NL25, SH, DrDunne (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      :diamond: :diamond: :diamond: NL10, SH, DrDunne :diamond: :diamond: :diamond:

Hello. This will be my second blog and hopefully my last. I feel like my first one was cluttered, so this time I plan to keep the updates more structured by making weekly updates. I will post my thoughts from the week and create some weekly goals. I’ll probably end up posting some graphs here and there, but generally I will keep it to a minimum because IMO posting graphs makes me results oriented. :)

Me
      I am 22, I have a degree in psychology and I may well do a masters in research methods and eventually shoot for a PhD studying human memory. I have played guitar for 14 years, and I enjoy going to the gym.

Poker
      I learned the rules of poker about 6 years ago when I was 16, but I absolutely SUCKED and I was a huge donk – used to play the play money tables on PartyPoker like a boss. When I got to university and started playing poker with a friend I started to try and get better, but I still sucked. I even had a PokerStrategy account at some point, but I didn’t even bother with it!

So in June last year I decided to scratch everything I knew about poker and went to the beginner’s MSS articles and videos here on PS. Before long my graph started going up from $20 to $50 on FTP and then it shut :rolleyes: . I felt like I had the basics of MSS down and I would actually recommend starting out on MSS to any totally new players. It not only teaches you how to play tight and aggressive but it also makes you really aware of position and, given how much of a preflop game it is, it seems much simpler since you don’t get many difficult postflop spots. At least at the very basic level of MSS!

So anyway, I decide...nately for me university got a bit stressful, so I decided to prioritise and I put my bankroll of $250 away until after my studies.

I couldn’t stay away for long and me and my friend deposited $10 into our accounts. We bet each other that the last person to reach $100 from $10 would buy the other one dinner. He still owes me dinner :D

By the time uni was over, I had somehow built up a few separate bankrolls from various small excess money, meaning I was well rolled for nl10. Despite that, I decided to ease back into the game and start out back at nl4/nl5 fullring. I sweated RasTweet and decided to play SH from that point onwards – so much more action compared to fullring! Anyway, moved up to nl10 eventually, broke even for a bit, complained in my old blog, made a coaching deal with EmanuelC16 (videos) and I’m now rolled for nl20 and nl25. My bankroll is conservative and I have more than enough money to play nl25/nl20.

Poker [tl;dr!]
      Started learning to play seriously in summer 2011. I had to take time out for university but used to play fullring up to nl10, and i moved to SH in June. Eventually moved up to nl10, i had some coaching with EmanuelC16 and I'm now shooting for nl€20 and nl$25, failing, rebuilding, re-shooting and repeating :D .

My poker goals for the future

:heart:P lay nl25 and nl20 (€) regularly as my "main" limit
      :diamond: Read a page of hand evaluations each day
      :club:P ost a few hands from each session
      :spade: Reach nl50 before December 2013

My irl goals for the future

:heart: Read my memory textbook each night
      :diamond: Gym regularly
      :club: Eat properly
      :spade: Practice guitar more
      :heart: Start teaching guitar again
      :diamond: Get some sort of job :f_confused: (or hit nl1k and pwn :D )
      :club: Decide wtf to do with studying
      :spade: Have more mathematics lessons from my brother :D
  • 259 replies
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      FIRST :s_cool:

EDIT: and subbed obviously!
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      First time I hear you have a degree in psychology!

Use that knowledge in poker imo. Poker is a lot more about psychology than cards since it's game where people constantly interact. I know some have trouble realizing this when they play online, however that will help you a lot imo.

You will be a NL20/NL25 winner by end of November if you keep up the good work you've been doing.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      third?

gogo :f_biggrin: poker goals definitely doable, may even be too easy to you but i also like setting light goals :P
    • ains21
      ains21
      Bronze
      Will be watching Lewis, you'll crush 25 soon NP! Nice graphs by the way. Gym and guitar also on my pre-masters list, surreal. You decided on any short list of places yet for masters btw? I'm in love with LSE but costs like £10k.
    • swanny36
      swanny36
      Bronze
      subscribed :f_biggrin:
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      @ manu
      it seems that the most psychology i can use is on myself.. and that's easier said than done! most of my studying was on stuff like nerve impulses, brain disorders, a bit of stress & health, violence and criminology so not too much to relate to poker. although i did write my dissertation on judgement and decision making but the moral of that story is that human beings are irrational :D

@ tomaloc
      i hope they are too easy :D maybe i should change it to nl100.. i guess a lot could happen in that time!

@ ains
      i was looking at LSE a while back actually.. and yea. 10k :f_o: but it does seem like a cool place..

@ swanny36
      hello and ty!
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DrDunne
      the moral of that story is that human beings are irrational
      That's the best thing you can use in poker really... you constantly try and make rational decisions and you think your opponents will do the same but as a default they will not!
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Originally posted by EmanuelC16
      Originally posted by DrDunne
      the moral of that story is that human beings are irrational
      That's the best thing you can use in poker really... you constantly try and make rational decisions and you think your opponents will do the same but as a default they will not!
      aaand by assuming that in the first place it makes us irrational :D or something like that lol. i can see how it applies but it seems that it isn't much help to me atm. maybe im being ignorant and will never really understand it until i understand it :f_biggrin:
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      It's irrational to believe others think like you. That's where a problem starts in poker as well.

You'll get there once you see tables full of 'regs' instead of 60/0 whales. :D
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Oh, and you are already using that thinking at fishy tables anyway.. But it's way more obvious here that people don't play like you that you don't even second guess your thinking. Once you see how players that look about the same as you act in a lot of situations you'll understand better what I mean.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      what a day! i think i'm falling for the trap of overadjusting to the new limit without even knowing it.... i think nl20 is really helping me at nl10 tho. it makes nl10 look like a playground :D

also just seen i have a fair few tourneys to play at partypoker in november:

$2,000 Card Rush Tournament - 13:30 ET 02/11/12

$3,000 Card Rush Tournament – 14:30 ET 02/11/12

$7,500 Card Rush Tournament – 14:30 ET 04/11/12

$10,000 Card Rush Tournament – 14:00 ET 05/11/12

i've yet to ship a tourney, but maybe i'll read a bit of tourney strategy. that + return of FTP = good start to month imo!
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      so nl20 has been going worse than i expected.. which is to be expected :D i have obviously been over-thinking everything and making terrible "adjustments". regs seem to like 4betting with hands like AQ and calling 4bets with KTs along with other crap.. shame for me but i'm now on the verge of moving back to nl10 to rebuild. despite that i was feeling sensible today and decided to play a session at nl20 while i am still rolled for it... i am thankful that it was break even :D

here are some hands.

$0.10/$0.20 No Limit Holdem
      Prima
      6 Players
      Hand Conversion Powered by weaktight.com

Stacks:
      UTG ($21.02) 105bb
      UTG+1 ($20.20) 101bb
      DrDunne (CO) ($30.58) 153bb
      BTN ($25.62) 128bb
      SB ($19.73) 99bb
      BB ($47.36) 237bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.30, 6 players) DrDunne is CO K:heart: K:diamond:
      UTG raises to $0.80, 1 fold, DrDunne raises to $2.40, 3 folds, UTG calls $1.60

Flop: 5:diamond: 3:club: Q:heart: ($4.30, 2 players)
      UTG checks, DrDunne bets $3.80, UTG calls $3.80

Turn: J:heart: ($11.90, 2 players)
      UTG checks, DrDunne bets $7, UTG goes all-in $14.82, DrDunne folds

Final Pot: $33.72

UTG wins $33.19 (net +$12.97)

DrDunne lost $13.20

unknown on anon table - reggy stats for the small sample. when he raise/calls OOP like this i think he does have an extremely tight range. i decided to bet the turn and planned to check behind any river and fold to any further action. i didn't want to check back the turn because i will most likely face a bet on the river and not know what to do. vs his play i think his range is pretty much JJ/QQ, maybe he is overvaluing AQ but i think that's a long shot.

Prima
      5 Players

Stacks:
      UTG ($13.78) 69bb
      CO ($21.42) 107bb
      BTN ($7.53) 38bb
      SB ($10.95) 55bb
      DrDunne (BB) ($23.46) 117bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.30, 5 players) DrDunne is BB 10:spade: 10:club:
      UTG raises to $0.60, 1 fold, BTN calls $0.60, 1 fold, DrDunne calls $0.40

Flop: 5:club: 5:heart: 2:club: ($1.70, 3 players)
      DrDunne checks, UTG bets $0.90, BTN folds, DrDunne calls $0.90

Turn: 6:spade: ($3.50, 2 players)
      DrDunne checks, UTG bets $1.80, DrDunne calls $1.80

River: 7:diamond: ($7.10, 2 players)
      DrDunne checks, UTG goes all-in $10.48, DrDunne folds

Final Pot: $17.58

UTG wins $17.42 (net +$3.64)

BTN lost $0.60
      DrDunne lost $3.10

villain is fishy over 30 hands. not exactly sure how else i could have played here. maybe it was a good spot to lead this flop? at the time i told myself i would call the turn and call any blank river, but i don't actually think there is a blank river. any broadway definitely can help his wide range and any other card can complete a straight or some other hand that crushes mine so maybe i could have just check/folded the turn.

Prima
      6 Players

Stacks:
      UTG ($19.76) 99bb
      UTG+1 ($28.02) 140bb
      CO ($25.26) 126bb
      BTN ($21.20) 106bb
      DrDunne (SB) ($20.10) 101bb
      BB ($16.94) 85bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.30, 6 players) DrDunne is SB A:diamond: K:club:
      UTG calls $0.20, 3 folds, DrDunne raises to $1, 1 fold, UTG calls $0.80

Flop: 8:club: 6:club: J:club: ($2, 2 players)
      DrDunne bets $1.40, UTG raises to $4, DrDunne folds

Final Pot: $7.40

UTG wins $7.35 (net +$2.55)

DrDunne lost $2.40
      villain is unknown and seems fishy over 17 hands, mainly calling preflop and not much more to say after he limp/calls UTG. i thought it was a great flop to Cbet since i have the FD and 2 overs. this is a bit stupid now because the board is so wet and im in the hand with a fish = 0 FE. i probably should have just check/folded this flop.

aaaand finally... it's nice to hold up, but its a shame that i feel like i need to cooler people to win a pot!

Prima
      6 Players

Stacks:
      UTG ($20.90) 105bb
      UTG+1 ($24.18) 121bb
      CO ($20) 100bb
      BTN ($33.10) 166bb
      SB ($25.63) 128bb
      DrDunne (BB) ($25.86) 129bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.30, 6 players) DrDunne is BB A:diamond: A:heart:
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.60, SB raises to $2.20, DrDunne raises to $6, BTN folds, SB goes all-in $23.43, DrDunne calls $19.63

Flop: 3:club: 3:diamond: J:diamond: ($45.86, 2 players, 1 all-in)

Turn: 5:heart: ($45.86, 2 players, 1 all-in)

River: J:club: ($45.86, 2 players, 1 all-in)

Final Pot: $45.86
      SB shows
      K:spade: K:heart:
      DrDunne shows
      A:diamond: A:heart:

DrDunne wins $49.27 (net +$29.64)

BTN lost $0.60
      SB lost $25.63
      should have made my 4bet to like €5 but who cares.
    • roopopper
      roopopper
      Bronze
      1st hand.....you nit lewis...shove allin :f_biggrin:
      2nd hand.....you nit lewis ...shove allin :f_biggrin:
      3rd hand......nice fold :s_cool:

IMHO :)
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      roo! nice of you to drop by! your hand evaluations are always welcome ofc :)

Originally posted by roopopper
      3rd hand......nice fold :s_cool:
      maybe i should have 3bet broke ?(

im actually a favourite against a pretty narrow range stacking off range..
    • yougotfelted51
      yougotfelted51
      Bronze
      Dr. Dunne
      I've been finding nl20 players very odd as well. flatting 4bets oop with A3s/88 etc. For me it has been tough adjusting as on NL25 zoom on stars flats of 4bets are usually pretty nutty :s_frown:

1st hand: what about checking back turn and calling non Ax/Qx rivers?
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Originally posted by yougotfelted51
      Dr. Dunne
      I've been finding nl20 players very odd as well. flatting 4bets oop with A3s/88 etc. For me it has been tough adjusting as on NL25 zoom on stars flats of 4bets are usually pretty nutty :s_frown:
      yeah it's really strange. i end up running into their monsters because they do stuff like that as well :f_confused:

where do you play nl20??

Originally posted by yougotfelted51
      1st hand: what about checking back turn and calling non Ax/Qx rivers?
      i thought about that but then he could bet any amount.. i just wanted to bet enough my self on the turn and not get into more trouble on the river. but yeah i checking back the turn to call a blank river would also be a good idea. it could actually save money..
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      funny and interesting quote by mr balugawhale that really applies to me atm...

people understand preflop aggression. but as soon as you start putting pressure on him postflop, what does he do? he clams up and becomes just the same old passive guy that everyone else is. he's like, "oh my god, she's raising a J66 board. i have outs! i have outs! i'll call - maybe i'll get lucky. oh i missed. she bet again. oh no. ok i fold".

:f_o:
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      couple of interesting hands today @nl10.

villain seems to bet pot with an air-heavy range. stats are 42/25, 3bets 13% and AF = 4.3 all over 142 hands. i have him marked yellow, which is aggressive and bad so i expect him to bluff a lot.

$0.05/$0.10 No Limit Holdem
      Prima
      5 Players

Stacks:
      UTG ($20.56) 206bb
      CO ($18.26) 183bb
      DrDunne (BTN) ($11.05) 111bb
      SB ($13.92) 139bb
      BB ($9.55) 96bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.15, 5 players) DrDunne is BTN 7:diamond: A:spade:
      2 folds, DrDunne raises to $0.20, 1 fold, BB calls $0.10

Flop: 2:heart: J:club: J:spade: ($0.35, 2 players)
      BB checks, DrDunne checks

Turn: 7:heart: ($0.35, 2 players)
      BB bets $0.45, DrDunne calls $0.45

River: 6:club: ($1.25, 2 players)
      BB bets $1.35, DrDunne calls $1.35

Final Pot: $3.95
      DrDunne shows
      7:diamond: A:spade:
      BB shows
      10:heart: K:club:

DrDunne wins $3.85 (net +$1.85)

BB lost $1.90

i don't cbet the flop since i figure i have little fold equity and i can't be sure that i'm ahead yet. i pick up some SDV ott which imo would be great for bluffcatching - he has very few value hands in his range here, and i know he can play draws aggressively because i have seen it. so once he bets pot i call with the intention of calling a lot of rivers. going over the hand now i'm not too sure my line is very good but the thing is, i don't think im behind much on the turn and if i call the turn i have to call this river especially vs him. thoughts?

this hand was strange. i don't normally get into spots like this because don't normally call 3bets OOP.. maybe it's just a standard 4bet/broke hand i dunno.

villain is a reg. 22/17, 3bets 6.9% although 10% on the BU. AF = 6.2 and he doesn't go to SD much (20% and doesn't do well there either, winning only 42%) - all over 558 hands.

Prima
      5 Players

Stacks:
      DrDunne (UTG) ($14.69) 147bb
      CO ($10.68) 107bb
      BTN ($10.05) 101bb
      SB ($10) 100bb
      BB ($21.43) 214bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.15, 5 players) DrDunne is UTG Q:heart: Q:club:
      DrDunne raises to $0.30, 1 fold, BTN raises to $1.25, 2 folds, DrDunne calls $0.95

Flop: 4:spade: 9:spade: 10:spade: ($2.35, 2 players)
      DrDunne checks, BTN bets $1.45, DrDunne calls $1.45

Turn: 3:diamond: ($5.25, 2 players)
      DrDunne checks, BTN checks

River: 3:heart: ($5.25, 2 players)
      DrDunne bets $3, BTN goes all-in $7.35, DrDunne calls $4.35

Final Pot: $16.95
      BTN shows
      A:club: K:diamond:
      DrDunne shows
      Q:heart: Q:club:

DrDunne wins $19.24 (net +$12.49)

BTN lost $10.05

i decide to call here... honestly, i can't remember why but surely it can't be that bad.. so he cbets a little over half pot, which is to be expected and i can't fold yet since i am ahead of a lot here so i call. once he checks behind on the turn, i don't think he has a flush, KK+, or a set. flushes just continue betting, KK+ bet for value & protection as well as 99/TT. he can easily have JJ/AK/AQ maybe even AJ. i also think he would play a 1 card flush draw aggressively too.. on the river i bet for value against this range and i was extremely surprised to see him shove even though he doesn't have much left. i was about to fold but the way the hand played out, i don't know if i can believe he has a flush or a FH since it doesn't make sense for him to play that way, and i also did show a bit of weakness so maybe he thinks there's fold equity there. thoughts? not sure if it was spew or not.

last hand is fun. i have no dynamic with this guy yet, although i did see he was quite aggro hence the turn check. board isn't amazing but hey ho. if only it were always this easy. the next few hands i hit against him meant he just spewed like crazy :D

Prima
      6 Players

Stacks:
      UTG ($9.55) 96bb
      DrDunne (UTG+1) ($10) 100bb
      CO ($10.23) 102bb
      BTN ($10) 100bb
      SB ($34.01) 340bb
      BB ($16.65) 167bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.15, 6 players) DrDunne is UTG+1 7:heart: 7:club:
      1 fold, DrDunne raises to $0.30, 2 folds, SB calls $0.25, 1 fold

Flop: K:club: 7:diamond: 9:diamond: ($0.65, 2 players)
      SB checks, DrDunne bets $0.50, SB raises to $2.20, DrDunne calls $1.70

Turn: J:club: ($4.55, 2 players)
      SB goes all-in $31.51, DrDunne goes all-in $7.50

River: 3:diamond: ($19.55, 2 players, 2 all-in)

Final Pot: $19.55
      DrDunne shows
      7:heart: 7:club:
      SB shows
      9:heart: 7:spade:

DrDunne wins $19.10 (net +$9.60)

SB collects $24.01 (net -$9.95)
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Time for my first weekly update...

Nearly finished recording the video series with Emanuel, second to last video will probably be uploaded in the next few days. It will be an in depth review of some hands I played at nl20. Speaking of which, my shot at nl20 is over and I am back down to nl10 now for a while rebuilding. I have >25 stacks for the next limit, but honestly it doesn’t feel like enough for me.

I started playing nl20 with a fairly clear head, everyone was pretty much unknown and I was feeling confident after running well at nl10. I even won about 3BI over the first 2k hands, but obviously as is to be expected, the inevitable happened and I not only ran bad, but I got totally run over, exploited and just generally owned. I freaked out at how aggressive it was and then got owned some more. I told myself I would play one more session and if I lose another stack then it’s back to nl10 – I lost a stack (see deepstacked AK hand in the video which will be released soon). I don’t really believe variance was much to blame with all of this, but more that my mindset let me down this time. If I can explain my thoughts, it was that I was so desperate not to lose money, and so desperate to win a first few stacks to get me comfortable playing there. This meant I had an extremely results-oriented approach and this = disaster when trying to move up.

I played a few sessions at nl10 and feel so confident there now. In fact, before I tried nl20 I was still even a little unsure of nl10, but now after playing higher I feel that I can really stick with my reads and generally experiment a little more. Over the last 25k hands at nl10 I’m running super hot (11bb/100), so obviously I feel like I’ve improved... who wouldn’t :D . The same thing happened when I first moved to nl4 – I freaked out, got coolered, tilted some BI and moved back to nl2. After 2 days playing nl2 again I was back at nl4 since I felt more confident in my game. Maybe for this reason it could be a really good idea to shoot for the next limit a bit more liberally in future – it might build more confidence my ‘usual’ game.
      I have been reading and studying since losing at nl20 and I feel like a couple of postflop concepts have ‘clicked’ and that I understand them a little better. Will try to think about them and look for spots to implement them while playing.

Finally, I’ve added 2 more tables to my usual and so I now play 6 tables (if traffic allows). This way I can actually get in more than just a few hundred hands each time I play since I found myself getting bored before on just 4.

tl;dr = back to nl10, running good (& feeling good, obv is obv).