chilling at heaven´s gate

• mateuszrybinski
      mateuszrybinski
      Bronze
      This blog will be my weekly summery of my game and what I have learned. I will also post much about the mental side and how I go about learning the game.

How am I?
      I'm student that have just finish high school and packet my bags and went out into the big world. Right now I'm in India living on couple of dollars per day and enjoying myself with Yoga, poker and good food. I'm in a holy city so non alcohol, meat or anything else exist here. I'm really living like a good boy :f_p:

My goal it to travel the world for about one to two years and enjoying every moment if it. When I come back to Sweden I will go straight in business as a entrepreneur and skip any higher school. Right now, I will treat poker as job and my goal is to get a better work discipline and earn some money in the process.

My longterm goals
      1. Become a good poker player
      2. Live of poker
      3. Start my own brand and a blog
      4. Start my company
      5. Start building my leagey
  • 2 replies
    • mateuszrybinski
      mateuszrybinski
      Bronze
      Week 42

Total hands played
      Win rate for all time
      BB/100: 3.79
      Total bankroll
      $37.01 (pokerstars)
      $3x (partypoker)

Note
      I have problem with Partypoker because they don't let my play in India. I will take out all my money when I get a chance.

My game for the week

Hands this week
      3,646 (-)
      Win rate for week 42
      BB/100: 8.82 (-)

Thought about my play
      This is my first week I play so I just started to adjust to playing poker. I feel that I have played really good for being a beginner. I did a mistake by playing in the evening and study the game in morning. I feel that I could play in the morning and study in evening. I feel it better because I'm more alart in the morning and the morning yoga session give a nice boost in energy. Also instead of review my session next day, I will instead review the same day.

Technical game

Leaks

Leaks I found and fixed
      Complete the blinds in SB - I felt that this was a good EV+ play but without any reads on my opponent, this play is not good as a standard call against a unknown because I will be raised to many times. And when I hit, I will be out of position and having hard time to get any value.

Bluff with low-medium pocket pairs - When I call a raiser I had this feeling that I could bluff instead of fold because I had invested money into the pot. Pocket pairs are not playable hands if I don't hit. I will often be against someone with something, based on his raise. And I will often need to do a total bluff with low pairs to win the pot.

Bluff against two or more opponents - This happen often with pocket pair when I call the raiser. Same thing as above, but worse!

Leaks to work on next week
      Don't follow my intuition - I often have this feeling that my opponent have a stronger hand than me, but I often have high or top pairs and I just don't fold! I have this really strong feeling that I should fold but I don't and next to always my intuition is right! I have lost really much in this leak, about maybe 4 dollars on 3,646 hands. I would have a winrate of 14 (BB/100) if I just followed my intuition.

How will I solve this leak?
      I will note and review all hands where I have a feeling that I should fold. I will follow my intuition but keep a close eye on my progress so I don't program a other leak into my game.

Fix my game from the blinds - I have a big problem when it comes to blind play. Even if I have to small sample size to see any good statistic over a specific hand I play, I can see a trend when I see over the graph.

My play from position 0-2: late position

My play from position 3-7: middle position

My play from position 8-9: blinds

Conclusion
      If I didn't play any hands from the blinds I would have a -16.5 EV per hundred hands. My rate of loss is over 4.3 times what I suppose to have. -72.48 (BB/100) is just extreme!

How will I solve this leak?
      I will stop play any spectacular hand from this position. And I will not try to bluff out of position without any reads.

Good things I have done to improve [technical]
      I have review my hands - I have review my hand and made notes of many hands. But only few hands have I posted.

Keep a eye on one opponent - To trained, I have looked at one opponent and try to see how he is playing. the player is to my right.

Study how to make advance calculations in poker - I will soon know how to make good equality calculations

Mental game

Mental problems
      Looking at profit or loss
      I have this problem that I look and calculate how much I have lost. This is good for stoploss to do, but in middle of the games it's bad timing. But the bigger problem is not that I do it but my reson. I do it because I want to know if I'm up or down. And if I believe that I'm down I will have this bad feeling. The emotion is not so strong that it makes me play bad but it make is easier for me to tilt. At least I believe it so.

How will I solve this mental problem?
      I will have it as a goal to find out how I going to solve this problem for next week. Don't have any good idea now.

Idea for next: Warm-up
      Next week I will implement a warm-up before I play. Everyone that is in a competitive sport and need to play his A-game to win have a warm-up. So even if I can probably play my B-game on NL2 and win - I feel that is a good idea to start early.

1. Remove any distractions. (1-3min)
      2. Review what I'm learning right now. (5-7min)
      3. Take a few deep breaths. (1-3min)

Total time: 7-13min
      (I start small but I will probly extend the warm-up.)

Good things I have done to improve [Mental]
      I write a log book - It's a log where I write before and after but also between the games. With this tool I have had the posibelty to see my mental problems and this is the first week. If a write every time and reflect over my mental and technical game I will get huge insight, that would take much longer if I didn't write.

Read the "mental game of poker" - Really good book to read about most mental problems in poker. The solutions are not so good but with a bit thinking and a basic knowledge in psychology I feel that I will have great benefit from this book.

Posted hands on PS.com - Posted some hand and have got good insight into my play. But I really can improve on this part. I should at least go over them two times and save them in Evernote for future reference.

For next week
      Post more hands - I need to anylize more hand because I make a review of a hand, but I don't post it.

Make screen-shots - Instead of writing the time something happends like "Look over what happen 3:43 PM" I should instead do a screen-shot. With the screen shot I can see the stats I had at the time but it also easier if I can find a program that can make a shot with in push of a botten, instead of needing to write down.

Goals for next week
      [ ] Play 7000 hands (6 x 1200 hands per day; no play at Sunday)
      [ ] Review all my sessions
      [ ] Start to use HUD
      [ ] Follow my warm-up routine

Game plan for next week
      Now I have routine and understand the basics so I feel this week will be very fun. I very optimistic and hyped to see how much I improve next week. This week I kind of saw many small leak that are not worth to mention but after I had improved I really felt I played better. This feeling is really great and I only expect more next week because I probably have many more leaks that I need to fix.
    • mateuszrybinski
      mateuszrybinski
      Bronze
      Week 43

Total hands played
      5,535 (1343+)
      Win rate for all time
      BB/100: 7.05 (3.26+)
      Total bankroll
      $39.47 ($2.46+) (pokerstars)
      $3x (partypoker)

Note
      I have problem with Partypoker because they don't let my play in India. I will take out all my money when I get a chance.

My game for the week

Hands this week
      1,330(-2316)
      Win rate for week 42
      BB/100: 17.59 (+8.77)

Thought about my play
      The first two day in the beginning of week, I was very tierd and I played very bad. So on the 25th I decided to only play on two tables and really try to read my opponents instead of play ABC. What a relief to play this way. I really feel that I can play my A game more because the game was much more fun. It was more about figuring out what my opponent will do instead of just following some chart. I can't say if I play good, because I'm also quite lucky the last hands, at showdown. But when I come to adapting, I really feel that I have a edge. I study when player go all-in with what hands, if opponents are tight or loose and what plan I should choose to play. It's really great feeling to steal the blind from tight players and 3-bet aggressive player that are very weak postflop.

But also I realise how bad some people play. I know it's NL2, I should not expect anything good, but I still thing is very funny. :P

I have also change how I go about playing poker. Before I played until i get tired but I think that approach was not so good. I get impaction, because I can continue to play for one or two hour and I will lose my concentration because of that. Now I put my timer on one hour and play with total focus - really nice solution.

I'm also really proud of myself. Playing in a coffee-shop in India creates some problem. Everybody pass on joints to everybody else which create little problem, you don't want to be rude. So when somebody pass on a joint, and I take a puff, I quit playing automatically. I don't even think about, so it's really nice.

Goals for week 43
      [ ] Play 7000 hands (Played 1,330, I really need to improve in this)
      [X] Review all my sessions
      [X] Start to use HUD
      [/] Follow my warm-up routine (didn't follow the point: review what I'm learning now)

Goals for next week
      [ ] Play 3, one hour sessions per day. (total 18 hours) [/I]
      [ ] Review all my sessions
      [ ] Follow my warm-up routine

Game plan for next week
      I feel that I have a better edge now when I study other players, and it also have made the game of poker more fun. So I'm really excited about playing next week and crunching NL2 hehe. I don't really have any learning plan for next week, I will just try to fix my leak and go on from there. I will study little about betting every day, and try to fix some leak I feel I have. I will also try to impalement different betting in different positions. So when I'm in late position i will bet 3BB instead of the standard 4BB. Also learn to adjust to my opponent on the flop. Now when the flop comes, aften say: this is a bad/good board and I go about form there. But I know that for a tight opponent a board like 7c6c5h is kind of dry but for a looser opponent this board can be very draw heavy. So change betting and adjust to my opponent on the flop.