanced SSS coaching on Wednesday.

Good luck at the tables all.

MJ

• p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      ur ID makes me think of mint choc chip mmm
    • TimothyVdp1
      TimothyVdp1
      Bronze
      nice graph, my stats after 30k hands (20k at 10NL and 10k at 25NL) are 6,73 vp$ip and 6,22PFR
      PFR for a SSS should be almost equal to vp$ip and u have almost double the 'normal' vp$ip so u're doing something wrong imo...
      are u sticking to the strategy?
      also 6bb/100hands is really, really, really high imo, u should be happy with 1,5 or so :)

nice blog!
    • mintjelly
      mintjelly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by TimothyVdp1
      nice graph, my stats after 30k hands (20k at 10NL and 10k at 25NL) are 6,73 vp$ip and 6,22PFR
      PFR for a SSS should be almost equal to vp$ip and u have almost double the 'normal' vp$ip so u're doing something wrong imo...
      are u sticking to the strategy?
      also 6bb/100hands is really, really, really high imo, u should be happy with 1,5 or so :)

nice blog!
      Hey TimothyVdp1,

thanks for the reply; I do stick to the strategy for the most part, my play varies from the CO-BB depending if I'm fisrt to open and other table dynamics. These variations are the same ones you here undercover82 describing in the NL25 vids. My stats are now heading towards the appropriate levels for SSS play but as for BB/100 hands I'll take what I can get :D

Good luck at the tables all.

MJ
    • Leo
      Leo
      Bronze
      Hey mintjelly,

Hope you are doing well =)

Graph looks quite nice... Could you tell me a bit more about your learning goals?
      Or maybe tell a bit more about your leaks and how you plan to fix these too? :)

Have a nice weekend ;)

Good luck,
      Leo
    • mintjelly
      mintjelly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Leo258
      Hey mintjelly,

Hope you are doing well =)

Graph looks quite nice... Could you tell me a bit more about your learning goals?
      Or maybe tell a bit more about your leaks and how you plan to fix these too? :)

Have a nice weekend ;)

Good luck,
      Leo

Hey Leo,

Hope you didn't hit the pub too hard last night :D

I can't say that I have any specific learning goals other than acquiring all available knowledge, analyzing my play and implementing new strategies as my limit and knowledge increase. I have completed the recommendations that were in your hints & tips doc. and I am open to any other suggestions. I've been mind mapping the info I come across so I can review and retain it easily, like so:

As for leaks, the ones that I'm aware of are: completing the SB too frequently(with other limpers), playing post-flop after my pre-flop raising hand becomes trash on the flop and not getting maximum value out of my made hands that come from freeplay situations.

My plan to fix these leaks is to continuously evaluate my game, keep attending and asking questions in the coaching sessions, constant review of the articles and videos and to post in and review the hand posting section.
      Also to always remember that there are always going to be areas of my game that I can improve on.

Laters,

MJ

• Zeffke
      Zeffke
      Bronze
      Wow very impressive mindmap ;) Keep taking this serious as you are doing now and you'll make nice progress ;)
    • Leo
      Leo
      Bronze
      Heya MJ,

Very nice mind map indeed!

The things you stated do seem like goals to me :D
      Just keep blogging about em and you'll be alright. Posting hands is really the way to go. With hands that you have already recognised in your review as being badly played, you should still post these imo. Maybe not in the hand judging forum but do so in your blog and post why you played the hand like this and why you shouldn't. A blog is also something for you yourself to look back at and remind you why you played in a certain way and why you don't any more. Furthermore it reminds you not to play hands like this.

Good luck!

Cya,
      Leo
    • mintjelly
      mintjelly
      Bronze
      It's been about 10 days since my last post and of those 10 days I played 6 of them. During this period I hit a bit of a "downswing" as it is affectionately called by many players on this site. It was actually a combination of a bit of good old fashioned variance coupled with some bad plays on my part. In two days my bankroll fell from $266 down to $160, but instead of starting a thread in the forum about how unlucky I am or how bad everyone else is; I looked at the "swing" as an opportunity to improve my game. I analyzed my hands, reviewed the hand posting thread, re-read some articles and I found some new plays to add to my arsenal. So I went back to the tables and here's my complete stat line for $30Nl:

300 sessions, 10128 hands, 4BB/100 hands, VPIP 10.3%, PFR 6.4%, +$121.19, bankroll $307.94

Here's the graph:

I now have enough to play NL50 and I'll take my first stab tomorrow.

MJ

• mintjelly
      mintjelly
      Bronze
      Well I took my first stab at NL50 yesterday and here's how it went:

25 Sessions, 630 Hands, 5.61BB/100 Hands, VPIP 9%, PFR 6.2%, +$35.32, Bankroll $343.26

Here's the graph:

[img][IMG]https://img106.imageshack.us/img106/4484/profitgraph15hu8.th.png[/IMG][/img]

Summary: It was an okay little session, I actually would have had more profit but ran into a couple more badbeats than usual but I played pretty good and I'm pleased that my stats are still trending towards those of a good SSS'er. Although I am aware that the disparity between my VPIP and PFR is too vast which means I should call and complete the SB less frequently and raise more.

This Morning I reached gold status and attended my first advanced SSS coaching and learned quite a bit like adjusting your reraise ranges against big satcks and many other useful tactics.

What's next:

- I'm going to read and map the gold articles. Watch some new vids. Learn BSS and attend all available SSS and BSS coachings.

Till next time...

MJ